St Mirren - Accies

if anyone thinks we now have a million quid to throw at transfer fees they clearly don't understand the basic economics involved in running a football club.

I think I do understand the basic economics of running a football club. Since 2008 Accies have taken in over £6 million in transfer fees. The figure is probably nearer £7 but I can't verify if we got appearance add ons for Macarthur/Mccarthy.

We have spent in the same time frame on transfer fees £322,000. Basically Cerny and Casalinouvo and a few minor lower league signings. We have spent in excess of £4 million clearing debt, putting down 2 artificial pitches, relaying a grass pitch and undersoil heating, a temporary stand, 5 a side pitch etc. Not disagreeing with any of this, its why we are in the position we are in. It also reenforces why youth is the way forward.

But at a time of need I think it would have been good basic economics to have spent a small fraction, say £250,000, at the most, (not a million (s) ) on bringing in 1/2 proven players with plenty of life left to allow continued development and complement our youth. Instead we are in a position if it continues that performances on the field are deteriorating, confidence is going and we are relying on a 36 year old striker as our main target man. And I’m not hung up on Loy, quite rightly we would never have offered him a 3 year contract.

Good basic economics should be backed up by good basic flexible business planning. The last couple of months have shown a bit too much inflexibility in our ‘ethos’.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can assure you Alfie that none of that was aimed at you. You are, and generally always have been one of the more level headed posters I've come across.Or aimed at anyone in particular really. Just think some of the reactions are knee-jerk at best.

We have brought Jason Scotland back and singed Hasselbaink as well as a couple other foreigners. Not to mention extra coaches. There's, at least, 100K a year in wages gone already.

While I feel it could have perhaps been better spent, I find the penny pinching accusations unfounded.

Booker D it wasn’t taken personally. Just as you get frustrated with claims of penny pinching I have got frustrated at claims that some are suggesting spending millions on players. I’ve done a bit of trawling to get my figures but have not taken into account signing on fees and when you look at the number of players we have signed in the last few years particularly under Billy, we must have spent a sizeable figure on same. We are probably not a million miles apart in viewpoints. I would have liked to see a bit spent as I suggested. It ain’t going to happen and no I don’t object to a dome just think we could do both. Onwards and currently downwards :huh:

Oh dear, think you've got the wrong end of the stick there S4T.

I was using the 'applause' gif to indicate my total agreement with Booker's post.

I thought it was a Leonard Nimoy tribute. Forums, eh?

Well enjoy it lads when season ticket sales halve again if no decent players are signed.

Folk I know who have been going for 30 odd years are more disgruntled at this lack of ambition now than they have been since the Watson/homeless years.They perceived this as the chance to fight for our highest ever finish and the chance to become the main side in Lanarkshire after years of the likes of John Boyle raiding Hamilton schools for fans.Our chance to ram it up them,the way they did at our low points.That's gone.They will beat us in a few weeks and once we go down meekly next season,normal order will be restored.

Accies were steadily,slowly, but surely increasing the fan base.A good singing support,lots of kids and lapsed fans all coming back to the fold and a feeling we were going somewhere,fighting against all those clubs who had written us off.

Keep this ONE goal from open play in TEN games approach and you will see home support back to the sub 500 home fans level in the bad years.Folk won't waste hard earned money watching a club who they feel have no ambition is as simple as that.

Just watched the highlights. From what was shown we deserved to win, MacKinnon also looks like a thug, I thought Jason Scotland was going to belt him! If that's going on in the team then something isn't right. I also found out that Sadlier was on loan from West Ham...either that or the commentator doesn't know what he's talking about.

Just watched the highlights. From what was shown we deserved to win, MacKinnon also looks like a thug, I thought Jason Scotland was going to belt him! If that's going on in the team then something isn't right. I also found out that Sadlier was on loan from West Ham...either that or the commentator doesn't know what he's talking about.

He clearly doesn't. Sadlier was freed by West Ham and is out player.

Ross County could be coming to ours on the back of 4 wins in a row, if they take care of Partick on Saturday. Stick on away win anyway and I feel that will be that and MC/CS/GB will be gone. Hope MC stays on as a player though.

A really miserable day in Paisley. McKinnon was a disgrace. I hate to say it but aside from Ziggy, McGovern and Jason, the whole squads attitude was honking and an insult to the fans who made the effort to turn out.

Saw more passion at the train station from the local who took exception to a song about his hometown.

Archived