St Johnstone vs Dundee FC

Poor game not helped by a bumpy pitch and a fair bit of swirling wind - Saints deservedly ahead at the end of a brutal first half - second 45 much more enjoyable - though that might just have been because I wasn't freezing in the shadows in front of the Ormond Stand - no complaints about result - congrats to the Saintees on top six four years in a row

Some pictures from the match http://davidyoung.photoshelter.com/gallery/11-04-2015-St-Johnstone-v-Dundee/G0000qKBg1w5cQDI/

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Atmosphere in our end was pretty flat, like the game but that's also down to it being all ticket, wish they'd make these games pay at the gate, there's scope there for us getting around 3500 seats without causing segregation problems, in this day and age that's plenty and no need for it to be all ticket

How is the flat atmosphere in your end down to the game being all ticket? I think the "normal" away allocation at McDiarmid Park is around 2800 seats consisting of 1800 in the North Stand behind the goal and another 1000 in the north section of the Main Stand. If Saints were advised to expect more then we pretty much have to allocate tickets so we can monitor the numbers as it could mean having to move home fans. The section behind the other goal is exclusively for families so ordinary fans cannot just go in there when it's pay at the gate.

Yes we have a 10,500 seat stadium and it's never going to be full for a game like this but large sections are already allocated to home fans so we can't just let an unknown number of away fans turn up at 2.45pm and try to accommodate them somewhere. Remember that happened a few years ago and we had to unexpectedly open a closed stand to accommodate a small overspill.

You had 2842 fans in the ground, I would guess at least 2300 of you were together between the North and Main Stand. That's plenty enough fans sitting together to generate a bit of noise and atmosphere. The atmosphere in your end was flat because your team gave you nothing to get excited about. The game was rubbish.

Funniest part of about all this complaining about the wind is that it was the main reason behind Dundees only two chances, one was completely down to the wind.

We were quiet because it's hard to get up for games against run of the mill teams after a proper derby.

Unfortunately it's a feeling you will never know. You should just say thanks for the money from a travelling support which frankly makes your home gate even more embarrassing.

We will get the 3 points in the 4th meeting.

oh how bitter

Funniest part of about all this complaining about the wind is that it was the main reason behind Dundees only two chances, one was completely down to the wind.

3 chances m8.

First thing, where's all the complaining about the wind coming from?

Second thing, if our two chances came about (due to said wind) how can only one (of said chances) be completely down to the wind? Surely you could have left your post at "it was the main reason behind Dundees two chances".

Finally, my only complaint about wind wouldn't be about the weather yesterday but all the hot wind and pish you're blowing all over the forum.

One was set up by the wind, the other was a cross carried by the wind and turned into a chance because of it.

I think the most impressive thing about St Johnstone yesterday is that there drummer managed to be completely invisible. I heard the drum, but for the life of me couldn't pinpoint his location and the ability to hide a big b*****d of a drum is mightily impressive.

That was a horrific game but it always happens in front of a large travelling support. Conditions were awful and the pitch didn't help. I thought Hartley got the team wrong yesterday, should of had Heffernan and Harris on from the start. We looked more threatening with them on. We were actually the better team yesterday, just shows how poor a game it was. I can see why Saints have a great goals against column, everything long ball and cleared at first attempt. It works I s'pose but brutal to watch.

Well done saints, hopefully we join yous top six later today.

It turns out it was Lappin that drilled the ball for Mannus to produce his save. We really were a bit too tippy tappy yesterday, good few opportunities missed because we were trying to pass our way into the box rather than just have a pop. Normally works for us, but conditions didn't allow it and it was meat and drink for St Johnstone's back line.

I think the most impressive thing about St Johnstone yesterday is that there drummer managed to be completely invisible. I heard the drum, but for the life of me couldn't pinpoint his location and the ability to hide a big b*****d of a drum is mightily impressive.

the drum was just along from me and i couldn't see it at all, :lol: whenever it started i looked along and couldn't notice the fucker.

I think if you look at it, combine the two teams yesterday and our have a very good team that'd be finishing 2nd IMO.

Both goalkeepers are very good at this level and are pretty evenly matched. Although Bains kicking was a but suspect yesterday.

If have saints back 4 over any of Dundee's and looking at out goals against column quite rightly so.

A midfield pairing is a bit tricky. Lappin and Millar were better than McGinn, Ferry and McAllister, but tbh Millar is the only one there that stands out a little, either way they're all pretty similar in what they do and are all much of a muchness.

Whereas attacking, on form, O'Halloran is the only one who'd break into the Dundee team. I guess based on what I've seen possibly Graham too, but then all he's up against was Clarkson. Neither can play up front on their own though.

Still it's just two very evenly matched teams who play opposite styles of football.

Forgot about that early Mannus save tbh, had no idea it was actually Lappin until reading the report.

And yeah, our backlines starting to creak. Wrights the first to go, and is still considering whether to carry on playing next season. We have Brad McKay coming in to try and replace him, so need to see how that goes. Think we'll be okay as long as we're just replacing one at a time and the replacements are capable enough. As Easton and Anderson still have at least four years in them, Mannus probably has around that too. Replace Wright this year then start thinking about Mackay. Fills me with the fear, tbh.

I think if you look at it, combine the two teams yesterday and our have a very good team that'd be finishing 2nd IMO.

Both goalkeepers are very good at this level and are pretty evenly matched. Although Bains kicking was a but suspect yesterday.

If have saints back 4 over any of Dundee's and looking at out goals against column quite rightly so.

A midfield pairing is a bit tricky. Lappin and Millar were better than McGinn, Ferry and McAllister, but tbh Millar is the only one there that stands out a little, either way they're all pretty similar in what they do and are all much of a muchness.

Whereas attacking, on form, O'Halloran is the only one who'd break into the Dundee team. I guess based on what I've seen possibly Graham too, but then all he's up against was Clarkson. Neither can play up front on their own though.

Still it's just two very evenly matched teams who play opposite styles of football.

I was surprised to see him take Graham off yesterday as he was a bit of a handfull at times.

Does Wotherspoon usually hit the ball directly out of play as often as he did yesterday?

I was surprised to see him take Graham off yesterday as he was a bit of a handfull at times.

Does Wotherspoon usually hit the ball directly out of play as often as he did yesterday?

Think we all were, but he seems to have a fascination with MacLean. Understandable usually, but he's been pretty fucking awful since his latest injury.

Not usually, but he has days where literally nothing he tries comes off, is a total confidence player. If his first cross or pass goes awry then hes fucked, if it goes well he'll spend the rest of the game causing havoc until he does make a mistake, then he turns to shit. Frustrating, as when hes good hes ridiculous, the goal he almost scored in the Final sums him up. Wins ball deep in own half, runs length of pitch, takes the absolute piss out numerous defenders then blasts a simple chance to score straight at the keeper.

Mental decision tbh.

Ummm.....no, yesterday was an especially bad day at the office. Unfortunately the moment he gives the ball away the head goes down and the crowd get on his back. He's capable of moments of sublime skill and I'll never question his work rate.

Archived