Westworld

AsimButtHitsASix

• 2 months later...

Finally finished this. It calls to mind a quote from Noel Furlong -

"But I liked The English Patient. Very confusing and far-fetched and very, very boring. It was my kind of film".

I didn't really like Westworld.

Just discovered Christopher Nolan's brother was involved. It fits the Nolan pattern of me finding it turgid, oblique and pretentious but most people I generally agree with on TV and film thinking it was great.

Edited by The OP

Just discovered Christopher Nolan's brother was involved. It fits the Nolan pattern of me finding it turgid, oblique and pretentious but most people I generally agree with on TV and film thinking it was great.

I enjoyed it but I can understand and acknowledge most of the criticisms of it were fair. I watched it at the same time as The Young Pope and it's probably telling that the only one I've watched back is The Young Pope. But that might be because I'm a filthy Papist.

21 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I enjoyed it but I can understand and acknowledge most of the criticisms of it were fair. I watched it at the same time as The Young Pope and it's probably telling that the only one I've watched back is The Young Pope. But that might be because I'm a filthy Papist.

It's a close one as to which of those shows is the most plausible tbh.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Took about 5 episodes too long to get there, dying a death in the middle of the season, but a crackin final episode.

Hope they wraps things up tightly in the second season rather than go for a six-season cash cow.

• 3 weeks later...
I've just blitzed this again over the last 4 days - outstanding.
In a show full of great performances, Thandie Newton and Anthony Hopkins were imperious.

Ed Harris is outstanding too.

Stick with it.  One of the best things I've ever watched.

^^^This.

Epic.

He is aye, as is the lassie that plays Dolores.
I just thought that Newton and Hopkins were that wee bit extra special.
I think Westworld's my show of 2017, and I'm saying that as a complete GoT fanboy.

Evan Rachel Wood. And yes, she’s very good if a little lacking in character. However the lack of character is effectively part of her character because of what she is..... Or something like that!

Big expectations for season 2. Has anyone ever seen the old Westworld film on which this show is based? Still never got round to it, but a guy at my work says it’s worth a watch.

Has anyone ever seen the old Westworld film on which this show is based? Still never got round to it, but a guy at my work says it’s worth a watch.

Yes. It's quite different from the TV show. More like the first Terminator film, in that the majority of the plot centres around a single-minded robot intent on killing. Not that that's a bad thing.

The first half an hour or so is abysmal, some of the cheesiest and most irritating dialogue I've ever sat through. After that though, it gets very good with an excellent intense performance from Yul Bryner. So give it a watch and stick with it.