The Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2015

At least folk can shut the fvck up about Barry Ferguson. A completely made up rumour with no apparent substance that's annoyingly been doing the rounds for months....

Obviously he'll be favourite again once EWB has a 'mare, starts "borrowing" from the players without their consent and spends all the clubs money on random jollies to Barca.

In the meantime I'll probably back him seeing as he's been given the job and see what happens. Mental as it seems, he probably deserves a chance now.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm underwhelmed by the appointment, but at least it's something different. We could see McBride wasn't here to play as it was said he was signed when he was still injured, so no surprise he's been given a role in this new team.

Expect to go full time next season with a core of young players and a few experienced pros.

I'm happy enough with the appointment, it's not as if any of the other names that had been mentioned were really exciting prospects. I'm glad we've not gone for one of the generic lower-league merry-go-round dinosaurs that we might have had. A lot of people have obviously got it in for him, for reasons best known to themselves.

Also, happy enough with the longish contract. There's far, far too much short-term thinking in Scottish football. If we want to get back to the level that we were accustomed to prior to the implosion of the original Airdrieonians, we need to take the time to get things right and let them grow.

He's an A licence coach studying for further qualifcations.

He has an open door at Barcelona, where he is very well known at the club. He's there for extended periods in every calendar year.

He turned Glasgow City into sustained champions for a very long period in the women's game.

At the very least, he deserves a chance. Peope have been slagging Bobo for playing eye bleeding anti-football. Eddie will have you playing good, attacking, entertaining football in the proper way.

I am a bit puzzled why some people seem desperate for him to fail at your club before his appointment has even been confirmed.

Correct he should be given a chance. The most undermined manager in the history of Montrose FC- who had to contend with megalomaniac Kenny Black

Hi, Pride of the Clyde here,

Without delving unnecessarily into his personal life, why does your new manager have two surnames?

Best of luck to him and by extension the club as I feel Scottish football benefits from a strong Airdrie side.

Tidings,

PotC.

Why do you feel the need to introduce yourself? Your name is at the top of your post already.

Anyone who thinks this is a good appointment must be fuckin bonkers he's never a manager in a million years, I wasn't a great lover of Bollan but the way he's been treated is shocking .

Who said Airdrie fans are Rangers supporters without the bus fare?

No, TW hasn't spent hundreds of thousands of pounds to buy the club. I don't know the exact figure that he paid but I have it on good authority that it was not a huge sum. Remember the club only cost around £200k to set up and has no major assets except the league place and potential support. Remember too, that he only bought a controlling interest, the Ballantynes are still there. TW does not own the club outright....

However I do agree with your main point. of course he is entitled to seek to fulfill his vision for the club. Time will tell whether he's got this one right. Personally I'm a bit underwhelmed.

Totally agree with the above post I think you'll find the figure he paid is about a tenth of the figure quoted,

Anyone who thinks this is a good appointment must be fuckin bonkers he's never a manager in a million years, I wasn't a great lover of Bollan but the way he's been treated is shocking .

I expect you have been a manager as you speak with such authority??????????????????????????

Roxburgh commanded respect? Maybe I slept through that bit. Roxburgh had a playing career but was lambasted for being Jack steedman's son in law and nepotismed. The Portugese taxi driver episode was the final straw. Rodgers had a playing career too but proved himself through academy first (at chelsea?) and worked his way up successfully. Mourinho too had an injury shortened playing career at a low level but worked his way up through the coaching ranks at Barca before proving himself at lower level before his glory years.

EWB's path has been slightly less prolific than the 3 mentioned. Indeed, it looks like a "pals" thing more than anything.

Okay, so maybe the whole "commanded respect" was a bit OTT but my point was around the fact that you don't have to have played at the top level to be a top level coach. It's down to the professionalism of the players as to whether they accept his instructions.

Apart from recent press on Glasgow ladies, I've never really heard of the guy, so I've no axe to grind one way or the other.

Enjoyed my trip to your ground earlier this season (although my pie was burned to a crisp and I missed Sanny's goal in the first 2 mins while I got a replacement)

Good luck for the rest of the season. (Any players likely to follow GB to Forfar?)

Think I am going to sit on the fence on this one, I am not going to get excited over the appointment, neither am I going to get despondent. I have heard it all before when the old numpty gets booted and the new saviour (later deemed to be another numpty) comes in. I think with everything that has gone on so far this season it can be written off, we had zero chance of promotion before Bollans departure and that will not change much now. I agree with the comments made by Tulloch Goram that we need to have a plan that is based over more than one season and get away from the past practise of short term loan deals which sees the team dismantled at the end of every season leaving whoever is in charge the task of completely assembling a new team at short notice and with limited resources as the start of a new season.

It may take a little longer, but onwards and upwards (hopefully).

I get apprehensive when I see talk of 'playing football the right way' and phrases like that in opening statements from managers. Firstly, possession based football is not necessarily more entertaining or successful, secondly at this level it's a recipe for disaster unless you have very good players, which we don't. Stenhousemuir under Booth are probably the best, or worst, example of this. Boring to watch and utterly ineffective, all because they were trying to play the 'right way'.

It makes more sense if we are going full-time as he'll have more time to work with them, and although 2 and a half years seems excessive it is necessary if you want to promote youth players. Like I said many times with Bollan, if your manager has a short contract why would he risk putting young players into the team when he isn't going to be around to see the benefit? You have to show faith in the manager and assure him he will be given time to develop them, which they seem to be doing.

I think the board are geniunely doing what they think is the only way to grow us as a club, so I'd commend them for that. However I do worry they are being pretty naive on a number of levels and am a bit worried with this appointment. Will obviously still support the guy though.

Great point about playing football "the right way". Almost nothing gets my goat about football more than that phrase. There is no "right way" to play football. I couldn't give a flying f**k how Dunfermline played if we won every week. As you say, passing, possession-based football can in fact be utterly tedious and a stupid tactic to use when you have shite players like Airdrie undoubtedly do.

2 1/2 year deal is nothing short of madness and I would be very surprised if this doesn't end in disaster like Booth at Stenny. Although, the league is fucking dreadful again this year so a play-off spot might not be beyond him.

Archived