St Johnstone vs Dundee FC

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great achievement getting top 6 again, incredible to think we might be in with a crack at Europe for a fourth season in a row. Hopefully our great defence can be maintained but we can add a bit more positive play for next season, we haven't been very pleasing on the eye for too many games this season.

Got to offer Brian Graham a contract for next season, we're not going to unearth another striker who will score double figures.

Well done to Dundee, good first season back up making top 6 - the three way Tayside battle for fourth is on!

Have to echo earlier comments though - that's both games this season Dundee have brought good away supports of around 2800 or so, but they've made hardly any noise at all. Dundee crowds of years gone by used to be far better value. I hate to say it but even Utd fans sing more, and they generally know their team is about to get raped and pillaged every time they play us. Your team is doing well, good manager, a bit of stability at the club and yet there's no buzz about the crowd whatsoever. Especially away from home when a support is usually noisier.

If you're going to continue bringing nothing to the table then I'm sorry but we might have to look elsewhere for our derby rivalry...

I don't think the crowd do get on Wotherspoon's back, in fact I think he gets a pretty easy time of it because he's one of us and everyone is willing him to do well. Kevin Moon was possibly the same. I do agree about his confidence though and there's a sense of dejection when he makes a mistake because you know the head is going to go down. Hibs used to drop him when he suffered these dips and Tommy Wright has tried to manage it differently but it's not really made a difference.

He's a bit like the team generally this season, we keep saying that they are capable of better but maybe the truth is that he and they aren't. If I was being more generous though, I'd say maybe Wright just isn't getting the best out of him? He's certainly not from Croft, who has been a shadow of the player that was in Perth on loan. Wright has got him so drilled defensively that he's given little opportunity to show any flair or initiative. He scored a couple of goals from central areas in his first spell here, now he's glued to the right side when he plays.

Great achievement getting top 6 again, incredible to think we might be in with a crack at Europe for a fourth season in a row. Hopefully our great defence can be maintained but we can add a bit more positive play for next season, we haven't been very pleasing on the eye for too many games this season.

Got to offer Brian Graham a contract for next season, we're not going to unearth another striker who will score double figures.

Well done to Dundee, good first season back up making top 6 - the three way Tayside battle for fourth is on!

Have to echo earlier comments though - that's both games this season Dundee have brought good away supports of around 2800 or so, but they've made hardly any noise at all. Dundee crowds of years gone by used to be far better value. I hate to say it but even Utd fans sing more, and they generally know their team is about to get raped and pillaged every time they play us. Your team is doing well, good manager, a bit of stability at the club and yet there's no buzz about the crowd whatsoever. Especially away from home when a support is usually noisier.

If you're going to continue bringing nothing to the table then I'm sorry but we might have to look elsewhere for our derby rivalry...

I think the fact that you were our main rivals in the first division years meant there were always good atmospheres. Now that we're back to having at least three proper derbys a season a game against St Johnstone just doesn't get the plums pumping any more. Still strangely quiet yesterday though

Saints fans eh ? Get it your heads we don't have a derby . We don't need a derby . Every fucking team is a rival , they all want to beat Saints so in my eyes we should be kicking f**k out their c***s and shagging their mums .

Makes a change from shagging your own mum I suppose.

I'm surprised at how defensively Tommy Wright has St Johnstone playing. It's certainly arguable that he's only pissing with what he has, and that he's doing a remarkable job to get a side that scores less than a goal a game into the top 6.

It makes the comments from St Johnstone fans understandable though, as it must be brutal watching it week in, week out. Very effective, but not a lot in the way of entertainment. Defend as a unit, safety first at all times, no matter the circumstance and lump it up to Graham in the hope that the midfield can support him or he can create a chance out of nothing.

Not a criticism by the way, as it obviously gets the job done, but I wonder if in the Summer he'll bring in more creative/attacking options and look to expand on his playing style or still prefer a solid, defensive outlook on things. Risky moving to a more freeflowing style as it will be difficult to match the results of the defensive system, but sooner or later the fans will just get fed up of the product on show considering this season has a 'disappointing' vibe for them despite being successful once again?

He's already said he's looking at attacking players and a strikers the priority. Hopefully we get Graham now, as despite his massive flaws, hes getting the goals. We're linked with Gavin Reilly, a lot, but I can't see it happening myself, nor am I certain he'd be as good for us as everyone seems to think. Our midfield signings will be key to next season, as with Hearts and possibly Rangers coming up we can't really afford another season scoring this few goals, especially as Dundee will be stronger next year too.

I'm surprised at how defensively Tommy Wright has St Johnstone playing. It's certainly arguable that he's only pissing with what he has, and that he's doing a remarkable job to get a side that scores less than a goal a game into the top 6.

It makes the comments from St Johnstone fans understandable though, as it must be brutal watching it week in, week out. Very effective, but not a lot in the way of entertainment. Defend as a unit, safety first at all times, no matter the circumstance and lump it up to Graham in the hope that the midfield can support him or he can create a chance out of nothing.

Not a criticism by the way, as it obviously gets the job done, but I wonder if in the Summer he'll bring in more creative/attacking options and look to expand on his playing style or still prefer a solid, defensive outlook on things. Risky moving to a more freeflowing style as it will be difficult to match the results of the defensive system, but sooner or later the fans will just get fed up of the product on show considering this season has a 'disappointing' vibe for them despite being successful once again?

That's always the big question isn't it, would you rather your team won ugly or played attractive football and struggled. We were spoilt last season with a good balance of both. But the manager wasn't given much support in the summer when Stevie May left, so we struggled for 5 or 6 weeks and on the back of that Tommy made us really stuffy and hard to score against, and it worked.

I don't think any of us mind in away games in Europe or at celtic, aberdeen away etc , but it's now our default tactic in a game - defend what we have. We are the only team in Scottish league football not to have scored more than 2 goals on any single match this season., second lowest scorers in the prem.. And yet we're battling for fourth!

I think next season will be different, as you say TW has just made the most of our strengths this season, we've already signed most of our squad we'll be keeping for next season, and add in a couple of attacking players and a full pre-season and we will hopefully see a lot more entertainment...

It turns out it was Lappin that drilled the ball for Mannus to produce his save. We really were a bit too tippy tappy yesterday, good few opportunities missed because we were trying to pass our way into the box rather than just have a pop. Normally works for us, but conditions didn't allow it and it was meat and drink for St Johnstone's back line.

Glad my eyes were not deceiving me! Couldn't work out when this other wonder save by Mannus from a "Gowser" shot had happened.

Who was the bald, fat, middled aged man making a massive James Blunt of himself at the half time Crossbar Challenge

The Ghost of Jim Morton - as bad at kicking a ball as he is at trolling.

Archived