£250 and a washing machine for my maw

I haven't seen this piece about The Slim One before but it is worth an hour of anyone's time. Some great clips which includes the likes of Ralph Brand and Davie Wilson. Oh and Scotland's best-ever winger - Willie Henderson.

Raith fans should also feel free to comment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYOkNLyOzns

Nice one, Kincardine - my mate is Ralph Brand's laddie, so I'll send him that link, if you dinnae, mind?

Oh please do. Scottish football was just glorious in the early 60s and Ralph Brand is too-seldom mentioned. We auld c***s remember him and his prowess. Send him my best regards.

I haven't seen this piece about The Slim One before but it is worth an hour of anyone's time. Some great clips which includes the likes of Ralph Brand and Davie Wilson. Oh and Scotland's best-ever winger - Willie Henderson.

Raith fans should also feel free to comment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYOkNLyOzns

Scotland's best ever winger. Away man.... Toss a coin between Jimmy Johnstone and Gregg Wylde.

Before my time but didn't Jock Stein prefer Willie Henderson to Jimmy Johnstone when picking the Scotland team?

...and he knew a thing or two about good players.

Before my time but didn't Jock Stein prefer Willie Henderson to Jimmy Johnstone when picking the Scotland team?...and he knew a thing or two about good players.

That was quite funny Bennett.

Your constant refusal to let a chance go by, does make me chuckle.

That was quite funny Bennett. Your constant refusal to let a chance go by, does make me chuckle.

You ruined the moment for cnuty No8 to come in with the punchline on his favourite subject.

That was quite funny Bennett. Your constant refusal to let a chance go by, does make me chuckle.

You don't think that Henderson was better than JJ then?

Let's just say I knew what you were up to there.

Aye the before my time bit covers me incase i'm wrong and Jinky was better than Henderson i suppose.

Forumming 101....

Before my time but didn't Jock Stein prefer Willie Henderson to Jimmy Johnstone when picking the Scotland team?

...and he knew a thing or two about good players.

The only tme Stein could have chosen between Johnstone and Henderson woudl have been in 1965 when he took over the Scotland team for 7 matches. At that time Johnstone wasn't getting a game for Celtic, Stein even left him out of the 1965 Cup Final, and Henderson was at the peak of his powers. FWIW I thinkJonstone became a better player than Henderson was, and so does Willie.

The only tme Stein could have chosen between Johnstone and Henderson woudl have been in 1965 when he took over the Scotland team for 7 matches. At that time Johnstone wasn't getting a game for Celtic, Stein even left him out of the 1965 Cup Final, and Henderson was at the peak of his powers. FWIW I thinkJonstone became a better player than Henderson was, and so does Willie.

I remember them both, and would have had Johnstone in my team before Wee Willie. But it would have been fairly close, and Johnstone edges it probably because he was part of the virtually unstoppable Celtic nine in a row side, whereas Henderson was perhaps past his peak by the late 60s, while Jinky had been revitalised by Jock Stein.

Cheers for posting, same to JGs.

Cheers for posting, same to JGs.

Good posts from both JG and Lippy, as usual. In Chez Kinky, though, the 'best winger' debate was never 'Henderson vs Johnstone', of course but much more nuanced and based on your generation.

So:

My grandad: Alan Morton was the prince of wingers.

My dad: Away tae f**k. He couldn't lace The Deedle's boots.

Me: Henderson laid on some goal today.

I am happy to come from an inclusive family who can agree that any one of three Rangers wingers was Scotland's best.

Next up? Scotland's best ever centre half?

Good posts from both JG and Lippy, of course. In Chez Kinky, though, the 'best winger' debate was never 'Henderson vs Johnstone', of course but much more nuanced and based on your generation.

So:

My grandad: Alan Morton was the prince of wingers.

My dad: Away tae f**k. He couldn't lace The Deedle's boots.

Me: Henderson laid on some goal today.

I am happy to come from an inclusive family who can agree that any one of three Rangers wingers was Scotland's best.

You've done that one before! :lol:

If I may, as a Hearts fan, comment?

Nice one, Kincardine - my mate is Ralph Brand's laddie, so I'll send him that link, if you dinnae, mind?

PA, I stole this one shamelessly from FollowFollow but it's a nice gobbit:

When Neymar tucked away Barcelona's first goal tonight (v Bayern Munich), it meant that the wonderful Threesome of Messi, Saurez and Neymar, had between them, taken their goal tally for the season to 113 goals,thereby finally surpassing our very own trio of Jimmy Millar, Ralph Brand and Davy Wilson who scored an incredible 112 Goals, between them, in a single season back in 1962-63.

Jimmy Millar scored 43 Goals in 50 Games. This included hat tricks in all four competitions.

Ralph Brand scored 37 Goals in 52 Games. which included scoring in all 7 Scottish Cup ties

Davy Wilson scored 32 Goals in 50 Games.

Messi has 53 Goals

Neymar has 37 Goals

Saurez has 24 Goals

Obviously different times and different folk but these things are always enjoyable. Plus Suarez has to score 6 goals to keep pace with the other 5 ;)

Archived