Are You Doing Your Bit?

Granny Danger

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Change of title name and a bump.

Lots of SNP supporters on here. Are you doing anything to help?

Even a few hours handing out leaflets over the next two and a half weeks could help.

Better still if you live close to a marginal go help out there. The enormous sense of well being you will feel when the incumbent donkey is sent packing will be well worth it.

We never read very much about about actual SNP policy on any of your threads on here.

Maybe you could explain to my old auntie (who's probably about your age) why she cannot now buy her council house unlike her cousin in down there Englandshire?

You know I'm not very bright when it comes to explaining these things.

:(

We never read very much about about actual SNP policy on any of your threads on here.

Maybe you could explain to my old auntie (who's probably about your age) why she cannot now buy her council house unlike her cousin in down there Englandshire?

I would ask her why she thinks she should be entitled to buy it given it belongs to the public and somebody else will need it after her. Where does she propose these people who will need her house go?

Then ask her how she thinks she got it in the first place, and where would she be now if the government had sold her house to the previous tenants.

Because allowing people to buy council houses at massive discounts is why we have nowhere near enough council houses now, and is one of the factors that led to the property bubble that means practically nobody under 30 can actually buy a house these days. Nobody is saying that it isn't a great deal for the potential buyer - it is! - but that in the long run, privatisation of social housing hurts the country more than it helps. When your old auntie pops her clogs, the house will go to some young couple that needs it, rather than to be divvied up on a will to a bunch of people who probably already have houses.

I wonder if we could do that with all government services, can I just buy a hospital bed for £200 quid? No matter it will be required by 'thousands of other people I want it why can't I buy it for a laughably cheap price and deny use of it to all others for the rest of time? Then when I sell it for thirty times what I paid for it give that money to my kids, what is unreasonable about that?

When I am home next week I will be delivering leaflets in Aberdeen. I have received 1 snp leaflet and 2 labour through my door but I think Labours ones are getting delivered by the postie.

Anne Begg oot!

Why the f**k should my council tax money go to repairs etc on houses so that some old biddy can get a cheap house. f**k right off.

After my selfish viewpoint it's caused a housing crisis and a private rental market that has created overly high rents and distributes wealth upwards to the few, whilst taking ridiculous sums of money out of people's wages every month.

Of all the good things the SNP have done removing right to buy is one of the ones I am delighted about. It was a fucking horrible piece of legislation and should never have been introduced.

I would ask her why she thinks she should be entitled to buy it given it belongs to the public and somebody else will need it after her. Where does she propose these people who will need her house go?

Then ask her how she thinks she got it in the first place, and where would she be now if the government had sold her house to the previous tenants.

Because allowing people to buy council houses at massive discounts is why we have nowhere near enough council houses now, and is one of the factors that led to the property bubble that means practically nobody under 30 can actually buy a house these days. Nobody is saying that it isn't a great deal for the potential buyer - it is! - but that in the long run, privatisation of social housing hurts the country more than it helps. When your old auntie pops her clogs, the house will go to some young couple that needs it, rather than to be divvied up on a will to a bunch of people who probably already have houses.

Why the f**k should my council tax money go to repairs etc on houses so that some old biddy can get a cheap house. f**k right off.

After my selfish viewpoint it's caused a housing crisis and a private rental market that has created overly high rents and distributes wealth upwards to the few, whilst taking ridiculous sums of money out of people's wages every month.

Of all the good things the SNP have done removing right to buy is one of the ones I am delighted about. It was a fucking horrible piece of legislation and should never have been introduced.

Good answers, although I have found a decent article here weighing up the pros and cons.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2002/jul/03/politics.publicservices

I can mind, in the midst of the miners strike, working in High Valleyfield, Fife, when council house tenants were literally queing up to buy the homes they had rented for years and years.

Many of these people transformed their homes once they had bought them - I can even mind a guy I knew cementing garden gnomes in place in his garden. Cemented in place for obvious reasons!

Pugs for Nicola.

Anyhow, great days campaigning out in Edinburgh. Sun was shining, people smiled, we got a power of leaflets delivered, the stall was great fun.

Labour were out as well but that's to be expected, Murray is suddenly taking this seriously. Two weeks to go and he's fighting for his political life.

Simple. When your old auntie shuffles off to join the choir invisible, her house can be re-let to someone who needs a roof over their head, rather than having to pay exorbitant renrt to a private landlord - or, more likely, claiming Housing Benefit which will go directly from the public purse to that landlord.

Maybe, if people saw Social Housing as the public service it actually is, and stopped treating houses as investments rather than homes, we'd be a lot better off as a nation.

Nothing makes me angrier than the use of rising house prices to indicate prosperity when what it really means is that an entire generation is being shafted for the enrichment of a few profiteers. The whole concept of a market, with supply and demand used in a financial sense, in one of the basic resources a society should provide, is nothing short of obscene. It is a bigger scandal to me than expenses, tax-dodging or corrupt government contracts.

Simple. When your old auntie shuffles off to join the choir invisible, her house can be re-let to someone who needs a roof over their head, rather than having to pay exorbitant renrt to a private landlord - or, more likely, claiming Housing Benefit which will go directly from the public purse to that landlord.

Maybe, if people saw Social Housing as the public service it actually is, and stopped treating houses as investments rather than homes, we'd be a lot better off as a nation.

Nothing makes me angrier than the use of rising house prices to indicate prosperity when what it really means is that an entire generation is being shafted for the enrichment of a few profiteers. The whole concept of a market, with supply and demand used in a financial sense, in one of the basic resources a society should provide, is nothing short of obscene. It is a bigger scandal to me than expenses, tax-dodging or corrupt government contracts.

Abso-fucking-lutely.

Take a bow sir.

Spot on

This is my exact views.

You're clearly my alias.

Good answers, although I have found a decent article here weighing up the pros and cons.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2002/jul/03/politics.publicservices

I can mind, in the midst of the miners strike, working in High Valleyfield, Fife, when council house tenants were literally queing up to buy the homes they had rented for years and years.

Many of these people transformed their homes once they had bought them - I can even mind a guy I knew cementing garden gnomes in place in his garden. Cemented in place for obvious reasons!

Oh Johnny, dear dear Johnny.

I fear that you are suffering from toryitis.

Wire brush and dettol for you.

XX

Archived