Are You Doing Your Bit?

Granny Danger

Simple. When your old auntie shuffles off to join the choir invisible, her house can be re-let to someone who needs a roof over their head, rather than having to pay exorbitant renrt to a private landlord - or, more likely, claiming Housing Benefit which will go directly from the public purse to that landlord.

Maybe, if people saw Social Housing as the public service it actually is, and stopped treating houses as investments rather than homes, we'd be a lot better off as a nation.

Nothing makes me angrier than the use of rising house prices to indicate prosperity when what it really means is that an entire generation is being shafted for the enrichment of a few profiteers. The whole concept of a market, with supply and demand used in a financial sense, in one of the basic resources a society should provide, is nothing short of obscene. It is a bigger scandal to me than expenses, tax-dodging or corrupt government contracts.

Very good.

One wonders how Nicola felt when her parents bought their own council house.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very good.

Seeing as she was 9 at the time, I'm not sure she had much of a say in it.

Bit of a bizarre stick to hit her with tbh.

I have only really started to get properly into politics since just before the referendum so I am certainly not as politically active as many others. I have no qualms saying I am a SNP supporter and that is where my vote will go, just as I'm proud to say I voted Yes in September and remain in the thought that I believe Scotland should be an independent country.

You won't see me running SNP stalls any time soon, but I'll certainly support those who do when I pass. Maybe that will change in the future, but I await the General Election results like a proper fucking Clyde lads day out. It may make Septembers result that little bit bearable.

I have only really started to get properly into politics since just before the referendum so I am certainly not as politically active as many others. I have no qualms saying I am a SNP supporter and that is where my vote will go, just as I'm proud to say I voted Yes in September and remain in the thought that I believe Scotland should be an independent country.

You won't see me running SNP stalls any time soon, but I'll certainly support those who do when I pass. Maybe that will change in the future, but I await the General Election results like a proper fucking Clyde lads day out. It may make Septembers result that little bit bearable.

Do Clyde not usually get beat tho ;)

Very good.

Any shred of doubt I had left that you are a complete zoomer has just been removed with that post.

You're not clever, you're not funny and you contribute nothing to this forum.

On the right to buy thing, it's something I am unsure about. In theory I like the idea that people who have been renting a council house for years should be able to eventually own it, but it seems to cause a lot of problems.

My solution would be

A capped right to buy where only a limited number of properties can be sold every year

Serious rent controls on privately rented properties

Any shred of doubt I had left that you are a complete zoomer has just been removed with that post.

You're not clever, you're not funny and you contribute nothing to this forum.

^^^

Probably bought his own cooncil hoose.

Why don't you go and f**k yourself, you pathetic, sad, sanctimonious old git.

On the right to buy thing, it's something I am unsure about. In theory I like the idea that people who have been renting a council house for years should be able to eventually own it, but it seems to cause a lot of problems.

My solution would be

A capped right to buy where only a limited number of properties can be sold every year

Serious rent controls on privately rented properties

I have no problem with right to buy.....at market rate. It is the discount that is the issue.

I have no problem with right to buy.....at market rate. It is the discount that is the issue.

Even at market rate its wrong, you are depleting social housing stock and what about the public purse which has paid to maintain these properties for years too?

If you can afford to buy at market rate you can afford to buy privately, the government should help people do that and no council houses should ever be sold.

Even at market rate its wrong, you are depleting social housing stock and what about the public purse which has paid to maintain these properties for years too?

If you can afford to buy at market rate you can afford to buy privately, the government should help people do that and no council houses should ever be sold.

The planning process in Scotland is making new social housing available. If selling existing stock at full market rate helps accelerate this process then I am all for it. The reality is that selling the current social housing stock in Scotland could realistically allow for double the number to be built.

The government should not be helping people get into private ownership. Address the underlying problem - the lack of available affordable housing. Any government intervention in the housing market is only exasperating the situation. Basic economics tells you the way to bring prices down is to increase supply.

Just spent 4 hours of my sunday morning inputting canvass returns and far from any sign of tactical voting labour and lib dems, are coming to the snp in droves.

It's a very similar situation up and down the country

Archived