The Witcher 3

spud131

• 3 weeks later...

I've only just reached Novigrad about level 12. Really enjoying this.

BUT

The loading time has gone from non existent to completely farcical since I finished the Baron's stuff. Infact, I've just arrived in Novigrad and it feels like it's frozen. VERY frustrated as I'm seriously getting into this now. :thumbsdown

Before reaching Novigrad i enjoyed this so much. Now done a couple of small side missions I've fallen in love with it. I'm level 13, Please tell me I've barely scratched the surface so far? I've just met some dwarf with a mohawk.

Really wish I'd played the previous games now too, can imagine the delight of meeting some of these people knowing what's happened previously.

4 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Before reaching Novigrad i enjoyed this so much. Now done a couple of small side missions I've fallen in love with it. I'm level 13, Please tell me I've barely scratched the surface so far? I've just met some dwarf with a mohawk.

Really wish I'd played the previous games now too, can imagine the delight of meeting some of these people knowing what's happened previously.

You've barely scratched the surface so far, especially with 2 sets of DLC. Zoltan is the boy.

I was the same, once I'd completed it I thought about going back to fill in the back story or even read the books (which are obvs translated from Polish), but the games are only very loosely based on the books, particularly when you get to Witcher 3.

21 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

You have an absolutely massive amount left to do.  Just wait until you get to the point - no spoilers - where you think the game's just about to end.  Then you've still got several hours worth to go.

Finally finished Blood and Wine yesterday - spoilers ahoy

I assumed there was only one ending, but since discovered there are three.  Unlike the main game, I managed to get the worst ending possible with both Anna and Syanna dieing.  Stand by the decisions I made though - vampire was being a right chopper, and fail to see how handing the girl over to him after he firebombs the city is the good thing to do.  But then maybe that's the intention - doing the horrible thing yields the "nicest" ending.  Wouldn't surprise me with the writing the series had.

As for the DLC itself, it's another triumph.  The base game is colourful in parts, but on the whole it's pretty dark and dreary story and setting wise.  Hearts of Stone really took a turn for the dark, while Blood and Wine was just full of colour and put a lot more humour into proceedings.  I finished HoS just before I started B+W so it was a really nice change to go from that quest in the painting fighting demons to punching foppish knights in the face in a world full of colour.  

Having said all that, I don't think B+W gripped me quite as much as the other two.  Could've just been the way I was playing it, and towards the end I felt like I just wanted to see the ending rather than go through every side mission.  Still got quite a few things left to do, but not sure if I'll go back to it.  It's a shame that the story is now over though - they've made it pretty clear that Geralt's story ends after this, particularly with the nudge-nudge wink-wink look to the camera he does during the ending.  Hands down the best game I've ever played.

50 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I'm level 13, Please tell me I've barely scratched the surface so far?

So much still to go.  I'm level 49 having completed the main game, Hearts of Stone and just tidying up the side quests in Blood and Wine before completing the final quest in that too.  I've sunk literally hundreds of hours in to the Witcher 3 and it's been time very well spent.

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Just back into this after a break and have downloaded the two dlc packs.

Battle of Kaer Morhen.

Holy f*uck.

Vesemir's role in that battle is one of the most memorable in any game I've ever played. 

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

I'm currently recruiting in Skellige for the battle at Kaer Morhen and have barely played Gwent. Tried it a few times early on and lost every single time as my cards were pissh.

Does take a while for you to build up a decent deck, some people reward you with specific cards- this tends to be from the characters you're instructed to play and some are random (from a certain population) if you beat the local blacksmith or innkeeper.

If you're interested in the collecting them all achievement then you're humped if you've gone past the masquerade ball- which you have if you're preparing for the battle at KM- as those are the only cards that are still missable, they patched it so that you could collect all the others if the character died before you played them (unless a subsequent patch has changed this).

I made a separate playthrough purely for that purpose :(