The Witcher 3

spud131

Finished the main story last night, still got a few side quests / contracts / ? marks to do plus all the gwent stuff (and DLC!), something to come back to. Can't praise the story writing enough, got so invested in so many of the characters and there were enough twists in the last couple of missions to keep you guessing. Obviously the way the game looks is unparalleled as yet.

Probably the biggest flaw now that I've played it was the crafting, maybe it was just the way I played but I never ever came close to being overburdened, and once you'd done a few missions it was much easier just to sell all the swords and armour to the merchants in Novigrad and buy a new one off the shelf rather than finding a diagram, waiting til you were of a high enough level, getting the parts and then still paying to craft it.

Combat was good I thought, enjoyed checking what signs worked best against what monster. I was probably a little over-levelled by the end of the main quest and thought about putting the difficulty up but decided I was just enjoying the story-  although none of the boss battles at the end were particularly hard as a result. In fact, I think the quest I died on the most was the side quest with the contract on the penitent at the lighthouse.

Re the story -

I got what appears to be the happiest ending with Ciri becoming a witcher, Temeria being re-established after the war, and Carys ruling Skellige peacefully, with Geralt living happily ever after with Yen. 

Only thing was I expected the bloody baron to have some input at the end, he was last seen taking his wife to a healer and I thought something else would have come of that given how long a storyline it was.

Agree with the comments about Zoltan, fantastic side character with some cracking lines. Looking forward to the DLC.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the first DLC, would say again that the storyline and quest writing is fantastic, the wedding quest is brilliant entertainment and the heist quest takes bits of GTA V and puts them in a fantasy setting.

Only complaint about that element of the game (both main and DLC) having read up on it, is that the ending is determined by dialogue choices you make - in normally under 5 seconds with the timer bar running down, and it not being abundantly obvious what the outcome of your choice is most of the time.

Re: main quest

I was "lucky" I suppose to get the good (Ciri becomes a witcher) ending in that I had the snowball fight with Ciri and went to see Skjall's grave, which gave me 2 of the 4 positive choices.

I don't see why accompanying her to the Lodge, or having a drink with her and trying to tell her she doesn't have to be good at everything are inherently bad choices though, nor stopping her wrecking Avalllach's lab when you can see the power she had after the battle at KM.

The only one that stands out as obviously A Good Choice is going to Skjall's grave

re: HoS DLC

I assumed that regardless of what I did at the temple there'd be a boss fight with O'Dimm at the end so on my first playthrough I let him kill von Elerec only to discover that ends the game- I refused a pact based on what the blind professor said. Had to go back and reload and take on O'Dimm's riddle to get the "good" ending

Hopefully Blood and Wine is out in the next couple of months.

Edited by Fuctifano

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully Blood and Wine is out in the next couple of months.

I'm on the home straight with HoS.

I cannot WAIT for Blood & Wine.  Apparently, the new area, Toussaint, is as big as Novigrad and Velen combined and will have at least 20 hours of gameplay.

And it will be THIS beautiful:

944x531.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What a scandalously good game this is. My opinion of it just keeps going up. When I first bought it I got bored when I reached Skellige and traded it in. After a few months I started wanting to play it again. Now I'm scouring the map hunting down every last monster nest and piece of witcher equipment. Bought Hearts of Stone Thursday night, had it finished by 2 in the morning Saturday.

Geralt with short hair, trimmed beard and new moon armour. Wid.

Does this game ever finish??

No spoilers but I have thought about 3 or 4 times it was over only more missions to keep happening. Hardly touched anything else for months, definitely the best game I have ever played.

Also, Ciri  :wub:

Yeah, there's a point about two thirds of the way through where you're expecting the game to end - instead it effortlessly transitions into a far more main storyline-focused effort for another twenty hours or so.

That wee Elvish hoor :wub:

Does this game ever finish??

No spoilers but I have thought about 3 or 4 times it was over only more missions to keep happening. Hardly touched anything else for months, definitely the best game I have ever played.

Also, Ciri  :wub:

Like Niemi said, there is a point that I got to where I was disappointed it was coming to an end.  Finished that and then found there was a good few hours more left.  Have to say, I don't remember there being too much padding either, which is insane for an open world game these days.

Like Niemi said, there is a point that I got to where I was disappointed it was coming to an end.  Finished that and then found there was a good few hours more left.  Have to say, I don't remember there being too much padding either, which is insane for an open world game these days.

I felt the climax was a bit linear given the freedom you had earlier in the game, but the ending itself made up for that.  If they could just hurry up and release Blood and Wine that would great.

I know it's been out for around a year now, but I was just wondering whether it'd still be worth buying this. What's putting me off is that I've already got a big, time-consuming RPG in Fallout 4 which I've still to compete. Does the Witcher have enough about it (as in quality as opposed to quantity) that I won't just want to go back to playing Fallout or FIFA?

I know it's been out for around a year now, but I was just wondering whether it'd still be worth buying this. What's putting me off is that I've already got a big, time-consuming RPG in Fallout 4 which I've still to compete. Does the Witcher have enough about it (as in quality as opposed to quantity) that I won't just want to go back to playing Fallout or FIFA?

It's longer and more engaging than Fallout 4. And in mine and many others' opinions who've played both it's better, in a different league even. Never mind the fact it's a year old, it's still the best fantasy RPG out there. 

Get involved. 

It's longer and more engaging than Fallout 4. And in mine and many others' opinions who've played both it's better, in a different league even. Never mind the fact it's a year old, it's still the best fantasy RPG out there.

Get involved.

Decent pitch. I was stuck between this and Ratchet and Clank as I don't really have another game like the latter, but I really haven't seen anything that has knocked the Witcher enough to put me off buying it.

Different setting etc but The Witcher is in a whole different league than Fallout. Don't get me wrong Fallout was a great game but The Witchers different gravy. I'd go as far to say that it may even beat The Last Of Us as the best game I've ever played and after completing TLOU i said to myself that I don't think I'll ever play a better game. The amount of quests and stuff to do is actually surreal, the quests are very good too. I can't recommend this game enough.

Stop being a p***k and get the fucking game bought.  ;)