The Great Big Kilmarnock Thread

26 minutes ago, deadasdillinger said:

Gutted as was looking forward to an away day. Any chat as to why?

I’ve heard it was Kilmarnock that cancelled the game because they were playing last night and too many injuries. 
But surely when this fixture was arranged they knew that they were playing in European fixture on Thursday. 

2 hours ago, marco44 said:

I’ve heard it was Kilmarnock that cancelled the game because they were playing last night and too many injuries. 
But surely when this fixture was arranged they knew that they were playing in European fixture on Thursday. 

I would be surprised if true. Looking at how close the two games were, I was only ever coming down with the expectation that it would mostly be a youth team, with a few first teamers who didn't get on (GMS etc)

On 25/07/2024 at 15:18, Ludo*1 said:

How was Ben Chrisene for you lads?

Absolute dross. A unit of a guy who had no idea where he should be on the park or how to tackle. Got thrown in against Rangers at Ibrox and was honking.

On 26/07/2024 at 14:11, marco44 said:

The game was arranged before we knew the U18's were playing Celtic in the league opener on Friday. It would have been them plus 1 or 2 1st team squad players.

On 26/07/2024 at 20:50, Boring Bob said:

Absolute dross. A unit of a guy who had no idea where he should be on the park or how to tackle. Got thrown in against Rangers at Ibrox and was honking.

I think you are confusing him with Jeriel Dorsett, given that Chrisene didn't ever play for us at Ibrox.

Edited by craigkillie

• 2 weeks later...

Just listened to last week's The Terrace podcast. The Killie fan on there said if they didn't win either of their next two matches, Tromsø and St Johnstone, he would start to worry. Any other Killie fans concerned this early?

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Just listened to last week's The Terrace podcast. The Killie fan on there said if they didn't win either of their next two matches, Tromsø and St Johnstone, he would start to worry. Any other Killie fans concerned this early?

I am, with the proviso that I'm an irregular attender of matches, so wouldn't claim as much insight as those who go to most games. Since taking over McInnes has had us playing effective (if rarely enjoyable) football in around 8 of his 32 months in charge. He still hasn't grasped the importance of making tactical substitutions at the right time, and his aversion to signing (let alone playing) actual fullbacks is sheer pigheadness IMO. He doesn't have a great track record of building a squad and evolving it over a few years either.

If I had been an Aberdeen fan with hair c.2015/16, I'd have been tearing it out. He had no idea how to close the gap with Celtic. I don't think he's progressed since then.

I really dislike the way some Killie fans IRL and on Kickback express their opinions about certain players; but really I have to say that Joe Wright is catastrophically shite with no redeeming qualities, and I struggle to trust the judgement of those who disagree. Which is probably unfair, pigheaded even, but that's how I feel.

So yes, I'm worried. I still think we could win in Tromso though!

ETA

His penchant for consistently signing players then not playing them drives me bats too. If GMS, for example, is no good why sign him in the first place?

Edited by Bad Wolf

6 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Not especially. 

McInnes has been overthinking our European opponents. Basing our style of play on whatever he thinks best nullifies them, rather than playing our own brand of football at home and letting them worry about us. If we'd done that I think we would have beaten both Brugge and Tromso in the home games. So that's annoying, but both results were probably about par. 

Brugge away was a poor night where we really didn't offer much. Celtic at Parkhead is the type of result that can happen to anyone. As the guys on one of the Killie podcasts said, we went there top of the league under Clarke and got pumped 5-1. 

Playing Thurs and Sundays no doubt partly to blame. Folk point at St M as evidence it shouldn't happen, but to me it's an obvious cause. Del made the point players were in their beds after Brugge at 3am on the Fri - no doubt that has an impact on Sun afternoon. Said they've been doing less tactical work recently as a result, more focus on recovery, and I think that shows. 

The only result that hasn't been par, given the opposition, was St Johnstone at home, which most would have us down as big favourites to win. Joe Wright cost us badly with his stupidity. 

Trust it'll come good. Same manager with same group of players. 

What's mad is seeing fans wanting us out of Europe to focus on the league. Can't understand the point of qualifying to then not embrace being in it!

I back us to win on Thursday, setting us up for massive games against Copenhagen. Hopefully the moaning will subside. 

We shouldve prioritised Europe and took the hit in the league. It's not like the league results would've been any worse with a weakened team.

Throwing away a chance of some big nights and important revenue by tinkering with a settled team.

Brugge we're as good an opponent as we could've hoped for.......rusty and play a Scottish style of football and we still altered our play against them.

Think most of us would've taken group stages and 10th in the league for 1 season looking at the bigger picture. As it is they've been terrible in every game bar 45mins, could be out of europe ×2, the league cup and bottom of the league come Sunday night. Oh and are ripping off the fans for the privilege of watching it.

Having said all that, football being the way it is it could all flip very quickly just the same.