John Barnes - "It's cos I is black innit?"

His first job as a manager was one of the worlds 20 richest clubs (at the time). Struggling to get a job is places like Tamworth and Clyde. Still he gave the world

"Super Caley go ballistic, Celtic are atrocious"

Barnes was a terrible manager, of that there is no doubt.

But his point that other terrible managers seem to make a living from the game is a fair one. I doubt it is anything as overtly racist as skin colour but rather who their friends and contacts in the game are based upon where they grew up, and who they were pals with in their playing days.

You would need to be pretty daft to see that we are now in an age where the law of averages would suggest we would see more black former players coming through into management and it doesn't seem to be happening.

I just find it embarrasing for them that they resort to playing 'the race card' as an excuse for their shortfallings as managers.

Chris Hughton's guilty of this tactic.

I just find it embarrasing for them that they resort to playing 'the race card' as an excuse for their shortfallings as managers.

Chris Hughton's guilty of this tactic.

Chris Hughton who's currently on his fourth job in about six years.

Barnes was a terrible manager, of that there is no doubt.

But his point that other terrible managers seem to make a living from the game is a fair one. I doubt it is anything as overtly racist as skin colour but rather who their friends and contacts in the game are based upon where they grew up, and who they were pals with in their playing days.

You would need to be pretty daft to see that we are now in an age where the law of averages would suggest we would see more black former players coming through into management and it doesn't seem to be happening.

This.

Barnes was an utterly useless manager but there definitely seems to be something keeping the number of black managers down.

I'd fully support some kind of "Rooney rule" in football. If nothing else it might curtail the "old pals act" managerial merry-go-round a bit and we could get some new ideas and some new faces into management.

I wonder if anyone put it to Barnes it's because he was a poor manager.

Problem is in England, is the number of foreign managers within the top 2 divisions. I doubt chairman pass him over because he is black, it's probably because of the better options available across Europe

Barnes isn't getting a job because he's an atrocious football manager with an utterly atrocious record. His humiliating exit at Celtic is well documented, but Tranmere was as bad, if not worse.

During his spell, they were almost weekly stick-ons for a coupon defeat, and a few of those were absolute pumpings.

Has he even applied for any jobs, or is he moaning that no one wants to head hunt a piss-poor manager? There is an old pals act in football to an extent, but usually more to do with the chairman being mates with the manager than anything more sinister.

Stan Collymore now talking utter nonsense about this on twitter. Women and black people should be interviewed for every job to give them more opportunities at managerial and boardroom level apparently.

What a load of pish. Best person for the job and that's it. Why do people always feel the need to bring race/gender etc into everything?

In the NFL in America they need to interview a black candidate whenever a managerial position is vacant. All it has led to is some pretty embarrassing situations where the team knows exactly who's getting the gig but have to bring the kit man in for a token interview because he's black