Josh Magennis - Self-Confessed Cheat

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This reminds me of what Danny Swanson said after his shameful dive got Steven Anderson sent off in 2011:

"I kind of read him coming in and took a fall. I wouldn't say I dived.

"I thought he did catch me. I have been knocked, I felt a contact and went down. I knocked it far in front of me, I saw the leg and went over it.

"The gaffer called it before the game, he said that if you get running at them someone will get sent off. That's what I did and that's what happened.

"I don't want to get people sent off but I want to do as much to help my team as possible."

Also amusing to see everyone so worked up about big Josh, probably because of their (St Mirren fans, especially) writing him off in the summer that has proved pretty silly. Hasn't played upfront every week, far from it, and has scored five this season. To put that in context, St Mirren - the club that rejected him the summer, have only managed ten home goals between the entire team. David Goodwillie has only scored one more in a far better team. You could double the goalscoring record of any current St Mirren player and they'd still be a goal behind Josh. He should have scored more, that's without question, but I'd take him over plenty of current Premiership strikers. Lee Miller included.

He has his very obvious flaws, finishing being one of them. But he's been a good addition to the squad this season and his hard work will continue to pay off. What he said on Sportsound was that if a player clips him or someone makes a rash challenge in the box then he'll take advantage of that. I wonder how many players wouldn't?

He deserves a kick in his Killie peh, probably. I sometimes wish Thistle players would be a bit more canny in the box though :(

I know what you mean.

I sometimes wish Dougie Imrie would play for a foul or penalty, rather than always trying to stay on his feet.

It works both ways, how often to you see defenders under pressure from a striker and as soon as he puts his hand on the defender,he falls down and gets a free kick. I think he cheated to get the penalties against us but he's right, Collum fell for it. He chanced his arm and it paid off.

Footballers must have a unwritten rule between them, they are pals off the pitch but I think sportsmanship goes out the window and the majority would do anything to get the 3 points. Same with managers, is anyone actually surprised to hear about managers encouraging players to dive? That's why you hardly see any of them condone it if there player is guilty of it. It's their livelihood at stake, dog eat dog ect .

Strachan was spot on when he said there are no morals in football.

What? Rooney's dive tonight wasn't cheating?

Fucking hell.

Well it was Wayne Rooney, so it couldn't be :rolleyes:

To credit Magennis, he is only being honest about something the majority of players now do. Look at Rooney last night - Neville and the owl were falling over backwards to defend him.

Archived