The Great Big Kilmarnock Thread

Posted this on 22nd of May but seems to have disappeared:

"Good Luck in Europe chaps, hope you make it to the EL-PO, so at least get GS Football in the Conf If we're there too, I don't mind you chaps getting half the TV dough, it's only about €490K anyway 3rd round Europa League Qualifying is usually a brutal draw, hope you get someone you can turn over"

Now, if copenhagen go out in ET here to Baník Ostrava, I fancy you can turn them over

Now on penalties, both missed 1st pen

Edit: jfc, Baník Ostrava missed 4 penalties, that's them out

Good Luck against copenhagen Lads, if they had went out, denmark would have likely been overtaken by Scotland as well, with 2 teams out of 4 left

They've not been doing well and just made it by the skin of their teeth there; get them pumped!

-

Edited by Craigie Jambo

Social media has been mostly great as we’ve said but a bit of an embarrassing tweet again tonight. Both the content and the actual execution of the patter not really a great reflection on the club to be honest.

On 13/08/2024 at 15:31, Bad Wolf said:

If I had been an Aberdeen fan with hair c.2015/16, I'd have been tearing it out. He had no idea how to close the gap with Celtic. I don't think he's progressed since then.

He got closer to Celtic in 2015/16 than any other team has in recent years, despite an enormous gulf in finances. Celtic then went out and appointed a £5m a year manager and spent about £10m on their squad, then didn't lose a single domestic game in 2016/17. What were you expecting him to do to close that gap?

21 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

He got closer to Celtic in 2015/16 than any other team has in recent years, despite an enormous gulf in finances. Celtic then went out and appointed a £5m a year manager and spent about £10m on their squad, then didn't lose a single domestic game in 2016/17. What were you expecting him to do to close that gap?

Going from memory but I'm sure that's the season Liverpool recalled the best keeper in the league in January which we couldn't replace. Leigh Griffiths had a wild season.

Us running them fairly close and Rangers knocking them out of the cup spooked them. Nothing Derek could have done.

Watched your game last night, the team showed great character to see that out. 

First half I thought you were pretty comfortable, and never had too many problems. 

Second half was backs to the wall at times, but dug deep to see out the result. 

Winning away in Europe is not to be sniffed at, great result. 

An important win, which will earn you some cash from a minimum of an extra two games. 

Fair play to Derek McInness, another top 6 finish looks on the cards.

9 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Started off the season well beating Celtic at home and then that amazing game at Tynecastle where we were on fire. Belief was high. Went on a bit of a slump after that. Starting Josh Parker and benching Rooney up at Inverness and St Johnstone sticking 5 past us at Pittodrie.

killer blow was ward being called back by Liverpool and Rooney getting a injury. 

I don’t really know how I feel today. I’ve got so many conflicting thoughts so I’m just going to fire them all out here:

I don’t have an issue with Del prioritizing the Conference League playoff. I know our chances are slim but for me these upcoming games are probably in the top 10 of the most important games in our history (certainly in my time) and definitely the most important financially. So in some ways I’m almost happy to write off today and next Sunday.

I also didn’t think the team was hugely weak pre-game. McInnes has done a decent job of making around 14/15 players all feel like an important part of our first 11 (if that makes sense) so I don’t feel as if we were just happy to throw this game away.

However we can really only realistically win 1 of 2 trophies every year so it is a bit disappointing to be out.

I haven’t seen it yet but sounds like Findlay had a similar brain fart as Wright last week and, in the current situation we are in with lots of important games we really need the players to stop making stupid decisions. Findlay has been one of the best defenders we’ve had in my time watching Kilmarnock and he is now an experienced player, I can’t really remember him doing anything like this before so hopefully just a one off.

Whilst I’ve said I am happy to write off these couple of domestic games I was thinking today that if we qualify (and I doubt it of course, we are massive underdogs) then we’ve probably seen enough over the first few weeks to know that our squad (and really just those 14/15 players I mentioned above) maybe wouldn’t have enough strength in depth to allow us to cope with that. That raised an interesting question in my head - would I be happy to be involved in a relegation battle and qualify for the league stage? My answer is probably yes I would be happy to take that risk.

Teams in other countries recognise the importance of euro qualification and allow teams to have free weeks before these games.  Alan Burrow has been supportive when we needed a free week for a big euro game. 

Euro fitba would be great for Killie and the toon. 

12 hours ago, bennett said:

Teams in other countries recognise the importance of euro qualification and allow teams to have free weeks before these games.  Alan Burrow has been supportive when we needed a free week for a big euro game. 

Euro fitba would be great for Killie and the toon. 

No stats to back up less games this early in season = more success in European competitions.  

I guess it's not a big week for the likes of Dynamo Kyiv.  Or their oppenent.  Nor LOSC, or Slavia Praha. 

On 18/08/2024 at 18:25, bennett said:

Teams in other countries recognise the importance of euro qualification and allow teams to have free weeks before these games.

That seems made up, probably happened a very small handful of times.

22 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

That seems made up, probably happened a very small handful of times.

SK Brann were given the week off before our game.

Edited by FTOF