Post-Split Fixtures

I see Jackie McNamara has been talking about increasing the league to 16 or 18 teams again a subject discussed on here time and again I'm sure. It would only work if they had a group stage of the league cup to top up the home games before the season starts like icelands IMO. Never gonna happen though

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see Jackie McNamara has been talking about increasing the league to 16 or 18 teams again a subject discussed on here time and again I'm sure. It would only work if they had a group stage of the league cup to top up the home games before the season starts like icelands IMO. Never gonna happen though

Running scared of relegation next season IMO.

Was it not Motherwell's representative who noticed that a vote for Partick Thistle had been "accidentally" counted for Inverness during the first vote?

I'm not sure, but they released a statement before the second vote saying that they 'believed there should be relegation each and every season' before stating that they were voting for Inverness, despite being saved themselves only 12 months earlier.

You had 20 home games in 2011/12, so you could be even already. I didn't bother going back any further, so equally those 20 games might already be balancing out a previous 18 game season.

Next season, I fully expect us to have only 16 pre-split home games which leaves the option of 18 if needs be, to balance the 20 we've got this season.

Does the 16/17 pre-split thing not just alternate each season, with the promoted team taking over whatever the relegated team had. Don't think it'll be often, if indeed ever, that a team gets the same number of home fixtures pre-split in consecutive seasons?

I posted it the other day but this is the (now updated list) of uneven splits:

20/18 Splits

3 occasions:

• Aberdeen (05/06, 07/08, 09/10)

1 occasion:

• St Johnstone (01/02)
  • ICT (04/05)
  • Falkirk (06/07)
  • Killie (11/12)
  • Hibernian (13/14)
  • Dundee (14/15)

18/20 Splits

2 occasions:

• Aberdeen (04/05, 13/14)
  • Killie (06/07, 14/15)

1 occasion:

• Livingston (01/02)
  • ICT (05/06)
  • Gretna (07/08)
  • Motherwell (09/10)
  • St Johnstone (11/12)

You had 20 home games in 2011/12, so you could be even already. I didn't bother going back any further, so equally those 20 games might already be balancing out a previous 18 game season.

Next season, I fully expect us to have only 16 pre-split home games which leaves the option of 18 if needs be, to balance the 20 we've got this season.

The 20 we had in 2011/12 evened things up from about a decade earlier. Everyone in the bottom 6 was in the same boat though - except Motherwell who are actually owed 20 at some point.

Archived