Josh Magennis - Self-Confessed Cheat

Strachan was spot on when he said there are no morals in football.

Yup. To put it in the harshest possible situation I'd take one of my players diving to win a last minute penalty in a cup final/play-off whatever every day, and most football fans would say the same I'm sure. McGowan made a good point on Sportsound I thought - nobody sits and says "Oh well done that guy for staying on his feet." That isn't remembered, so why not try to take advantage and win something for your team.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quitongo's Left Peg, on 17 Feb 2015 - 10:37, said:

Yup. To put it in the harshest possible situation I'd take one of my players diving to win a last minute penalty in a cup final/play-off whatever every day, and most football fans would say the same I'm sure. McGowan made a good point on Sportsound I thought - nobody sits and says "Oh well done that guy for staying on his feet." That isn't remembered, so why not try to take advantage and win something for your team.

McGowan is talking shite. I've heard commentators and pundits come out with that very phrase a shitload of times.

That said, I can't really bring myself to care about diving. Cheating is cheating and it goes on all the way through every game that gets played. I think bad tackles and violent conduct are pretty much the only things in that respect that annoy me.

Magennis on Sportsound earlier tonight admitting that he goes down if he feels any contact, light or heavy, in the box. He basically said if he feels any contact in the penalty area then he is going down and giving the ref a decision to make - in other words, he's a dirty, diving cheat.

He later attempted to retract his statement in the programme after being told he was getting a barrage of abuse online but the damage had already been done.

Hopefully he has just talked himself out of a few stonewallers in future games.

It will be on listen again somewhere if anyone can be arsed digging out the link. I can't.

I know what you are saying and I agree with you on that but nearly every player does that these days, any sign of contact and they are going down. Some are very clever and move their leg to so the defender clips them. I don't like it but sadly it is the way the game has gone.

I can't talk for anyone else, but not for me. Where's the glory in walking away from a cup final knowing your team has just won it by cheating?

McGowan is talking shite. I've heard commentators and pundits come out with that very phrase a shitload of times.

That said, I can't really bring myself to care about diving. Cheating is cheating and it goes on all the way through every game that gets played. I think bad tackles and violent conduct are pretty much the only things in that respect that annoy me.

I took it to mean that there isn't a tangible reward for a player who stays on his feet rather than going down.

I can't talk for anyone else, but not for me. Where's the glory in walking away from a cup final knowing your team has just won it by cheating?

It wouldn't be the sole reason for you winning the cup though. Your team would have had to perform well up until that point.

And your telling me that David Clarkson goes down easily in the box against Rangers at Hampden next season, Harkins steps up and fires the penalty home... That you wouldn't be celebrating and then having a mental night out in Dundee after?

*Imagines walking away from Hampden after seeing Thistle parade a Cup on the back of dubious officiating*

You're right, that sounds terrible, I'd hate that.

It wouldn't be the sole reason for you winning the cup though. Your team would

It wouldn't be the sole reason for you winning the cup though. Your team would have had to perform well up until that point.

And your telling me that David Clarkson goes down easily in the box against Rangers at Hampden next season, Harkins steps up and fires the penalty home... That you wouldn't be celebrating and then having a mental night out in Dundee after?

Please don't say David Clarkson and Dundee next season in the same sentence. It's not funny or cool.

Rangers at Hampden next season is quite an unsavoury thought as well. Unless they get drawn against QP in the Petrofac Training Cup.

John Baird went down like a sack of totties after a Queens Park player breathed on him at Hampden a couple of seasons ago and I spent the next 5 mins berating the diving c**t.

I can't be doing with it.

John Baird went down like a sack of totties after a Queens Park player breathed on him at Hampden a couple of seasons ago and I spent the next 5 mins berating the diving c**t.

I can't be doing with it.

Can't be doing with it either, I'm amazed that so many can't be bothered about players cheating, what's their opinion of a ref making an honest mistake or two?

Staggie52, on 17 Feb 2015 - 12:26, said:

Can't be doing with it either, I'm amazed that so many can't be bothered about players cheating, what's their opinion of a ref making an honest mistake or two?

Feel the same way about that as well. Annoying at the time, but pretty easy to get over.

I didn't compare the two. I was putting five league goals in context.

I quite like josh Magennis as a player - his finishing is honking but he is a decent focal point and works hard. Saying what he did was pretty daft though.

However, no matter how you dress it up 5 goals for a striker is a poor return (particularly as an ever present).

To give you a bit of additional context, Dundees championship standard right back (according to some), Gary Irvine, has scored 1 less than big josh - primarily from out of position in a left back berth. What does this prove? Well f**k all really...

As I've always said, Josh has always reminded me of Conor Sammon. I still think he could get double figures this season. Then if we play to his strengths next season, we could have a goal scoring striker, who gives the club a healthy profit and then goes back to his old self when at his new club.

I love it when fans call 'cheat' for opposition but 'won' for their own players. For the context of this post I've decided to use the latter. Every team in the country has a player who 'wins' penalties. For the seething Dundee fans, have a look back at Harkins 'winning' a penalty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtI9_Ye9Nmo if someone brushed passed me in the street and I went down like that I'd be committed. I might have missed the thread dedicated to it though as he wasn't brave enough to admit to 'winning' it.

I've no idea why diving brings out the eye-popping saliva firing fury in people so much. Literally everyone that's ever played football at any level has cheated, and if you're claiming you haven't, you're a liar or an entirely fictional saint. You've pulled jerseys, you've left a foot in, you'll have claimed for things that aren't yours, you've left a leg hanging if someone has gone past you.

I've never dived playing football, because I don't have the co-ordination for it, and I'm so slow I'd never sell it... But cheating is cheating. Everyone cheats. Splitting hairs about a particular type of cheating has always seemed weird to me.

I love it when fans call 'cheat' for opposition but 'won' for their own players. For the context of this post I've decided to use the latter. Every team in the country has a player who 'wins' penalties. For the seething Dundee fans, have a look back at Harkins 'winning' a penalty

if someone brushed passed me in the street and I went down like that I'd be committed. I might have missed the thread dedicated to it though as he wasn't brave enough to admit to 'winning' it.
There's a difference between out and out diving and making the most of genuine contact.

Connolly blocked Harkins run there, if Harkins stays on his feet you are relying on the ref interpreting it correctly. If you go down you provide the best chance of him seeing it. Yes it is cringey, yes it's a bit embarrassing but there's an infringement there so why not highlight it? (I'm not saying Harkins has never dived btw - just this incident in particular there is contact)

Then you have out and out cheaters who dive or take a fall with zero contact and appeal for a penalty. I'm struggling to think of a recent example but we all know it happens. From memory I can't think of any of the Magennis incidents talked about.

Taking advantage of contact as Magennis states is not cheating, it's gamesmanship and part and parcel of our game. The contact in question may not be enough to knock a 6 foot plus player down but it might be enough to stop him carrying out whatever piece of play he was about to and therefore cost possession.ora chance at goal.

We need refs to be 100% correct all the time to avoid players having to highlight contact, unfortunately refs are fallible so players will continue to do so. You can accept the reality of it or gnash and wail about it. It will never change regardless.

Straight up divers are a different kettle of fish of course but I don't think Magennis said that he outright dived? More made the most of contact?

Archived