The Great Big Kilmarnock Thread

51 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I think i've been the subject of more comments on this thread than your team has.

Kilmarnock fans are a very strange bunch.

And yet i don't comment on the St Mirren thread, yet you're a regular here. Speaks volumes about you. Bizarre little chap. 

52 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I think i've been the subject of more comments on this thread than your team has.

Kilmarnock fans are a very strange bunch.

This  from the weird delusional St Mirren guy. 

Interesting to note that despite St Mirren apparently being the second coming of Pep’s Barcelona this season, they only manage to finish a whopping *checks notes* 6 points ahead of one of the most dismal Killie sides in recent years. 

I looks forward to normal service resuming next season. 

10 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

Interesting to note that despite St Mirren apparently being the second coming of Pep’s Barcelona this season, they only manage to finish a whopping *checks notes* 6 points ahead of one of the most dismal Killie sides in recent years. 

The six point margin is skewed by the fact Killie only played fellow bottom dwellers in the final five matches, while St Mirren played the top teams including the Old Firm.

Glad that's over and done with. It's been a bit of a slog despite the good moments and landmark wins, but the target was to simply stay in the division and if you offered me 40 points and 10th place back in July I'd have accepted it. It's odd, because looking back at the final table in years to come people will think that it was comfortable enough having a six point gap, but at no point this season has it felt comfortable. 

Big clearout required now alongside a new assistant manager - I'm glad it's done and looking forward to a decent summer with plenty of distractions so as I'm raring to go come the middle of July. Over and done with, and we go on.

14 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

Calm yourself down FFS. :lol: 

We were 13 ahead of you at split and 16 before game 33 where you deservedly won. A far fairer judgement after 3 complete rounds of fixtures.

14 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

Glad that's over and done with. It's been a bit of a slog despite the good moments and landmark wins, but the target was to simply stay in the division and if you offered me 40 points and 10th place back in July I'd have accepted it. It's odd, because looking back at the final table in years to come people will think that it was comfortable enough having a six point gap, but at no point this season has it felt comfortable. 

Big clearout required now alongside a new assistant manager - I'm glad it's done and looking forward to a decent summer with plenty of distractions so as I'm raring to go come the middle of July. Over and done with, and we go on.

Expecting any of the below to be offered new deals? Killie have lots of players that would do a great job in the level below but the step up to SPL is clearly vast. McInnes been around long enough to know what level of player he needs to recruit.

Kilmarnock (15) - Blair Alston, Innes Cameron, Liam Donnelly, Lee Hodson, Brad Lyons, Dylan McGowan, Fraser Murray, Liam Polworth, Alan Power, Scott Robinson, Jack Sanders, Chris Stokes, Ash Taylor, Sam Walker, Calum Waters

McGowan, Waters and Hodson will definitely be away. I'd be very surprised if Alston, Cameron, Murray, Robinson, Stokes or Sanders were offered anything, because this season has been a step too far for all of them. Donnelly, Lyons, Power and Polworth all play in the middle of the park and probably none are good enough to be regular starters, but we might look to keep one or two. Taylor is a hard one to gauge, a good character around the place and still has a lot to offer, but he is starting to get found out for pace. Walker has been surprisingly good, I'd imagine we'll offer him something.

Not sure most of them would be viable targets for Cove though, most are good enough for the Championship.

55 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Expecting any of the below to be offered new deals? Killie have lots of players that would do a great job in the level below but the step up to SPL is clearly vast. McInnes been around long enough to know what level of player he needs to recruit.

Kilmarnock (15) - Blair Alston, Innes Cameron, Liam Donnelly, Lee Hodson, Brad Lyons, Dylan McGowan, Fraser Murray, Liam Polworth, Alan Power, Scott Robinson, Jack Sanders, Chris Stokes, Ash Taylor, Sam Walker, Calum Waters

In bold are the ones I think McInnes will maybe keep - whether that actually happens or not is anyone's guess. If he'd played more, I'd have highlighted Sanders too, but the manager obviously doesn't fancy him since he's been on loan to you guys and then barely kicked a ball. It's a great shame as I thought he was brilliant for us in the Championship and would get the chance to kick on. In reality, I don't think many players will be sticking around but like Craig says most of them are about the level of the Championship so unless you can offer them an enticing enough wage I can't see them coming to Cove.

23 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Alston - Hero for last season but won't be kept on.

Cameron - I honestly think he isn't good enough for the top league but can see him being kept on as backup.

Donnelly - Jekyll and Hyde character. Absolute bombscare when he first came in but absolutely got better towards the end. Can't keep fit though. Think he will sign another deal.

Hodson - Rank rotten. Won't be here.

Lyons - Never really got the play time this season but was cracking last couple of games. Depending on the contract I think he could be a solid squad player. 50/50 whether he stays imho.

McGowan - Relegated with Hamilton and that's probably his level. Will be released.

Murray - was a big fan of him last season but he's went backwards this year. Think he could do a job for a championship side. Don't think he will be offered a new deal.

Polworth - Was garbage in the championship last year with us and Dunfermline. Been good this season. Seems the top league just suits his style of play. Another 50/50 on whether he will stay but think he will be here.

Power - Honestly done at this level. Not sure if he will drop down to the championship or maybe another bottom 6 team will take a punt on him. Can't see him staying.

Robinson - Don't get the hype. Never fit and when he is, he's not very good. Can't see him getting offered another deal.

Sanders - I like the big man. Can play a couple of positions at the back and still young. I'd like him to stay but not sure McInnes is his biggest fan so can see him moving on.

Stokes - Pretty slow and has a mistake in him. We are going to need a younger/more mobile centre half next to Wright. Think he will head back down south.

Taylor - Like Stokes, pretty slow but can take a goal and is a better player. Can see him sticking around due to his relationship with the manager.

Walker - Would do my best to keep him. He's made a couple of mistakes but what keeper at this level doesn't? Big solid keeper. Can see staying and being our #1 next season.

Waters - Another full back that is well below par. Don't know what he's been like at Morton but he won't be at RP next season.

22 hours ago, craigkillie said:

McGowan, Waters and Hodson will definitely be away. I'd be very surprised if Alston, Cameron, Murray, Robinson, Stokes or Sanders were offered anything, because this season has been a step too far for all of them. Donnelly, Lyons, Power and Polworth all play in the middle of the park and probably none are good enough to be regular starters, but we might look to keep one or two. Taylor is a hard one to gauge, a good character around the place and still has a lot to offer, but he is starting to get found out for pace. Walker has been surprisingly good, I'd imagine we'll offer him something.

Not sure most of them would be viable targets for Cove though, most are good enough for the Championship.

Along the lines I was thinking of the majority of the fringe players. Likely they will have Championship offers if released. We will offer competitive salaries I feel, especially for the right targets, but dropping down to L1 makes it much harder sell unfortunately.

On 29/05/2023 at 20:23, Squonk said:

The six point margin is skewed by the fact Killie only played fellow bottom dwellers in the final five matches, while St Mirren played the top teams including the Old Firm.

St Mirren were the only team not to beat Killie this season. 

On 29/05/2023 at 21:58, Andy_K_97 said:

In bold are the ones I think McInnes will maybe keep - whether that actually happens or not is anyone's guess. If he'd played more, I'd have highlighted Sanders too, but the manager obviously doesn't fancy him since he's been on loan to you guys and then barely kicked a ball. It's a great shame as I thought he was brilliant for us in the Championship and would get the chance to kick on. In reality, I don't think many players will be sticking around but like Craig says most of them are about the level of the Championship so unless you can offer them an enticing enough wage I can't see them coming to Cove.

I'd keep Lyons ahead of Donnelly. 

11 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'd keep Lyons ahead of Donnelly. 

Decision would be the opposite way if it were me making it, I do feel there has been a bit of romanticism going on with Lyons over the last week and he’s one of those who has got better in peoples eyes the less he played.

To be honest if we are pushing for the top 6 neither of the two players is really the answer. I’d like to see McInnes build a midfield strong enough to make McKenzie and Polworth the back up options.

16 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

I’d like to see McInnes build a midfield strong enough to make McKenzie and Polworth the back up options.

Could be rubbish but I've heard Polworth is leaving, wants a move back closer to home. 

1 hour ago, C4mmy31 said:

Could be rubbish but I've heard Polworth is leaving, wants a move back closer to home. 

He was supposedly close to going back up the road after he left us. County binning Hughes in favour of Mackay put the kibosh on that.

It was mentioned in this interview and given the way he's framed it wouldn't be a surprise if that's his preference if he has the opportunity.

“Yogi was my manager at Inverness and he’s watched my career since then.

“Obviously a lot has changed for me, playing-wise and he was interested, trying to get me to come back up the road.

“I’m from up the road and it would have been be ideal for my family, close to our friends and for our kids it would have been ideal.

“When Yogi left Ross County, I haven’t heard anything since in terms of a move back north. It was mainly John speaking to me directly.”

Link

Edited by capt_oats