The Witcher 3

spud131

Seriously? Ive just sat through more lengthy cut scenes, answering random questions and then I had to pick an outfit and get dressed. THATS the best bit? :o

No, not the 10 minute meeting with the emperor, the whole sequence after that in Velen.

It took me a while to get into it too; it helps when you get more into the characters and start thinking of yourself playing as Geralt rather than as an avatar of yourself ala Fallout. That said, stop whingeing and just play the game or don't man.

Edited by Antti Niemi

Im pretty certain I wont :(

If it doesnt get better pretty quick I wont be playing it in 3 days

What, walk everywhere? Why would I want to do that?

:o

I'm not entirely sure where in the game you are, but I would definitely urge you to stick with it.

I'd tell you how long I've spent on the game, but I don't want to embarrass myself.

Just started Hearts of Stone the other night - is it just me or has the difficulty been totally ramped up? I am level 36 after completing the main game but already have had my arse handed to me by a pack of wild boars and the knights at the drug factory. Even bandit camps are a total battle now. I was on the 2nd hardest difficulty and hardly died in the main story but I had to put it to the easiest mode to kill the knights!!

Carrying on now on the 2nd easiest level - does it continue getting harder or is this the level for the DLC?

Just started Hearts of Stone the other night - is it just me or has the difficulty been totally ramped up? I am level 36 after completing the main game but already have had my arse handed to me by a pack of wild boars and the knights at the drug factory. Even bandit camps are a total battle now. I was on the 2nd hardest difficulty and hardly died in the main story but I had to put it to the easiest mode to kill the knights!!

Carrying on now on the 2nd easiest level - does it continue getting harder or is this the level for the DLC?

They've definitely upped the difficulty level for the DLC.

No, not the 10 minute meeting with the emperor, the whole sequence after that in Velen.

It took me a while to get into it too; it helps when you get more into the characters and start thinking of yourself playing as Geralt rather than as an avatar of yourself ala Fallout. That said, stop whingeing and just play the game or don't man.

Im in Velen now, its basically the same as before.

I think thats the biggest problem, Im just not interested in Geralt or what happens to him. I dont think the 3rd person view or the lengthy cut scenes help. Maybe I'll get more into the character as I play.

Yeah, imagine discussing a game on an online forum about that game  :rolleyes:

ETA - to be fair, I probably wouldnt have bothered posting if it hadnt been for the posters on the Fallout 4 thread going on and on about how much better Witcher 3 was. I wanted to check I wasnt missing something

Edited by Mr X

Im in Velen now, its basically the same as before.

I think thats the biggest problem, Im just not interested in Geralt or what happens to him. I dont think the 3rd person view or the lengthy cut scenes help. Maybe I'll get more into the character as I play.

Yeah, imagine discussing a game on an online forum about that game  :rolleyes:

ETA - to be fair, I probably wouldnt have bothered posting if it hadnt been for the posters on the Fallout 4 thread going on and on about how much better Witcher 3 was. I wanted to check I wasnt missing something

If you're only in Velen, definitely stick with. Wait till you get to Skellige.

Im just about to meet some Baron. The pattern of the game is established now - ride the horse along a track for ages > kill something (optional) > speak to someone > watch loong cut scene > ride the horse along a track for ages > repeat

Isn't that effectively Fallout 4 as well (and most other games of the same type)? 

I remember getting the game because it looked similar to Skyrim, and getting just about to the point where I was ready to give up on it.  Didn't, and now I've played an absolutely enormous number of hours on it, and it's comfortably the best game I've ever played.  It's not going to be for everyone though I suppose.

Isn't that effectively Fallout 4 as well (and most other games of the same type)? 

I remember getting the game because it looked similar to Skyrim, and getting just about to the point where I was ready to give up on it.  Didn't, and now I've played an absolutely enormous number of hours on it, and it's comfortably the best game I've ever played.  It's not going to be for everyone though I suppose.

Yes, the biggest criticism of Fallout and Skyrim is that the missions are too similar - something that was much better in Witcher, apparently.

My point in that post was more about the constant cut scenes after doing very little in the actual game. Plus fast travel is a lot easier in Fallout/Skyrim so the tediousness of travelling is less.

Yes, the biggest criticism of Fallout and Skyrim is that the missions are too similar - something that was much better in Witcher, apparently.

My point in that post was more about the constant cut scenes after doing very little in the actual game. Plus fast travel is a lot easier in Fallout/Skyrim so the tediousness of travelling is less.

The story does take a much more prominent seat in the Witcher than it does in other games.  Fallout of course has the overarching plot, but you can quite happily wander around doing everything but the story there.  With this it's a lot more tightly coupled.  I find the story one of the best written in any game, but if you don't enjoy it, then you're probably not going to like the game either.  I think it's a strength - you're doing side quests that advance the characters rather than just busy work as in some other games (f**k off Preston).  But again, if you don't care about those characters or the story, then that's not really going to be a plus.

Point taken about the fast travelling, but I find it forces you to experience the game world more than it does in things like Skyrim or Fallout.  I'd always find myself just skipping between two or three locations, and damn what's in between, but with the way they set up the points in the Witcher, I'll usually take a horse directly rather than go and find a point to travel from and to.

The story does take a much more prominent seat in the Witcher than it does in other games.  Fallout of course has the overarching plot, but you can quite happily wander around doing everything but the story there.  With this it's a lot more tightly coupled.  I find the story one of the best written in any game, but if you don't enjoy it, then you're probably not going to like the game either.  I think it's a strength - you're doing side quests that advance the characters rather than just busy work as in some other games (f**k off Preston).  But again, if you don't care about those characters or the story, then that's not really going to be a plus.

Point taken about the fast travelling, but I find it forces you to experience the game world more than it does in things like Skyrim or Fallout.  I'd always find myself just skipping between two or three locations, and damn what's in between, but with the way they set up the points in the Witcher, I'll usually take a horse directly rather than go and find a point to travel from and to.

Cheers for that. What you say makes a lot of sense. I'll keep going but I doubt I'll be able to resist urge to finish the main Fallout 4 story or start the DLC for long!

The White Orchard bit is a bit dull. Finish the entire Bloody Baron quest line and then see what you think. Note, it will take a while and you'll need to tie up a few other branches of quests in the area before you find the bones of it. 

If you don't reflect on that part of the game fondly then I'm not sure the rest of it will suit you either. 

The White Orchard bit is a bit dull. Finish the entire Bloody Baron quest line and then see what you think. Note, it will take a while and you'll need to tie up a few other branches of quests in the area before you find the bones of it. 

If you don't reflect on that part of the game fondly then I'm not sure the rest of it will suit you either. 

Thats pretty much where I am. Just beaten him in the horse race. 

I thought Blood and Wine wasn't due until tomorrow but my Xbox is in the middle of a 2.9GB update to the game, so I'm assuming it's landed early. So exciting...

Think B&W did hit XBox quicker. I'm just having my first wee shot in a while since finishing HoS to get up to speed with the mechanics again. Although the patch fucked up a few mods which took a while to fix.