The Witcher 3

spud131

I'm at level 9 and just finished the quest with Keira. Done all the ?'s in White Orchard before moving on and kicking everyone's ass at Gwent (except Stepjan who is a beast).

This is my favourite game of the year and I feel like I haven't even scratched the surface.

Edited by GingerSaint

Was going to say it's a bit unfair all the dwarves sound Scottish then I made my first trip to Skellige and they're all Norn Iron...

Slight hole in the story that getting to Skellige the first time is a bit of a hassle but after that you can fast travel back and forth no bother

In the previous games all the witchers were American, all the nobility was English, the Dwarves Scottish and all the farmers Welsh. They do like their stereotypes. 

In the previous games all the witchers were American, all the nobility was English, the Dwarves Scottish and all the farmers Welsh. They do like their stereotypes. 

Zoltan's patter is superb, tbf.  In fact all the Scottish accents in the game are pretty much spot on, which is rare.

Zoltan's voice acting is great but there were some dodgy imitations in W1 and W2! Clearly their VA budget is increasing nicely with the continued success of their games, ha.

I've only been to Skellige to finish the side quest with Lambert, I'm level 20 as well. Trying to hold off on the main quest for as long as possible.

This is superb, bar a couple of minor bugs (folk walking through solid objects, horses in general) and holes in the story so far, 9.5/10 game, blows Fallout 4 out of the water for me.

Don't think I've ever been sexually attracted to so many CGI women before either  :unsure:

Yeah Fallout 4 is decent but Bethesda dropped the ball. The Witcher 3 just sets new standards for the genre in graphics, gameplay, storytelling, morality, immersion, down to crafting a whole personality and background for every major or minor character in the game.

Can't say enough good things about it.

Don't want to focus on the negative, but I have had 2 glitches in the story I think, one where you have to craft bait to lure out some monster, then spread the bait.

Rather than collect the ingredients nearby, I fast travelled to Novigrad as I wanted to get ingredients to craft some relict oil as well, but when I came back the markers as to where to put the bait had disappeared so I thought you had to just spread it about randomly. Was stuck for about half an hour with no progress so googled it, reloaded, picked up the ingredients to make the bait rather than buy them, and it was fine.

The other one is more story related, so :

The Nobleman Statuette Case- kept handing it to Triss and she'd say let's go and start the quest, but there wasn't a dialogue option to start it.

I've now completed the quest where she sails away at the end once you rescue the mages (I didn't bother trying to get her to stay, which Dijkstra berated me for) and now the quest is still on the to-do list but there's nowhere to start it. Should probably be showing up as a failed quest rather than outstanding.

Edited by Fuctifano

The other one is more story related, so :

The Nobleman Statuette Case- kept handing it to Triss and she'd say let's go and start the quest, but there wasn't a dialogue option to start it.

I've now completed the quest where she sails away at the end once you rescue the mages (I didn't bother trying to get her to stay, which Dijkstra berated me for) and now the quest is still on the to-do list but there's nowhere to start it. Should probably be showing up as a failed quest rather than outstanding.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.  IIRC, it was one of the more minor side quests and was over very quickly.

I finished the Heart of Stone expansion earlier in the week.  Well worth picking up.  A similar feel to the Bloody Baron story, but not quite as emotionally engaging - although that might just be because I got distracted for a couple of weeks 2/3 of the way through.  Shani is yet another interesting (and hot) female NPC.

There's still no release date for the next, even bigger, expansion - Blood and Wine.  Any time between April and June by the sounds of things.  I've got my season pass so I eagerly await its arrival!

I wouldn't worry too much about it.  IIRC, it was one of the more minor side quests and was over very quickly.

I finished the Heart of Stone expansion earlier in the week.  Well worth picking up.  A similar feel to the Bloody Baron story, but not quite as emotionally engaging - although that might just be because I got distracted for a couple of weeks 2/3 of the way through.  Shani is yet another interesting (and hot) female NPC.

There's still no release date for the next, even bigger, expansion - Blood and Wine.  Any time between April and June by the sounds of things.  I've got my season pass so I eagerly await its arrival!

End of April is rumoured as of yesterday.  Sounds like they're wanting to get it out the door so they can start concentrating more on their next new game.  I never did get that far into Blood and Wine when it was released.  Think I got to the first big monster, and it repeatedly battered through me every single time.  Planning to go right back to the start and do another playthrough, complete it using that.

Yeah Fallout 4 is decent but Bethesda dropped the ball. The Witcher 3 just sets new standards for the genre in graphics, gameplay, storytelling, morality, immersion, down to crafting a whole personality and background for every major or minor character in the game.

Can't say enough good things about it.

There was a good example last night when I was playing Fallout 4.  No direct spoilers, but there was a fairly major character dieing.  I get the feeling it was supposed to be this huge, emotional moment, but the wanderer and the soon-to-be-dead traded comments, then there was an unintentionally funny final line before they just slumped down dead against the wall. 

Compare that to the Witcher, and the difference is clear.  I posted a few pages back about my favourite side quest in the game where you had to get a black pearl for a guy whose wife had been lost to dementia.  That quest - which probably took about 20 minutes - has more emotional impact and better writing than any moment in Fallout 4.

Bethesda built a fantastic game world, put a whole load of effort into it, and then added some great things around the edges to give a wide (but not particularly deep) game.  They then spent very little time comparatively in filling out what happened in the World beyond "go here, kill this, get reward".  It's a shame, because they're definitely capable of something great.  It's clear ProjektRed put a lot of effort into crafting the entire experience.  They put time into voice acting, they put time into the story, and they put time into making sure that every quest had its own little quirks.  I never really thought at any time like I was just performing filler quests.  Everything seemed like it mattered.  It's a truly wonderful game.

Think I got to the first big monster, and it repeatedly battered through me every single time.

Is that the one at the end of the Oxenfurt sewer quest? It was hellishly difficult. Took me quite a few attempts to get past.

Which leads me on to a point about Heart of Stone I'd forgotten to mention.  By the time you complete the main game, the standard monsters are far too easy to kill.  HoS seems to get around that by making all the bad guys much, much stronger.  I was dying regularly when I started it, just from meeting the Fallen Knights and Drowners.

It would have been especially tough if I'd installed HoS before completing the main story and inadvertently wandered in to that part of the map.  I thought it seemed an overly simplistic way to increase the difficulty, but I can't think of any other way to have done it so it's a relatively minor quibble!

Is that the one at the end of the Oxenfurt sewer quest? It was hellishly difficult. Took me quite a few attempts to get past.

Which leads me on to a point about Heart of Stone I'd forgotten to mention.  By the time you complete the main game, the standard monsters are far too easy to kill.  HoS seems to get around that by making all the bad guys much, much stronger.  I was dying regularly when I started it, just from meeting the Fallen Knights and Drowners.

It would have been especially tough if I'd installed HoS before completing the main story and inadvertently wandered in to that part of the map.  I thought it seemed an overly simplistic way to increase the difficulty, but I can't think of any other way to have done it so it's a relatively minor quibble!

Yeah, got that too.  I chose the option to start with a level 30 character, thinking I'd be alright, but it was pretty difficult.

Those new arachnid things they introduced in HoS are a good addition. A challenge to actually kill them if there's more than one.

Also those having 'amphibian problems' near the start of the HoS, try not using your sword at all. I found it futile. Just casts signs, dodge, recharge etc.

I've been trying to get into this.

You know what's fucking shite?

I have a 50" telly and can't read the writing from the sofa. The font size is atrocious. It's really putting me off.

I've been trying to get into this.

You know what's fucking shite?

I have a 50" telly and can't read the writing from the sofa. The font size is atrocious. It's really putting me off.

they updated it with a patch so you can change it in options. Edited by killie_lad

they updated it with a patch so you can change it in options.

Thanks - will look into that.

I got so annoyed at not being able to follow what was going on that I started playing through the 2013 reboot of Tomb Raider. Which is absolutely excellent.

Edited by Gaz

Is it me or does anyone find this really quite dull. Also the combat is shit.

It looks pretty though.

Quite the opposite. I don't usually care about the story but I am intrigued by the entire world (main and side quests) in this game. I also like the dynamic of swords and signs. Started out by using Igni for the damage but I find Aard is more effective for most situations. It's similar to Dark Souls as well where you need to use timing and discipline. Sometimes you can only get two strikes in before the enemy fights back and takes out half your health. Edited by GingerSaint