Neighbours characters

supermik

Well, it has been going for 30 years.

1. Clive Gibbons. All round good guy that was binned far too soon.

2. Des Clarke. The first episodes were all about him.

3. Daphne. She was the stripper that made the day of Des.

4. Maxine Ramsay. She was the first female on here that put a smile on my face.

5. Max Ramsay. The ultimate grumpy Aussie.

I haven't watched it since it went to channel 5 - so these are going to be a bit vintage...

1. Paul Robinson - inexplicably a bawbag. A man who could have turned his Machiavellian attitude to any of the world markets but decided to calibrate his explications to dominating Erinsborough.

2= Karl and Susan Kennedy - Like Xavi and Iniesta it's difficult to imagine one without the other. The circumstances of their original meeting were always generally kept rather vague - but I like to think it was something blistering on the way back from a Right Prescription gig.

4. Harold Bishop - The antipodean Lazarus, no further explanation necessary. I hope that the way in which Boyd Hoyland became obscenely ripped over the course of about six weeks had something to do with Bish smuggling a secret ingredient into his patented shakes...

5. Big Uncle Angus - a very short term character who I think came over from Scotland for a Kennedy wedding or something. A beautiful insight into how we're perceived in the colonies. As I recall he was told off for attempting to murder Cassie the sheep - because as we all know "ye cannae hae a wedding withoot a haggis......"

1. Lou Carpenter. I loved how he called Harold Bishop 'jelly belly. He was also shagging Analyse.

2, Charlene Mitchell - she had a really nice arse. Heard she became a singer in real life.

3. Jim Robinson - he ran the the show just like he did in Lost.

4. Karl Kennedy - living legend of the show.

5. Never watched the show when she was in it, but Katya Kinski purely because Dichen Lachman played her.

4871_18.jpg

Charlene's no coming back.

However while a string of Neighbours graduates have been rewritten into the soap for the occasion Minogue declined the offer to meet her on-screen son.

“I thought about it, but I don’t know that it would do Charlene any favours,” Minogue said.

“She’s so from another time and so much time has passed that it wouldn’t feel very genuine to me. It was something to think about, but in actuality I don’t know if it would have worked.”

Minogue was in Neighbours for two years, first seen on Australian screens in April 1986 and leaving in July 1988.

Unlike most of you pervs, I've actually gone for decent characters rather than the one with the most fanciable (which would be the third incarnation of Lucy). If you can't tell, I've also not watched it in 15 years.

1. Des Clarke - A big jug-eared lovable kinda loser. Actually left acting to work in a pub but apparently he's making a return for the 30th anniversary.

2. Harold Bishop - Should really stick him and Lou in as a double-act. Harold is a legend - both in Neighbours and in Prisoner, where he both wrote the show and appeared as at least 3 different characters over the course of the series.

3. Paul Robinson - Great character and more wives than Henry VIII. Once met him after a show he was doing in Belfast and the lying b*****d said he had never seen snow in his life, though I forgive him for that.

4. Mrs Mangel - Played an interfering busybody in not one but two soaps. Used to get harangued in the street for it.

5. Colin - who sang in Philip Martin's barber shop quartet and worked in his newsagents in the Lassiter's complex. Can't remember much about him except he was hilarious and possibly the inspiration for Tobias Funke in Arrested Development.

colintaylor01-150x150.jpg

Favourite Neighbours storyline was when Josh, Cody and I can't remember the other two used their trusty Amiga to do their schoolwork by writing an essay, then using a thesaurus to change all the nouns so they each had a different essay. Unsurprisingly they got caught, the flaming galahs.

Anne Robinson(?) - Had massive chebs in the opening credits

Annaliese - Wid - even although when she joined she was still at school letting Lou Carpenter javelin her (approx 40 years her senior)

Libby Kennedy - Wid

Dani Stark - Wid

The Alessi Twins - Huv, Wid

Archived