The Great Big Kilmarnock Thread

Irvine was atrocious when he started with us, although it was clearly a symptom of the fact he had never really played senior football before. As the season went on he improved, and by the time Boyd dug us out the mire in our last two games of the season, big Jackson was one of our absolute key players.

Delighted for what he's gone on to achieve at County, and he seems like a player that will go on even further - but let's not kid ourselves on, there were upwards of a dozen games where he was the worst player in a horrendous Kilmarnock team.

Irvine was atrocious when he started with us, although it was clearly a symptom of the fact he had never really played senior football before. As the season went on he improved, and by the time Boyd dug us out the mire in our last two games of the season, big Jackson was one of our absolute key players.

Delighted for what he's gone on to achieve at County, and he seems like a player that will go on even further - but let's not kid ourselves on, there were upwards of a dozen games where he was the worst player in a horrendous Kilmarnock team.

Spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Pie & Bovril

I honestly think Irvine's performances were more to do with the fact that he was played out of position and switched around constantly. He came to us as a young, inexperienced midfielder but we put at right back in a shyte defence to give him a confidence boost? I'm not sure many players would have looked world beaters in that position.

Each to their own though, it's a game of opinions.

He was not "atrocious" when he first came to us. He was the easy target because of his playing style and being part of a team that wasn't playing well. I thought personally he was excellent in that game away to St Mirren (the Boyd red match) but struggled after being constantly shunted around. Once he got a proper run of games in his position, he excelled. Maybe I'm slightly biased as I felt at the time I was the only one defending him, but I really don't remember him every being that bad when played in midfield. Any worse than Scott Robinson or Paul Cairney?

I see in one of the papers today your manager Lee Clark has told Jamie Hamill, Scott Robinson and Ross Barbour they are all free to leave Kilmarnock!

Jamie Hamill I'd be inclined to keep around, as he does have the odd really good game. He must be one of our top earners though, and is pretty injury prone these days so it does make sense. The other two will be no loss whatsoever.

No great loss. Barbour another victim of post Shiels mismanagement. He hasn't been good enough in the last 2-3 seasons. Shame.

Rubbish. Barbour's decline is nothing to do with post-Shiels mismanagement. He admitted himself that he has came back for the last three pre-seasons overweight, and he struggles to drop the pounds. That's not exactly the sign of solid pro, is it? Plenty of rumours that he's a terrible trainer as well, and that's part of the reason why successive managers haven't favoured him.

I agree that it's a shame though, as when he burst into the team he looked like the right-back we'd been looking for since Canero.

Jamie Hamill I'd be inclined to keep around, as he does have the odd really good game. He must be one of our top earners though, and is pretty injury prone these days so it does make sense. The other two will be no loss whatsoever.

Rubbish. Barbour's decline is nothing to do with post-Shiels mismanagement. He admitted himself that he has came back for the last three pre-seasons overweight, and he struggles to drop the pounds. That's not exactly the sign of solid pro, is it? Plenty of rumours that he's a terrible trainer as well, and that's part of the reason why successive managers haven't favoured him.

I agree that it's a shame though, as when he burst into the team he looked like the right-back we'd been looking for since Canero.

Hamill's token couple of good games a season definitely aren't worth keeping him around for.

Barbour is horrendous. I'll be pretty surprised if he pitches up at another full time club (or at least if he stays at another one for long before being found out). I strongly suspect the part time seaside leagues await.

Robinson is an empty jersey.

Good to see Clark sweeping some deadwood to free up some funds. I can see numerous other players leaving shortly. Regardless of whether we stay up or go down, we have a lot of players out of contract or ending loans and a lot of players who aren't good enough. Will be a summer of rebuilding either way.

Hamill's token couple of good games a season definitely aren't worth keeping him around for.

Barbour is horrendous. I'll be pretty surprised if he pitches up at another full time club (or at least if he stays at another one for long before being found out). I strongly suspect the part time seaside leagues await.

Robinson is an empty jersey.

The first part is arguable. He does do a lot of work with the youth teams and helps with coaching too, which could help swing things. However, I'm not really that bothered in all honesty about him leaving.

Agreed on the rest.

Good to see Clark sweeping some deadwood to free up some funds. I can see numerous other players leaving shortly. Regardless of whether we stay up or go down, we have a lot of players out of contract or ending loans and a lot of players who aren't good enough. Will be a summer of rebuilding either way.

If we were to look at the squad, who would you get rid of in the summer (if it was possible)?

For me - Ashcroft, Westlake, Findlay (end of loan), Obadeyi and Carrick. That would still leave us with a squad of seventeen though...

The first part is arguable. He does do a lot of work with the youth teams and helps with coaching too, which could help swing things. However, I'm not really that bothered in all honesty about him leaving.

Agreed on the rest.

If we were to look at the squad, who would you get rid of in the summer (if it was possible)?

For me - Ashcroft, Westlake, Findlay (end of loan), Obadeyi and Carrick. That would still leave us with a squad of seventeen though...

I'd genuinely have no problem getting rid of Hamill, Carrick, Robinson, Westlake, Barbour, Boyd, Ashcroft and Syme were it possible. Added to the loan players (Hodson and Findlay) leaving that would leave us struggling to field a team at all, but I've been sufficiently unimpressed by that lot. I'm not convinced by Obadeyi or Higginbotham either, but saved them from the chop as I was feeling generous. However, were it possible in some mystical fantasy land to bin all that lot and start from scratch in summer then I'd be fairly pleased.

I see in one of the papers today your manager Lee Clark has told Jamie Hamill, Scott Robinson and Ross Barbour they are all free to leave Kilmarnock!

Good news. He can continue clearing some deadwood as far as I'm concerned and get some fresh faces in with a bit of dig.

Barbour is the epitome of wasted potential.

I remember vividly his debut and his breakthrough season and thinking he looked a great player whether at right back, breaking up the play in midfield or even left back. He was quick as a whippet and never gave the opposition midfield a minute. See him shambling about at age 29 makes me feel old. And sad. And hungry. And slightly itchy.