Rifkind and Straw

Crùbag

Seems like nothing has been learned. Westminster is still a sleazepit. To think we voted to retain their power over us....

Rifkind bragging about how much time he has on his hands too. I'll mind that the next time the Tories go after 'benefit cheats'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31580374

Tossers.

It is claimed that Mr Straw was recorded describing how he operated "under the radar" and had used his influence to change EU rules on behalf of a firm which paid him £60,000 a year.

On the subject of payment, Mr Straw is heard saying: "So normally, if I'm doing a speech or something, it's £5,000 a day, that's what I charge."

Sir Malcolm is reported to have claimed he could arrange "useful access" to every British ambassador in the world.

The Conservative MP for Kensington and chairman of Parliament's Intelligence and Security Committee was recorded saying: "I am self-employed - so nobody pays me a salary. I have to earn my income."

He said his usual fee for half a day's work was "somewhere in the region of £5,000 to £8,000".

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Intelligence committee chairman Malcolm Rifkind, when asked by undercover reporters how he could help a fictional Chinese company:

“You’d be surprised how much free time I have. I spend a lot of time reading, I spend a lot of time walking. I’m self-employed. So nobody pays me a salary.”

Rifkind forgetting he gets £67k in benefits from us to fritter away his 'free time'.

http://order-order.com/2015/02/22/straw-and-rifkind-caught-in-cash-for-access-scandal/

This and the Lords chipping their tuppenceworth about young Scots and voting rights. Not that the Lords are exposed to the scrutiny of an election of course.

Demolish the whole lot and start again. Rifkind thinks he's 'entitled' to a fat salary and not subject to the law for peddling influence.

***Spit***

they are probably lucky the media doesn't go after their MPs, I suspect.

Luck has nothing to do with it.

You couldonly imagine the venom that the UK media would unleash on any SNP MP or SNP who was even remotely involved in what is seen as normal practice in the UK parliament.

Especially embarrassing for Jack Straw, a Labour MP for Blackburn remember, to be sleazing away for a £5,000 a day speech fee.

It might not be illegal but it shows just how remote the political class are from their own constituents.

Nice to see one of Thatcher's henchmen in North Britain allegedly getting caught out. Indeed it was he that oversaw the implementation of the poll tax. Some kind of poetic justice in the Month that finally saw the death of the "Community Charge" he gets caught out like this. Karma

Any likelihood of criminal investigations stemming from these allegations, or will it just be a slap on the wrist and a resignation should the allegations be proved

Any likelihood of criminal investigations stemming from these allegations, or will it just be a slap on the wrist and a resignation should the allegations be proved

I'm going to go out on a limb and say, if proven an offence has occurred, they will be prosecuted and given lengthy sentences. Politicians will be so aghast at the behaviour that Westminster will be cleaned up and corruption booted out. Then after that they'll deal with the banks.

I'm not called optimistic for nothing

Rifkind says £67k isn't enough for a politician to live on.

I'd be happy to test this theory for a 5 year term.

The ridiculousness of his statement gets even worse when you consider that in the next parliament this salary will rise to £74k. I do wonder if that is enough for a knight of the realm to live on.

Archived