Do you still regularly read a newspaper?

Scary Bear

Newspapers  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With regard to politics, a lot of the links on here are to newspapers. That, got me wondering...

Do you regularly buy a newspaper?

Do you regularly read the newspapers online?

If so which newspapers?

If not, where do you get your news?

Do you feel that over time the news you receive has an effect on the political party you vote for?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No and I don't know anyone under 30 who does. They're a dying breed and I expect paid for daily newspapers will be all but dead within 20 years.

Just the Sunday Herald at the moment. Used to buy ST/Observer/Guardian. And years ago, the Daily Record as it was the only Scottish paper available in London.

You could get the The Scotsman and the Herald in London, but you had to go to one of the main railway stations.

I've never regularly bought a paper, though I did religiously read the Metro from when it was first introduced up here until it started tacking right and general falling to bits around ten years ago.

My old man still buys the Sun or the Record every single day (I've noticed no pattern as to which one) and believes every word written in it, as does one mate. Everyone else I know gets their news from social media.

I still browse the online editions from time to time, usually for football or politics coverage, though even hate-reading the columns isn't very much fun any more.

I read the ones which are free online.

Telegraph for the seethe, the Guardian (quite incredibly) are quite balanced and produce some really good articles from time to time, the independent can be quite interesting too.

I love reading the Daily Record when a positive story about the SNP comes out. You can almost taste their rage at having to publish it. :lol:

I read the i. It's cheap and I like doing the Sudoku.

They seem to be fairly balanced on politics, although their Russian proprietor likes to get his mug in the paper as often as possible.

Aye. Get it occasionally. Not bad, fairly balanced and kills a half hour on the train.

I enjoy btl on the hootsman for the lolz. I know they used to "employ" Dugdale (aka fifi la bonbon) but now it's full of genuine snpout loons who happily do it free and pretty much the only thing keeping them alive imo.

The Scotsman has gone from an exclusive building on North Bridge to a purpose built one in Holyrood to a broom cupboard in an office block. f**k knows who's bankrolling them but they have few staff left, sales of about 15k and that INCLUDES giveaways. Tick tock motherfuckers.

I used to read the daily record when i was working on my breaks, usually bought it for the crossword but always read over it

Since the referendum and seeing how bias newspapers are i don't trust anything i read anymore - i still check bbc for the basic news stories but like getting news on twitter etc. Love podcasts especially Russel Brands Trews.

The ‘news’ in general is for fucking clowns. People seem surprised when they discover that I don’t pay any attention to it. They ask me ‘where I get my news from’, as if it’s something everyone is supposed to do. They ask me idiotic things like ‘how will you know what’s going on?!’. I’m fine with not knowing what shit the media want me to know. Brainwashing bullshit designed to keep us serfs down and to know our place. Misery. Bleakness. Death. Know your place scum. Deification of ‘celebrities’ and wanking over the rich.

Why do I need to know any of the shit in the news? If there's truly anything really important, I'll hear about it. But there very rarely is.

f**k off.

The ‘news’ in general is for fucking clowns. People seem surprised when they discover that I don’t pay any attention to it. They ask me ‘where I get my news from’, as if it’s something everyone is supposed to do. They ask me idiotic things like ‘how will you know what’s going on?!’. I’m fine with not knowing what shit the media want me to know. Brainwashing bullshit designed to keep us serfs down and to know our place. Misery. Bleakness. Death. Know your place scum. Deification of ‘celebrities’ and wanking over the rich.

Why do I need to know any of the shit in the news? If there's truly anything really important, I'll hear about it. But there very rarely is.

f**k off.

^^^ Shite at pub quizzes.

I will be sad when newspapers stop being published, only because I’ll be romanticising a time when the press was informative, varied, non-judgemental and sober. Paying for the news was worth it.

But if I was to think of papers as they are now - trivia-obsessed, hectoring, monopolistic rags that place no value on good journalism - the end can’t come soon enough.

Aye. Get it occasionally. Not bad, fairly balanced and kills a half hour on the train.

I enjoy btl on the hootsman for the lolz. I know they used to "employ" Dugdale (aka fifi la bonbon) but now it's full of genuine snpout loons who happily do it free and pretty much the only thing keeping them alive imo.

The Scotsman has gone from an exclusive building on North Bridge to a purpose built one in Holyrood to a broom cupboard in an office block. f**k knows who's bankrolling them but they have few staff left, sales of about 15k and that INCLUDES giveaways. Tick tock motherfuckers.

Maybe they should change the name to The North Brit? That seems to be who they are aiming the content at. The current name is far to Nat. It's just confusing.

I buy one most weekdays - preferably the Herald, the Scotsman or the Independent if I can't get that. It's more for something to do while I'm having my lunch than a desire to read the news though. I don't bother with newspapers' websites because of the sheer volume of adverts, but if I see a story somewhere else I'll maybe look it up somewhere. I watch/listen to at least one news bulletin in the evening, so I still keep reasonably up to date.

Stopped reading newspapers years ago, don't read them online either unless it's in a link, even then I sometimes read the source URL first...especially if it's the Daily Record.

edit: Wait, I do buy newspapers to line the cat litter try. Whatever one is the cheapest normally

Stopped reading newspapers years ago, don't read them online either unless it's in a link, even then I sometimes read the source URL first...especially if it's the Daily Record.

edit: Wait, I do buy newspapers to line the cat litter try. Whatever one is the cheapest normally

If you live near the train station just go down and grab half a dozen Metros, that's you sorted for the next couple of weeks.

Archived