Josh Magennis - Self-Confessed Cheat

Magennis on Sportsound earlier tonight admitting that he goes down if he feels any contact, light or heavy, in the box. He basically said if he feels any contact in the penalty area then he is going down and giving the ref a decision to make - in other words, he's a dirty, diving cheat.

He later attempted to retract his statement in the programme after being told he was getting a barrage of abuse online but the damage had already been done.

Hopefully he has just talked himself out of a few stonewallers in future games.

It will be on listen again somewhere if anyone can be arsed digging out the link. I can't.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His defence for the penalties against us seemed to be that Willie Collum reckoned it was a foul. Flawless argument.

Only 10 minutes after Willie Collum had been slated on the same programme for being a shite ref and making some bizarre (non) decisions.

Being a Killie fan would love to defend him but i heard the interview and it made me cringe, was not what i wanted to hear from a Killie player. If i was a ref someone would have to remove Josh's head from his shoulders with an axe before i would give him a penalty

Magennis on Sportsound earlier tonight admitting that he goes down if he feels any contact, light or heavy, in the box. He basically said if he feels any contact in the penalty area then he is going down and giving the ref a decision to make - in other words, he's a dirty, diving cheat.

He later attempted to retract his statement in the programme after being told he was getting a barrage of abuse online but the damage had already been done.

Hopefully he has just talked himself out of a few stonewallers in future games.

It will be on listen again somewhere if anyone can be arsed digging out the link. I can't.

Dundee fans bottling the top 6 race already.

Always been a very fine line between playing for a penalty and diving.

Rooney played for a penalty tonight - it wasnt cheating in that instance.

It was a clear dive, what are you talking about?

I was only half listening to it but I thought Magennis, backed up by Ryan McGowan, said that managers actively encourage players to go down. That's a far bigger issue than having a go at one player.

Correct they both said that if you had the chance to win a penalty and did not go down then the manager would put you on the naughty step

I don't have a problem with it, tbh.

Get ta f**k. You're the sort that would be red in the face baying for somebody's blood if they went down under minimal contact. Probably boo them throughout the rest of the game.

Or do you mean you don't have a problem with it if it's a United player going down or a United manager encouraging it?

This sort of shite annoys me.

Most frustrating thing in the world is watching Clarkson go down with the slightest of contacts in any area and then spending energy screaming and chasing the ref when he could have battled for something. There are times he is genuinely fouled but refs know what he's like so he's unlikely to get the benefit of the doubt.

Archived