The Real Staggies v The Real Saints

Michael Gardyne seems to become a better player as soon as he puts on that County shirt. He hasn't done well or not been given a chance at Celtic, Morton, Dundee United and Killie. But at County he has always been excellent. I would hope he wants to stay and we can offer him a two year contract.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

was a decent game, both sides pretty evenly matched I thought.

Must have been frustrating for the Saints fans as they had no attacking ambition against a wobbly County back line (Mark Brown in goal was dreadful, completely missing a couple of crosses, and his distribution a joke).

Gardyne, Cardle were both impressive and Liam Boyce is slow, but a clever reader of the game.

Can see County surviving, Saints look like a side with not a lot to play for.

Saints look like a side with not a lot to play for.

This is the most infuriating thing. A win would put us in the European places yet we play for a draw?

That was some test tonight. County asked St Johnstone's defence all the questions they've asked every other team in the run, but last ditch blocks, interceptions from cut-backs at the byline and Mannus's keeping kept the attack at arm's length until the end.

Martin Woods trying to playmake like:

giphy.gif

Michael Gardyne beating Brian Easton:

LikeABoss.gif

I'm probably happier about MacLean being on the losing side than County winning. He's a good player but he's a moaning c**t and his attempt at a dive in the first half was ridiculous (miraculous recovery from a "leg breaker" when he realised that the referee wasn't having it).

A draw wouldn't have been unjust. The momentum swung from team to team, without anyone ever really dominating for the majority. From my completely uneducated viewpoint, it did seem like a typical 4-4-2 vs. 4-4-2 game. The game was scrappy and lacked any real flow. St. Johnstone defended well for the most part whenever County got forward.

That said it's fucking fantastic to win. Great to see Boyce finally score again - he's deserved a goal based on his work since this run began (and even before then, with the ICT game springing to mind). A clean sheet is an added bonus. I'm nervous about Monday night now, Saint Mirren can't possibly get thumped again? Can they?

Byraway, my internal fanboy was gutted to see arguably the best Scottish player of my time getting hooked after 60 minutes or so for Lee Croft.

That was a battle. Think we thoroughly deserved the win though.

Really was feeling our run/luck was coming to an end. Despite numerous chances it was just looking like one of those nights.

Delighted for Boyce.

P.s. Refs don't seem to like Curran, do they?. That's the second game I've watched him being climbed on and clattered from behind, yet he gets given heehaw.

Made the last minute decision to drive up and really pleased I did. Good game between evenly matched teams, although we clearly offered more going forward.

My key observation - there is no way on earth that Reguero is worse than Brown. Brown's distribution (or lack of) invites unnecessary pressure every time he touches the ball. Get him hooked.

Made the last minute decision to drive up and really pleased I did. Good game between evenly matched teams, although we clearly offered more going forward.

My key observation - there is no way on earth that Reguero is worse than Brown. Brown's distribution (or lack of) invites unnecessary pressure every time he touches the ball. Get him hooked.

Hopefully we're looking at a new #1 for next season. I'd rather have a clear number 1 rather than 2 guys competing for the job, neither of whom fills you with confidence.

was a decent game, both sides pretty evenly matched I thought.

Must have been frustrating for the Saints fans as they had no attacking ambition against a wobbly County back line (Mark Brown in goal was dreadful, completely missing a couple of crosses, and his distribution a joke).

Reading your opening line I was not sure I went to the same game as you tonight. Definitely the worst game of the season so far in terms of quality, chances and skill. Just a succession of miss placed passes, shots (from one team) off target and other errors.

There is no doubt the right team won. If you only have one shot on goal you are not going to win the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpBuZ5nb6do

If all you had to go on was these highlights, you'd say we were more than worthy winners. I have 3 observations to make.

1. Not that it mattered in the end, but that could easily, (should?), have been a penalty.

2. Not that it mattered in the end, but I thought it was fair enough Boyce shooting instead of squaring to Curran. He had plenty space to aim at and wasn't far away with the effort. Maybe the pass would have led to a goal, but equally if he'd spotted the top corner befoer he spotted / heard Curran, the sudden dilemma / shift in focus could have caused a misplaced pass.

3. Those goal celebrations send tingles down my spine. Look how much these guys care, how much they want it. It's an unbelieveable run, and it's come with incredible hard work and focus instilled by McIntyre. It's all very well finding form and going on a run when you're already in a safe place - (you still need the focus, but the pressure is inevitably less when you're 10 points clear at the top of the league for example) - but this run, fighting for our lives against opposition above us in the league every time out, with Motherwell breathing down our necks. The pressure is huge, we keep it going because we have to in order to survive, not because we're the best thing since sliced weetabix. Interestingly enough, St Mirren on Monday will be the first time since the run started, that we are playing someone below us in the league!

I'm really starting to believe we'll stay up, not because I think we'll never lose again this season, but because it's fast becoming a 3 to 4 horse race to avoid 11th, and we're (before Partick's game in hand tonight) already closer to 9th than 11th.

Cant say I enjoyed the match, very nervous. St Johnstone are a hard, stuffy team, very difficult to break down (how many fouls and yellows btw).

But we kept plugging away and eventually got the goal we deserved. Brown was having a mare with his kicking and we were lucky that wasn't punished.

There was little between us in the three 2-1 defeats earlier this season, so I'm happy to finally get a win v SJ. They ended our 40 unbeaten run and I was concerned about the game last night, much more so than our visit to Tannadice last Saturday.

Midge was our best player yet again.

What has happened to Faddy.

Irvine suspension will be a blow.

@staggiearchive tweeted that Boyd ended up in A&E?

Having recovered from the very abusive and vile songs directed towards the away support, no complaints about the result as we certainly didn't do enough to win the match and allowed County too many opportunities to claim we merited our point. It was really only some profligate finishing that saw us run into the 84th minute before they scored. It's becoming a familiar feeling after away matches this season. Wary of moaning too much when you see the situation that St Mirren are in but we are brutal to watch a lot of the time. I thought we looked slightly better for a spell when we switched to 4-3-3 and it helped several of the players but County were already in the ascendency and weren't going to let up such was the obvious desire in their ranks. Interesting that a neutral took us to be a team without much to play for and there's little argument about who appeared to want it more last night.

Haven't been comfortable with the blasé attitude towards our position in the top six in recent weeks and I'd be more surprised if we did make it than didn't now. In truth, securing a spot would paper over a lot of cracks. A lot of work to be done in the summer, whatever happens in the next month or so.

@staggiearchive tweeted that Boyd ended up in A&E?

MacLean caught him in the face with an elbow during the first half. He looked to be clutching his eye afterwards so maybe something to do with that?

Forced myself to watch the highlights. We struggled to clear our lines all night and obviously we finally paid the price for that. Wright would have been picking up Boyce but has gone to charge down Cardle. His slip has seen Wright go to clear it but he's coming onto the ball all wrong and has Woods ahead of him so just hasn't met it well and then hasn't got back into position in time. It's tough for Easton, he can see the situation but has the danger of Gardyne behind him and for all Boyce is eventually unchallenged, he's stepped off Wotherspoon at the last moment. I'd maybe look a stage back and suggest that Lappin and Wotherspoon have dropped too deep and one of them should have been going to meet Cardle, allowing Wright to maintain as much shape as is possible in what admittedly become a bit of a scramble?

Archived