London

P45

Folk who book up youth hostels for long periods of time, depriving genuine visitors a bunk are the scum of the earth. Them and middle aged men who can easily afford a hotel.

Stayed in one in Denver once and the dorm was a room of depression where folk even had their own posters beside their bunks. Forced me to get out and about though.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

Does anyone here have any experience renting in the Twickenham/NE Surrey area? I've been offered a job there and the rents are pretty high so I'll probably end up sharing but also open to renting a one bedroom flat if I can afford it. It's unlikely, but if anyone has had any experience with local letting agents or any other advice about the area that would be useful. I'm going down at the weekend for a few days to try and sort something out so hopefully should get somewhere.

My brother lived down there for nearly 9 years. He quite liked it but said he'd want out eventually, the rent was the killer - they paid £1250 for a flat miles outside the main centre and the place wasn't exactly nice either. His general take was that most of the landlords weren't bothered about the properties as there was always someone willing to take them on so a lot of the flats aren't in great condition and you are paying a lot of cash to live there.

He moved to Bristol last year and said it was the best thing he'd done.

Does anyone here have any experience renting in the Twickenham/NE Surrey area? I've been offered a job there and the rents are pretty high so I'll probably end up sharing but also open to renting a one bedroom flat if I can afford it. It's unlikely, but if anyone has had any experience with local letting agents or any other advice about the area that would be useful. I'm going down at the weekend for a few days to try and sort something out so hopefully should get somewhere.

Can't comment about renting but I lived in Twickenham for a few years so I know the area. If I was young and single I'd be tempted by Richmond, though. There are more/better pubs and the transport links are better. A train in to Waterloo in under 20 minutes plus you're on the District line.

Moved down here 30 years ago. Moved out of London as soon as I could afford to, bought in Essex. Mortgage paid off, all is sweet. Couldn't move back to Scotland - how do you live in that weather?

I've lived in and around London since I came to Yooni in 1981. When our youngest was born we moved to Edinburgh and then Aberdeenshire from 1999 to 2008 until we had to move 'back down' for work.

Honestly? I'd rather live either right in the middle of London (if I could afford it) or somewhere 'nice' in Scotland. The London commuter belt really isn't that pleasant.

I lived in London for a spell in the early 1980's, befriended a fellow Scotsman called Dennis, he had terrible trouble with his drains though.

Popped round one day and he wasn't in, never saw him again after that, must have moved away because of those drains

Was that before or after you helped Fred West with building his conservatory?

If you're working near a railway station I'd consider living in a cheaper area. It's only 15 minutes from Twickenham to Clapham Junction, which probably isn't any cheaper, but you get what I mean. Maybe Tooting, or somewhere out in the sticks.

Got somewhere at a reasonable price in Teddington in the end which seems like a very middle-class area but it's ideal for work which I need my car for. Only a ten month contract as well so I can move to another area if it doesn't work out for whatever reason. Can't wait to move down now.

Got somewhere at a reasonable price in Teddington in the end which seems like a very middle-class area but it's ideal for work which I need my car for. Only a ten month contract as well so I can move to another area if it doesn't work out for whatever reason. Can't wait to move down now.

I worked in Teddington years ago at the old Thames TV studios by the lock. Seemed quite posh and expensive, couple of good pubs though.

Moved down here 30 years ago. Moved out of London as soon as I could afford to, bought in Essex. Mortgage paid off, all is sweet. Couldn't move back to Scotland - how do you live in that weather?

Is Harlow as big a shite hole and as depressing as I've been told it is?

Was down London 10 days ago, hated it.

Smelly and overcrowded everywhere.

Also has a huge litter problem.people are incredibly rude to the point where if I lived there I'd spend too much time chasing folk and fighting with them.

Lived there for a year back in the 80's, couldn't wait to get back up the road home every weekend. Down there a couple of times a month with work these days and it's ok, but wouldn't want to live there again. Generalising perhaps, but it's not a friendly place. Give me Glasgow or Edinburgh any day.

Archived