Tactical Voting

Kyle

I really don't see tactical voting making any difference to the outcome, I generally don't believe there is enough people who will do it to make any real difference.

I'm looking forward to the tears from the SNPout zoomers

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't see tactical voting making any difference to the outcome, I generally don't believe there is enough people who will do it to make any real difference.

I'm looking forward to the tears from the SNPout zoomers

This is pretty much my train of thought as well. A few random fucknuggets vs the biggest surge in Scottish political history.

This may have an impact in a couple of seats, but we're really only talking a couple of seats: the likes of Glasgow North East (extreme example) where even a swing of over 25% to the SNP from Labour would still only see them winning narrowly means it wouldn't take many Lib Dem/Tory voters going Labour to push them over the line. In seats that are likely to be decided by just a few hundred votes when we look at the uniform swing tactical voting could keep the #SNPout, but it's likely to make a negligible difference.

Tactical voting has always existed and been a legitimate tactic. Eg in Perth & N. Perthshire we are saying, and have always said, it's between us and the Tories so lib, lab & green lend us your votes.

Where is a bit different this time is you have activists saying dont vote for us vote for someone else.

However, I don't see it having a significant outcome on the day and would guess in your average constituency the number of people voting this way would be in the low hundreds. Potential difference maker but likely not.

A large number of SNP MPs will be a sweet victory. Doing it despite the Tory press, the out-in-the-open bias of the broadcast media, the SNPouters and the bleating and blatant lies of the unionist parties will make it even sweeter.

Tactical voting has always existed and been a legitimate tactic. Eg in Perth & N. Perthshire we are saying, and have always said, it's between us and the Tories so lib, lab & green lend us your votes.

Where is a bit different this time is you have activists saying dont vote for us vote for someone else.

However, I don't see it having a significant outcome on the day and would guess in your average constituency the number of people voting this way would be in the low hundreds. Potential difference maker but likely not.

I'm voting tactically.

SNP in East Renfrewshire.

I'll be back to the Greens in any PR ballot.

Scotland as a whole has voted tactically for a long time. Voting Labour, in an attempt to keep the Tories out, for decades on end.

It didnae work. Won;t work this time either.

The current shared mental breakdown by Scottish Labour and the UK press is mainly down to the fact that they thought we voted for Labour cause we liked them.

CLEGG APPEALS TO LABOUR AND CONSERVATIVE SUPPORTERS TO VOTE LIB DEM TO BEAT THE SNP

In a visit to the Liberal Democrat/SNP battleground constituency of Gordon today, where the race is between Liberal Democrat candidate Christine Jardine and former SNP Leader Alex Salmond, Liberal Democrat Leader Nick Clegg will reach out to Labour and Conservative voters who do not want to be represented by an SNP MP.

Nick Clegg is expected to say:

“In 11 Scottish seats, you face a simple choice: do you want an SNP MP or a Liberal Democrat MP?

“In these seats the Liberal Democrat candidate is the only one that is in a position to beat the SNP.

“So if you are someone who is considering voting for the Conservative or Labour candidate, my message to you is this: lend us your vote and we can stop the SNP winning in your constituency.”

He will also criticise the SNP for risking the economy with excessive borrowing and wanting to break up the United Kingdom, saying:

“The SNP are not the party of Scotland, they are the party of debt. They want to borrow more and more money – an eye watering £180bn – and their plans for full fiscal autonomy will cost the people of Scotland £7.6bn.

“They will risk our economy and leave our children and grandchildren to pay for it for years to come.

“The Liberal Democrats are working for Scotland in a way that is responsible, fair and keeps the country on track.

“The SNP are shouting from the sidelines and are determined to keep a minority Labour Government on life support, limping from vote to vote towards the break-up of the UK.

“Do you really want a Government on life support, with Alex Salmond deciding whether it succeeds or dies?”

The 11 seats are:

Gordon

Fife North East

Orkney and Shetland

Inverness, Nairn, Badenoch and Strathspey

Edinburgh West

Ross, Skye and Lochaber

Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk

East Dunbartonshire

Argyll and Bute

West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine

Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross

Ends

:lol:

Beaker admits he's up against it in Inverness

I hope people aren't forgetting the 10% "shitebag" tax on the SNP vote in opinion polls.

These are the voters who voted Tory in the 1980s despite telling pollsters they were voting another way; or the folk claiming a "Yes" vote before the referendum, who actually voted no.

Polls consistently over-estimate the actual SNP / pro-indy vote and the actuality is a few points down. Thing is, it needs to be much more than a few points down for anyone else to have any chance whatever of resisting the coming "tsunami".

six months ago I thought the mid-teens in terms of seats would have been a good result for the SNP. Now, in terms of the expectation that has been built up, they need to hit the low-mid thirties. Anything below the 30 seat mark will be spun as a "humiliation" for the SNP by the media.

I am glad Salmond has quietened down a little in recent weeks. His "demands" and observations on being part of a future coalition a month or so ago risked appearing triumphalist, and taking voters for granted. Sturgeon has put in several commanding performances since, and clearly doesn't need his interventions at all.

That said, it will be astonishing if he fails to take Gordon against a genuinely atrocious Lib Dem candidate. Assuming that happens as comfortably as the poll suggests, his free role as "troll in chief" at WM will be very funny to watch.

Polls consistently over-estimate the actual SNP / pro-indy vote and the actuality is a few points down. Thing is, it needs to be much more than a few points down for anyone else to have any chance whatever of resisting the coming "tsunami".

As is repeatedly pointed out, this isn't actually true. The 2011 result was in line with that predicted by the polls: it was the analysis of those numbers that was at fault. For the indyref, the final Yes result was in line with the last month's polling: No polled several points higher in the end, but that all came from "undecideds" of the shitebag nature.

The quiet Tory phenomenon is largely an artefact of the polling of the time, which involved an awful lot more wee old ladies walking round streets with clipboards. Nobody clicks "SNP" in a YouGov poll out of fear.

As is repeatedly pointed out, this isn't actually true. The 2011 result was in line with that predicted by the polls: it was the analysis of those numbers that was at fault. For the indyref, the final Yes result was in line with the last month's polling: No polled several points higher in the end, but that all came from "undecideds" of the shitebag nature.

The quiet Tory phenomenon is largely an artefact of the polling of the time, which involved an awful lot more wee old ladies walking round streets with clipboards. Nobody clicks "SNP" in a YouGov poll out of fear.

Agree with this. The online polls will be naturally more accurate than either telephone or face-to-face by their very nature IMO.

Not to say the SNP wont drop below their 49% figure from last week, but I don't think it'll drop below the referendum watermark of 45%.

Sturgeon has put in several commanding performances since, and clearly doesn't need his interventions at all.

In terms of vox populi Nicola is the only game in town. She is without doubt playing a blinder.

She now needs to grow up and ditch the 'anyone but the Tories' bollocks.

In terms of vox populi Nicola is the only game in town. She is without doubt playing a blinder.

I'm not a big fan of that 'anyone but the Tories patter' either. That said, it's probably a vote winner with the masses.

I'm not a big fan of that 'anyone but the Tories patter' either. That said, it's probably a vote winner with the masses.

I don't think its 'patter', I think it's a reasoned, well considered opinion.

As to being a vote winner; yes, it definitely is. People in Scotland agree with not supporting the Tories. I am astounded that anyone is even mildly surprised by that.

I don't think its 'patter', I think it's a reasoned, well considered opinion.

As to being a vote winner; yes, it definitely is. People in Scotland agree with not supporting the Tories. I am astounded that anyone is even mildly surprised by that.

What would be wrong with talking to both Cameron and Miliband - after the result is declared - just to see what BOTH might be prepared to offer Scotland?

My 2 brothers are voting SNP much to my consternation basically because they think they are more left wing and anti Tory than labour. If the SNP were to cosy up to Cameron then it would be political suicide

What would be wrong with talking to both Cameron and Miliband - after the result is declared - just to see what BOTH might be prepared to offer Scotland?

Cameron, like all Tories, is a cúnt who will protect his own interests and those of his OB network - and will do so openly.

Miliband has to at least appear to care about the hoi polloi, and so could be shamed into conceding more. To do otherwise would be to reinforce the red tory tag his party have brought upon themselves, and lead to the death of the labour party nationwide, not just in Scotland.

Archived