EU Referendum

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This in/out referendum is about the most stupid notion ever from a British PM (and my God have their been some bad ones). Absolutely no one has any appetite for it aside from a sprinkling of crusty xenophobes

This was knee-jerk politics at its worst from DC and has consigned us to a 2-year debate that no one with half a brain wants to have and where the outcome is known already.

The best thing is for him to show some cajones and say he has changed his mind.

This in/out referendum is about the most stupid notion ever from a British PM (and my God have their been some bad ones). Absolutely no one has any appetite for it aside from a sprinkling of crusty xenophobes

This was knee-jerk politics at its worst from DC and has consigned us to a 2-year debate that no one with half a brain wants to have.

and that would mean another general election

It will be a sad and worrying day if a vote to leave the EU is cast.

The future needs to be about closeness and unity amongst countries/people's or the same old historical problems will eventually raise their head as they have again and again

That's another way for saying we need consolidated power at the top. That historically only benefits the oligarchic elements of our society. It ridiculous to make out that Europe would descend into a hellhole of fascistic style nationalism if the EU didn't exist. The biggest problems I have with the EU is that it's highly inflexible and has a one size fits all approach. When the reality is there is too many regional and cultural differences for it to ever work. These anti-EU parties should't be dismissed as just some "far-right" elements, but reactionary to what has been going on over the last few decades.

Not a chance it will. Seems like Cameron wants us to stay and he wants the decision made quickly.

Be interesting to see if Ministers are allowed to vote and campaign freely, no doubt some of them want to leave.

Yeah that's my thinking too, but there's many who seem to think that the Tory government offering a referendum is the same as them supporting one. The issue of Ministers having free reign will be interesting.

This was knee-jerk politics at its worst from DC and has consigned us to a 2-year debate that no one with half a brain wants to have and where the outcome is known already.

Aye because every time a PM changes a manifesto pledge it results in a GE. I hope for an outbreak of common sense.

That "sprinkling of crusty xenophobes" includes a sizeable section of the parliamentary Tory party who absolutely will not stand for Dave reneging on his promise to hold a referendum.

Aye because every time a PM changes a manifesto pledge it results in a GE. I hope for an outbreak of common sense.

We're no talking about any auld pledge here.

It's the EU referendum and if Cameron wants the support of his backbenchers then he better support a referendum.

I too hope for an outbreak of common sense.

That's another way for saying we need consolidated power at the top. That historically only benefits the oligarchic elements of our society. It ridiculous to make out that Europe would descend into a hellhole of fascistic style nationalism if the EU didn't exist. The biggest problems I have with the EU is that it's highly inflexible and has a one size fits all approach. When the reality is there is too many regional and cultural differences for it to ever work. These anti-EU parties should't be dismissed as just some "far-right" elements, but reactionary to what has been going on over the last few decades.

The historical roots of the European Union lie in the Second World War. Europeans are determined to prevent such killing and destruction ever happening again. Soon after the war, Europe is split into East and West as the 40-year-long Cold War begins. West European nations create the Council of Europe in 1949. It is a first step towards cooperation between them, but six countries want to go further.

9 May 1950 — French Foreign Minister Robert Schuman presents a plan for deeper cooperation. Later, every 9 May is celebrated as 'Europe Day'.

18 April 1951

Based on the Schuman plan, six countries sign a treaty to run their heavy industries – coal and steel – under a common management. In this way, none can on its own make the weapons of war to turn against the other, as in the past. The six are Germany, France, Italy, the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/8112935e-e2ca-11e4-bf4b-00144feab7de.html#axzz3a2jmGIPa

Leaving the EU has more support than the Tories do. Turning around now and refusing a referendum would be absolute suicide for Cameron.

Old news. The Brexit has as much credence as Stuart McCall and Pep Guardiola doing a job-swap.

Part of me is wondering if Cameron thought that he'd be, at best, in another coalition with the Lib Dems and as such could have used them as a lever for dropping it.

Regardless, its going to be a bit weird for those of us who see ourselves as fairly progressive and left wing having to cosy up to the financial service industry and big businesses. Those guys are going to need to be our best friends for us to ensure that we stay in.

We're no talking about any auld pledge here.

It's the EU referendum and if Cameron wants the support of his backbenchers then he better support a referendum.

I too hope for an outbreak of common sense.

I see your point, of course and he may face a 'confidence motion' but he'd get much more kudos for saying, "Aye I was shiting myself that time and said something I didn't mean'.

Funnily enough.....I'd wager most folk on here wanting to see the referendum followed through want to stay in.

I see your point, of course and he may face a 'confidence motion' but he'd get much more kudos for saying, "Aye I was shiting myself that time and said something I didn't mean'.

Funnily enough.....I'd wager most folk on here wanting to see the referendum followed through want to stay in.

Kudos from whom?

As I've already said he needs tae keep his backbenchers sweet and getting kudos frae others isnae gonna keep them in line.

You are probably correct in that last sentence.

Archived