EU Referendum

Show on Ch 5 last night, following family of Roma with eleven kids as they move from Romania to Britain to live off our benefits. Aw, cute eh. I only managed 20 minutes as my blood pressure couldn't take the full hour. Is this what my grandad fought in both world wars for? The old boy died in 1986 and voted Labour all his life but I think his generation and their sacrifice have been betrayed. The welfare state he fought for should be for British people in need (Scots/Welsh/English..) not these parasites. No doubt most here think otherwise. Tragic.

Grandad didn't fight for the welfare state, he fought for a country that was in a sorry state after the wall street crash with a private health care system that the working man couldn't readily afford. Pretty much the way the things will be when this parliament is over in 2020

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't want to hear his views on anything tbh. And I don't see why anyone else would either, given that it's blatant trolling. The reason they slinked off was because they don't know enough about the subject because they don't genuinely give a f**k about it.

They settled on the language of their overlords, as we did.

I'd be fascinated to hear you talk this through. In your reply make reference to James 6th's commissioning of the bible in English in 1611 - about a century before the act of union.

I'd be fascinated to hear you talk this through. In your reply make reference to James 6th's commissioning of the bible in English in 1611 - about a century before the act of union.

I was thinking more of the Saxon invasion. Although "English" comes from the Angles, it was really the Saxons settlers who conquered and changed the language.

• 1 month later...

The electoral commission has proposed additional wording at the end of the question to prevent any perceived bias.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34114303

Sky News have cited the Indepence Referedum as an example of the 'yes' side being able to run a more positive campaign in these situations.

Does anyone think changing the question will have a significant impact on the result? I still think it'll be a fairly comfortable win for the 'stay in' camp.

The electoral commission has proposed additional wording at the end of the question to prevent any perceived bias.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34114303

Sky News have cited the Indepence Referedum as an example of the 'yes' side being able to run a more positive campaign in these situations.

Does anyone think changing the question will have a significant impact on the result? I still think it'll be a fairly comfortable win for the 'stay in' camp.

The last two referenda, on AV and independence, were won by the No campaigns. Both No campaigns had very negative messages that convinced the voters. The EU Out campaigners should favour the initial Yes/No question. Farage has got it wrong yet again.

The last two referenda, on AV and independence, were won by the No campaigns. Both No campaigns had very negative messages that convinced the voters. The EU Out campaigners should favour the initial Yes/No question. Farage has got it wrong yet again.

Dunno, ICM ran a study using Yes/No and Remain/Leave and found that Remain/Leave gave the out campaign a 5 point boost with respect to the other question type.

Dunno, ICM ran a study using Yes/No and Remain/Leave and found that Remain/Leave gave the out campaign a 5 point boost with respect to the other question type.

Interesting. I missed that poll but would prefer an In or Out question, e.g. should Britain be in or out of the European Union.

• 1 month later...

Looking like the pro EU campaign @Stronger_In is just a rerun of Better Together.

True, but I look forward to arbitrarily calling all the UKIPers who opposed Scottish independence "separatists" and constantly pointing out that their desired vote to leave is simply a vote for UKIP, and a Brexit the pipe dream of Nigel Farage.

Time for the "independence and sovereignty are crucial for the UK but must be denied the Jocks" to have their old tactics turned on them.

Don't forget that Nigel Farage want's to turn Old Blighty into a one party Nazi/Stalinist(Delete as appropriate)-esque state.

Facebook and Twitter are going to be fun over the next couple of years

Too wee, too poor, too stupid...

Archived