The 2016 US Presidential Election

Adamski

Rubio has just dropped out. It's now a choice between being stabbed in the heart or shot in the head for the Republicans

And with Clinton a certainty to secure the Democratic nomination it's the same choice for the whole U.S. electorate.

Of course the global influence of the U.S. we will be influenced by this fate without the 'choice' that goes with it.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm tempted to put a small bet on Paul Ryan, 50/1 to win the nomination, 100/1 to win the election. If Cruz and Trump are still gridlocked after a few ballots I think he would be more likely to get broad party support than Kasich.

Thing is though that the delegates for Cruz and Trump are not from the mainstream of the Republican party, so chances are that many of them would prefer the rival possibility to someone like Paul Ryan. Was reading today that Kasich probably won't even be able to get nominated initially at the convention as candidates need a majority of delegates from at least 8 states or territories to even be eligible for that initially and he is highly unlikely to get close to that. The rule was put in to stop Rand Paul being a factor the last time around.

Thing is though that the delegates for Cruz and Trump are not from the mainstream of the Republican party, so chances are that many of them would prefer the rival possibility to someone like Paul Ryan. Was reading today that Kasich probably won't even be able to get nominated initially at the convention as candidates need a majority of delegates from at least 8 states or territories to even be eligible for that initially and he is highly unlikely to get close to that. The rule was put in to stop Rand Paul being a factor the last time around.

I'm not sure of the background of the delegates but I'm pretty sure they'll be fairly longstanding party members rather than recent Trump converts. Ryan was appointed as Romney's VP candidate to appease the Tea Party, so he's no moderate in the conventional sense of the word, just not stark staring Cruzish. That rule about winning 8 states can be overruled by a ballot of delegates at the Convention. I agree it's unlikely but the odds are tempting as an outsider. Betfair is quoted as offering 500/1 on Ryan getting the Whitehouse.

I think economic libertarianism drove Ryan into politics originally, but he's always been careful to stay in good standing with the corporatist Republican Party bigwigs. His passions in politics have always revolved around tax reform, entitlement/welfare reform, spending cuts, etc. The problem with Ryan as a choice is that he's one of the most pro-open borders Republicans. I have a hard time seeing the Republican Party nominating someone with that position after Cruz and Trump just dominated the primary voting, while the most open borders guys running (Bush and Rubio) were destroyed. As I said before, if there's a coup at the convention the chosen candidate will most likely be the popular conservative governor of a smaller state. This way every faction of the party will take a second to look at him and the bigwigs can get ahead of the messaging. Think someone like former Indiana governor Mitch Daniels.

If you like religious mumbo jumb with your elections, popular conservative talk show host Glen Beck invoked the Mormon White Horse prophecy at a Cruz rally in Utah.

Beck said that he, like many Mormons, believes in a prophecy that the Constitution will hang by a thread in the last days. He said he believes that now is that time, and people like Lee and Cruz will save it.

He also said the Book of Mormon was created as a guide on how to protect freedom in our day. At the Provo rally, many responded yelling, "I believe."

Fundamentalist Mormons believe that the Founding Fathers of America and the US Constitution / Declaration of Independence were divinely inspired by God.

It's a fairly common conservative critique of Obama (and by the mainstream right, not just the hard right) that he's the only President other then Woodrow Wilson to fundamentally oppose the ideas of government presented in the US Constitution, and it appears from looking at their race between Sanders and Clinton that the Democrat Party as a whole now mostly follows Obama's view. The founder of the Mormon church allegedly made a prophecy that there would come a time when the US Constitution was hanging by a thread in danger of destruction, and that Mormons would come to the rescue of our country.

You think we want some broke ass, do gooder running the country?

Heaven forbid a US president actually does some good.

You know you're talking to a moron when the use phrases like "do gooder" as an insult.

You know you're talking to a moron when the use phrases like "do gooder" as an insult.

You shouldn't make typos when you insult someone BTW.

I was responding to the notion that working people were stupid for voting for a rich dude.

That's a ridiculous notion. Mother Theresa would be a horrible President. We currently have a President who was a social worker / one term senator outside of leadership and created an executive branch full of social workers and college professors. He can't work with Congress at all so he hasn't really accomplished anything for the people who elected him, or Americans in general on issues of general need, since the Republicans won control of Congress. Trump has pointed this out. Trump says he works and negotiates with people who hate his guts in business every day, but he always gets a deal done. Obama has absolutely no skill in working with people who come from an opposing position, both domestically and in foreign politics. Obama is getting the US horrible deals in trade and foreign policy because he's too focused on "fairness" rather than the interests of our own people. Working people should want an individual with a history of personal success who has the skills to fight for our interests.

Obama is getting the US horrible deals in trade and foreign policy because he's too focused on "fairness" rather than the interests of our own people. Working people should want an individual with a history of personal success who has the skills to fight for our interests.

Oooft - the board is replete with articulate Bears.  What an amazing bunch we are.

What's your own story, Mike?  Are you an exile Scots or another NA cousin who kens the score?

Why would an individual with a history of personal self-serving success ever fight for anyone's interests other than his own? What has Trump ever done that wasn't soley for his own personal gain?

He could well be brilliant at getting deals, despite the litter of failed business ventures trailing in his wake, but who would they be for? For you Mike? For the goddamned US of A? I think not.

Mike is a good guy. I don't know why he can be bothered with the trolls on here hurling personal insults at him.

Anyway good win for Sanders but it looks too little too late.

Oooft - the board is replete with articulate Bears.  What an amazing bunch we are.

What's your own story, Mike?  Are you an exile Scots or another NA cousin who kens the score?

One of the funniest things I have ever read on P&B.  Well done.

Oh wait, you're not joking are you?

I don't trust Hillary Clinton because of the allegations that have come out against her. I voted against her on March the 1st. I honestly believe that she isn't trustworthy. I don't trust her to be in The White House. I wouldn't even trust her to be the mayor of my town.

Archived