Do you still regularly read a newspaper?

Scary Bear

Newspapers  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I used to buy a paper every day, but gave it up years ago. I subscribe to The Herald online, which you pay for, and now make a point of buying The National every day, even if I don't read it. It's only 50p and it's almost alone in punting a pro-independence agenda. I sometimes get the Sunday Herald as it also punts a pro-independence agenda.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thinking about it, I semi-regularly buy the Fife Free Press. It's a local paper but it's owned by Johnston Press. I feel bad about supporting Johnston Press but good about supporting the local paper. It's a dilemma. Either way, I'm not sure it sways me politically. That said, the Letters Page, usually has at least one perma-rager who is in a permanent state of seethe about either Alec Salmond, the SNP, or both. So it probably does harden my resolve, just because I know voting for the SNP will piss this person off.

No and I don't know anyone under 30 who does. They're a dying breed and I expect paid for daily newspapers will be all but dead within 20 years.

The technology fetishist will disagree but I think a newspaper as a format is still the best way to get the news. A quality newspaper with informative in depth articles by knowledgeable journalists trumps 90% of the news on the internet. The problem is so few people want to actually read informative in depth articles by knowledgeable journalists that that type of quality newspaper is now highly endangered.

The biggest problem with newspapers is the lack of a neutral tone. I used to read The Times and The Herald but even the so called quality papers have dumbed down and become politically partisan.

Really the decline of the newspaper isn't so much some inherent failing in the format, for me it simply reflects a general failing in society; poor literacy and attention span, disengagement with politics, interest in celebrity culture, news as entertainment etc...

The technology fetishist will disagree but I think a newspaper as a format is still the best way to get the news. A quality newspaper with informative in depth articles by knowledgeable journalists trumps 90% of the news on the internet. The problem is so few people want to actually read informative in depth articles by knowledgeable journalists that that type of quality newspaper is now highly endangered.

The biggest problem with newspapers is the lack of a neutral tone. I used to read The Times and The Herald but even the so called quality papers have dumbed down and become politically partisan.

Really the decline of the newspaper isn't so much some inherent failing in the format, for me it simply reflects a general failing in society; poor literacy and attention span, disengagement with politics, interest in celebrity culture, news as entertainment etc...

Personally, I don't have time to sit about reading newspapers. Newspapers get your hands dirty with ink. I don't want to carry about a newspaper. For me, those are formatting issues.

In terms of the general layout of papers, the format is fine.

I don't agree with your comment on people being disengaged with politics? I've never know Scotland to be so engaged with politics. The number of people who now start conversations/messages/texts about politics is new to me.

For me, people do read news online, but they read around subjects, as they know the news is often biased or poorly reported/analysed.

Maybe the younger generation are just a bit more streetwise than the older generation, so they don't want to read propaganda, and pay for the privilege. You note yourself, that even the so called quality papers have dumbed down and become politically partisan. Who wants to read that?

I read everything now on the net.

I have a subscription to the Herald, because their coverage for politics is still pretty good in comparison to a lot of others. I have been tempted to chuck the £3 a month at times as the (heavily Spiers influenced) football and that useless, unobjective bint for the entertainment reviews makes me feel like my money could be spend better.

The Guardian is IMO brilliant for football, although I do wonder if every journalist pre-requiste before being hired has to be highly unphotogenic in their tragic side-on poses.

I dabble in the independent and for local purposes, The Scotsman/Evening News.

I'm an old fecker (47) so still get one probably out of habit. Mainly for the football but also get a laugh at the Nat bashing in their 'news' section. Makes a change from their usual Diana still dead stories. You can guess the paper from that.

Obviously it doesn't influence my vote or I'd be voting UKIP.

I used to get the Record many years ago but gave up because of the Labour/OF bias. I reckon I'll be giving up buying my usual paper after I've savoured their post election coverage.

Online I read the Guardian/Independent/BBC/STV so probably too much left wing pish which balances the right wing pish from my paper.

I also read the wings over Scotland but take that with a massive pinch of salt as well. It's as biased the other way. Much like a lot of posters on here who can't have any crticism of the SNP.

Personally, I don't have time to sit about reading newspapers. Newspapers get your hands dirty with ink. I don't want to carry about a newspaper. For me, those are formatting issues.

In terms of the general layout of papers, the format is fine.

I don't agree with your comment on people being disengaged with politics? I've never know Scotland to be so engaged with politics. The number of people who now start conversations/messages/texts about politics is new to me.

For me, people do read news online, but they read around subjects, as they know the news is often biased or poorly reported/analysed.

Maybe the younger generation are just a bit more streetwise than the older generation, so they don't want to read propaganda, and pay for the privilege. You note yourself, that even the so called quality papers have dumbed down and become politically partisan. Who wants to read that?

A newspaper costs about £1, it's light, easy to carry around, easy to read and disposable. A good newspaper also has much more information in it than say BBC internet with it's one sentence paragraphs. Reading anything from screens is inferior to print and reading on anything smaller than a large laptop screen is a colossal pain in the arse that requires enlargement and scrolling. Smart phones and tablets will never be as convenient to read as a newspaper if someone wants to read more than the very bare bones of the story. If someone what to skim through the headlines that's something else of course.

When I was talking about political engagement I was talking more generally than in Scotland. I agree that Scotland in recent times has been more politically engaged but even so there are still many people, possibly even the majority, that have very little interest in it day to day and many peoples political opinions are not based on reading the facts, they are based on preconceived ideas or personal experiences.

As I said the lack of a neutral voice in newspapers is a big problem. I think that sort of authoritative voice that the newspapers adopt is very old fashioned and turns people off now. People are too sophisticated, too media savvy to really buy into it these days.

But as a format, as a physical thing, I stand by the newspaper as, theoretically at least, the best way to read the news. When I say that, I am in no way defending the immigrant bashing or endless articles on Kim Kardashian's buttock implants. Clearly, the content and approach of the newspapers has gone badly wrong.

A newspaper costs about £1, it's light, easy to carry around, easy to read and disposable. A good newspaper also has much more information in it than say BBC internet with it's one sentence paragraphs. Reading anything from screens is inferior to print and reading on anything smaller than a large laptop screen is a colossal pain in the arse that requires enlargement and scrolling. Smart phones and tablets will never be as convenient to read as a newspaper if someone wants to read more than the very bare bones of the story. If someone what to skim through the headlines that's something else of course.

When I was talking about political engagement I was talking more generally than in Scotland. I agree that Scotland in recent times has been more politically engaged but even so there are still many people, possibly even the majority, that have very little interest in it day to day and many peoples political opinions are not based on reading the facts, they are based on preconceived ideas or personal experiences.

As I said the lack of a neutral voice in newspapers is a big problem. I think that sort of authoritative voice that the newspapers adopt is very old fashioned and turns people off now. People are too sophisticated, too media savvy to really buy into it these days.

But as a format, as a physical thing, I stand by the newspaper as, theoretically at least, the best way to read the news. When I say that, I am in no way defending the immigrant bashing or endless articles on Kim Kardashian's buttock implants. Clearly, the content and approach of the newspapers has gone badly wrong.

You make some good points but I've always thought broadsheets aren't practical at all and are terrible to read. They should make them the same size as tabloids.

Archived