Johnnies v Terrors - Sat 9 May 2015

The St Johnstone fans appear to becoming increasingly angry at their predicament. Third rate strikers deciding that Ross County are a bigger team and by all accounts that Turkish team have already forgotten who they are.

To be fair, I'd forgotten the name of that Turkish team 2 minutes after reading it.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They've forgotten about us so much a thread about us on their forum is one of the longest running and largest on that entire site and is updated weekly....

They've forgotten about us so much a thread about us on their forum is one of the longest running and largest on that entire site and is updated weekly....

I'd rather they gave us a striker.

They don't have any either, apparently. We'll be signing someone from the English non-league in a few weeks anyway, so that'll solves our problems.

They don't have any either, apparently. We'll be signing someone from the English non-league in a few weeks anyway, so that'll solves our problems.

Right you're going on ignore. I'm fed up of your shite.

There I said it.

Thought that was one of our better performances of the season. Up to Utd's goal saints had played some good stuff and created plenty, our finishing was obviously woeful. The bobbly pitch plays a part, but for every chance to be blazed over the bar is poor.

As mentioned previously, how often did we get in a position to cross or put a ball across the goal only for there to be no one there? Maclean just doesn't bust a gut to attack the penalty box and get on the end of things; and going into next season it makes the decision to mess Brian Graham about by constantly dropping him and not sorting something out with him earlier all the more bizarre. I hope I'm proved wrong and we make a couple of inspired signings, but a player who is purely and simply a goalscorer and hungry for goals is the only thing yesterday's Saints team were missing.

Haven't seen it back, but it looked like Scobbie was fouled as he went for a header just before Utd's goal. And, again, flagging offside for someone who has ran from left back is up there with the worst decisions you can hope to see. Utd look much more solid defending set pieces than previous games.

Can't complain about the performance overall though, thought Saints were very positive the whole match.

Make yourself useful and put some stats together.

I'll steal some from a genuine Saints statto who knows whats what...

@St_Johnstone_FC on 53 points with 2 games to play have matched last seasons total and just 3 points behind 2012'13. 3 ahead of 2011'12

Brian Doyle @briandoyle77 · Apr 12

Further to earlier re top flight positions. The 4 year period ending 2014'15 will mark Saints best ever/most consistent period in top flight

Thought United were very poor yesterday.

I feel like I've read this exact comment in just about every match thread of ours over the past few months. Sometimes with the word 'surprised' thrown in. If St Johnstone can manage even a point from their remaining fixtures they're still in with a good chance as it wouldn't surprise me at all if we lost our 2 games.

I wonder what that fat lump Steve Evans made of that yesterday as he more than filled his seat in the Main stand.

evans_zpsv872sjve.jpg

The only player I can guess he would be there to see would be the one the Saints guests from the Edinburgh Turkish Consulate were talking to after the game.

Haven't seen it back, but it looked like Scobbie was fouled as he went for a header just before Utd's goal. And, again, flagging offside for someone who has ran from left back is up there with the worst decisions you can hope to see. Utd look much more solid defending set pieces than previous games.

Can't complain about the performance overall though, thought Saints were very positive the whole match.

Scobbie went up for the header, Ciftci didn't and instead turned his back and backed into Scobbie who was in the air, knocking him away from the ball and causing him to flick it out the park instead of heading it away. Looked a clear foul and right under the linesman's nose. Ciftci's "I'm innocent honest guv" hand raise said it all

From me it's neither here nor there whether there is any foul by Ciftci but when United take the quick throw, Scobbie is still looking at and shouting towards the referee. His first instinct surely has to be to get back in position - having come forward to challenge Ciftci - and not arguing the toss with Clancy. We end up Swanson out there defending against Dillon and Erskine. When the ball comes in, does Mackay have to be getting closer to Muirhead? The ball in means he's always going to have the jump on Anderson and would have liked to see Mackay trying to put him off a bit. When the ball hits the woodwork, Wotherspoon is sleeping (he is at least a couple of yards ahead of Rankin when the cross comes in) and not sure why Anderson doesn't go for it with his head rather than the boot. Poor goal to lose.

From me it's neither here nor there whether there is any foul by Ciftci but when United take the quick throw, Scobbie is still looking at and shouting towards the referee. His first instinct surely has to be to get back in position - having come forward to challenge Ciftci - and not arguing the toss with Clancy. We end up Swanson out there defending against Dillon and Erskine. When the ball comes in, does Mackay have to be getting closer to Muirhead? The ball in means he's always going to have the jump on Anderson and would have liked to see Mackay trying to put him off a bit. When the ball hits the woodwork, Wotherspoon is sleeping (he is at least a couple of yards ahead of Rankin when the cross comes in) and not sure why Anderson doesn't go for it with his head rather than the boot. Poor goal to lose.

Agree 100%. Scobbie at fault for the goal.

Does anyone have any idea what formation Dundee United actually used? It just seemed to be 4 defenders, 4, midfielders and 2 forwards thrown on the pitch and told to play. Their left side was absolutely gagging to be exploited.

We usually go 4231 but (because McNamara now sees Tommy Wright every time he goes to sleep) sacrificed one of the three behind the striker for another defensive midfielder. Same change as he made for the last Saints game at Tannadice and which failed so miserably that time. Noticeable that he only made the change for this game having gone with four attackers in the games against Celtic, Aberdeen and ICT in recent weeks. He's clearly got it in his head that we need to outfight Saints rather than attempt to outplay them and, as a result, we generally do neither.

For the record, Nadir was notionally on the left and Erskine on the right but of course neither actually held their positions.

Tommy Wright > Ratnamara.

However I recall watching United a couple of seasons ago destroying teams and scoring so many goals. Genuinely thought they looked, in spells, and at times, like the 80's were back! What's happened? Jackie?

Five outstanding players clicked for about seven games in a row.

From the 3-0 over St Mirren to the 1-4 defeat to them on Boxing Day was such a brilliant period.

Of course then, McNamara didn't stop the rot after that for about the same amount of games. His inability to organise a defence came into fruition here.

Five outstanding players clicked for about seven games in a row.

From the 3-0 over St Mirren to the 1-4 defeat to them on Boxing Day was such a brilliant period.

Of course then, McNamara didn't stop the rot after that for about the same amount of games. His inability to organise a defence came into fruition here.

Great to watch around that time. Then and up til then United usually beat us comfortably and were always a threat.

Archived