The Real Staggies v The Real Saints

This week, (Tuesday, I believe), Ross County football club will take on St Johnstone football club in a Scottish Professional Footba... Yeah, you get the point. I thought maybe fans of each team could 'get together' and chat about how they are getting to the game, where they might gather for some supper or a drink and some friendly banter before the game, and what they think could happen during the game. (Also times of trains or buses home afterwards would probably be useful). I won't make it to this one, but FWIW I see no reason for Ross County not to do a little better than they usually do against these fine fellows and get the win, but ATEOTD I'd not be overly disappointed with a point.

I'll predict Ross County 2, St Johnstone 1.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely no idea which Saints team will turn up here. We could win convincingly or show utter disinterest and not even have one shot at goal. Some of our away performances have been horrific, but we have also won comfortably at Tannadice and Celtic Park in recent months.

f**k knows tbh.

I am on a couple of days holiday in the Highlands so will be at this one as a neutral.

quite looking forward to it. first time I will have been at Victoria Park in about a decade.

I am completely shocked at County's revival and it is good to see them doing well. Saintees consistently inconsistent this season.

predict a 1-1 draw.

I am on a couple of days holiday in the Highlands so will be at this one as a neutral.

quite looking forward to it. first time I will have been at Victoria Park in about a decade.

I would like to say hello before the match, but regrettably I'll be working until shortly before KO. You'll probably notice a lot of changes to the place since last time.

Lifting some quotes from another thread:

St Johnstone could be Ross County's most difficult fixture of the run-in, I'm not expecting three points.

When County beat Killie 3-0 in November, Michael Gardyne was excellent, but he was then marked out of the game by Dave Mackay when they lost to St Johnstone in the next match. Gardyne is in excellent form, and would start on the right this time, but if St Johnstone score first then they are quite capable of shutting down the flanks, where County are their most prolific.

Then again, County are a much different proposition than five months ago, with goals spread throughout the front six. They used to rely too much on Graham Carey for creativity but goals are coming from all angles now.

If he plays on the right, he's gonna come up against the man mountain that is Brian Easton. Who as I've alluded to previously has only ever been bested by 1 player this season and it was Phil Roberts amusingly. I wouldn't be expecting much change out of him, especially when I think we'll let O'Halloran now float and probably have a dedicated winger to defend as well. Same on the right hand side, I suspect Mackay will be limited going forward, but when he's asked to simply defend he's excellent for the majority. If he's told to support then we may be slightly vulnerable.

I think that's fair enough, Brian Easton is a very good player. He was always the better out of the two full-backs when he and Lewis Toshney were together at Dundee and has come on a lot since then.

It will be important for County to use the switch in play to get any space for Gardyne and De Vita to put some deliveries in. Unfortunately that isn't a strong point of the midfield, but sometimes when Martin Woods gets his eye in he can do that. Thankfully, if all else fails, the full-backs are much improved on earlier in the season too.

The first goal will almost certainly decide what happens: County still haven't won a match where they've gone behind, which I don't think would be a problem vs bottom six sides now, due to the character in the team, but against a team with such a strong back five it could be telling.

Wanted to go to this, sadly Ross is too far away from me so by the time I'm finished work it'll be too late.

Imagine we'll see Wright replace Scobbie, while Lappin for Davidson and set up like how we did second half v Accies would be preferable. Be surprised if MacLean doesn't start though tbh.

First ten minutes will define our day (night), and if County score first then we wont win.

I think that's fair enough, Brian Easton is a very good player. He was always the better out of the two full-backs when he and Lewis Toshney were together at Dundee and has come on a lot since then.

That he is. Best fullback I've seen, I know Shinnie is widely regarded as the best left back in the league and tbf he probably is. But there isn't a left back in the league I'd want before Easton, I rate him that highly. If he could even add 1 or 2 goals to his game, he'd have been away back down to England. Still he's signed a new 2 year deal and thank goodness for that. Can't help but feel he's been showing a greater goal threat recently. Lappin coming back in is huge for this. He shuffles over and covers left back if Easton has gone forward. It's a lot of unseen work and not a lot of saints fans appreciate how good Lappin really can be. Although I'll admit there is more to come from him.

It will be important for County to use the switch in play to get any space for Gardyne and De Vita to put some deliveries in. Unfortunately that isn't a strong point of the midfield, but sometimes when Martin Woods gets his eye in he can do that. Thankfully, if all else fails, the full-backs are much improved on earlier in the season too.

Chris Millar is very good at closing down quickly if you don't move it on quickly enough. Same with Lappin to an extent. It also tends to be the switch of play that saints pick off easily for the majority, often leads to out fullbacks moving forward with pace. (Or what they've got) I also feel our wingers are as much an asset defensively as forward play. Certainly they do a better job protecting that they have creating this season.

The first goal will almost certainly decide what happens: County still haven't won a match where they've gone behind, which I don't think would be a problem vs bottom six sides now, due to the character in the team, but against a team with such a

strong back five it could be telling.

Again probably correct. If County can grab a goal, all they've got to do is defend against us, we're most likely going to be toothless. Then again we occasionally throw in an outstanding display.

It's so frustrating to watch as a fan, knowing that we've got potential and then not proving it regularly. For what it's worth I'd imagine County will be our toughest test away for a while. We should have done better at Hamilton, so here's hoping we actually come out fighting and quickly. County have proven recently that they'll be able to pick up the pace fast and act on it.

Still it'll be an intriguing match for sure.

I'd let County win this one to try and guarantee their safety... Might post that on WAP to see their reaction.

I hope we pump county 5-0 and they go down so we've less chance of shitty midweek trips miles and miles and miles away

Brian Easton looks like a farmhand.

(this is probably as much insight as I'm going to offer in this thread)

I used to shout "Sloth" relentlessly at him when he was at Hamilton and Dundee. The look he gave me when he first trotted out at McDiarmid in a Saints top was memorable.

Heading up for this one. not 100% sure why. I mean, it's a mad rush up the road as we can't leave til 5.15pm, we won't have time for food or a pint when we get there, it's fucking miles away, our form is so up and doon you couldnae make it up, Coonty are "due" to win against us,the officials will be utterly shite, it will cost me a few bob, I won't get home till after midnight and i am up for work at 4.30am. I must be aff ma fucking nut..

2-1 Saints ( again)

I used to shout "Sloth" relentlessly at him when he was at Hamilton and Dundee. The look he gave me when he first trotted out at McDiarmid in a Saints top was memorable.

Random, are you sure that he recognised you or have you been watching Barney the Dinosaur?

Does 'trotted' imply you think he is like a horse?

:)

While St Johnstone supporters are reading this thread, I went to Elgin v East Stirlingshire at the weekend, specifically to look at a Shire forward. Yet I came away more impressed with his marker Ally Gilchrist.

Having seen the St Johnstone u20s on Friday, Gilchrist is already a step above his peers. I did wonder how Elgin would do with putting a (then) 19 year old with no first team experience in the centre of defence, when they were bottom of the league with the big problems in that area, but he more than handles himself in League 2. When he fills out a little he should a very capable full-time footballer.

Craig Thomson was on for 20 minutes and has some startling acceleration on him, but Gilchrist looks like the player more likely to play in the top flight based on Saturday.

Archived