EU Referendum

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not that I particularly want to see it. It's more the claim that going back on it would be "the best thing for him (Cameron)" that I'm disagreeing with. Starting to think I've been whooshed here because it so obviously isn't.

What I actually said was, "The best thing is for him to show some cajones and say he has changed his mind"

I was thinking more about what's best for the country rather than for Cameron personally. This EU in/out shite is a distraction that no one needs.

What I actually said was, "The best thing is for him to show some cajones and say he has changed his mind"

I was thinking more about what's best for the country rather than for Cameron personally. This EU in/out shite is a distraction that no one needs.

No one needs it but a lot of people want it. That's politics.

Are you seriously suggesting that Scotland can run itself, but the UK can't ?

I've no idea what you're on about.

The historical roots of the European Union lie in the Second World War. Europeans are determined to prevent such killing and destruction ever happening again. Soon after the war, Europe is split into East and West as the 40-year-long Cold War begins. West European nations create the Council of Europe in 1949. It is a first step towards cooperation between them, but six countries want to go further.

9 May 1950 — French Foreign Minister Robert Schuman presents a plan for deeper cooperation. Later, every 9 May is celebrated as 'Europe Day'.

18 April 1951

Based on the Schuman plan, six countries sign a treaty to run their heavy industries – coal and steel – under a common management. In this way, none can on its own make the weapons of war to turn against the other, as in the past. The six are Germany, France, Italy, the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg

If you're going to use the WW2 argument as justification for the EU's existence. You have to understand that back then using the military or funding proxy groups to do your dirty work abroad was widely considered an acceptable means for achieving national goals. Sadly, Britain and America still think this is an acceptable way to behave. At the same time, they're propping up bad governments that happen to have favourable policies towards them via "foreign aid". There is a reason why foreign aid is usually falls under military spending. Despite all we hear on 24 hour news, the world is becoming a safer place. It's just that conflicts round the world are better covered than the used to be. You aren't going to see armies mobilizing in Europe again, because it's much harder for a war mongering politician to convince you to fight someone in a neighboring country. Especially when there is likely many people you know and relate to. Societal attitudes and level of education are what lead to certain leaders getting into power. If people think children should be beaten for their insolence, then don't be surprised when you get a knuckle dragging authoritarian in power.

This EU in/out shite is a distraction that no one needs.

No one needs it but a lot of people want it.

This, though, is bollocks. Pretty-much everyone on the board is in favour of Britain's continuing membership of The EU. This is true of Britain as a whole.

I am going round in circles here but there has to be a way for DC to call a halt to the whole in/out farago.

This, though, is bollocks. Pretty-much everyone on the board is in favour of Britain's continuing membership of The EU. This is true of Britain as a whole.

I am going round in circles here but there has to be a way for DC to call a halt to the whole in/out farago.

You live in cloud cuckoo land, pretty much everyone is fed up of EU meddling, interference, lack of democracy, unelected bureaucrats meddling in our lives. The UK can't even deport terrorists because of their so called human rights. Old soldiers who fought for the UK tears ago must be turning in their graves.

You live in cloud cuckoo land, pretty much everyone is fed up of EU meddling, interference, lack of democracy, unelected bureaucrats meddling in our lives. The UK can't even deport terrorists because of their so called human rights. Old soldiers who fought for the UK tears ago must be turning in their graves.

1. Virtually no one is concerned over "EU meddling" beyond the racist fucknuts in UKIP, Sun Readers and thick-as-f**k cabbies bemoaning the straightness of bananas.

2. Yes they can, as long as the correct procedures are followed.

3. No they aren't. They're dead, which makes your theory somewhat unlikely.

Did the Sun's letters page open a P&B account?

I don't think the vote is a cut and dried as some think - and I certainly don't think that it is as clear cut in Scotland. Certainly I think there is a generational difference with older folk tending to be more anti-EU than the younger generation (sound familiar?).

I suspect that what will determine the result will be the actual phrasing of the question - they'll make sure that it is positively framed - as the SNP did with the independence referendum.

1. Virtually no one is concerned over "EU meddling" beyond the racist fucknuts in UKIP, Sun Readers and thick-as-f**k cabbies bemoaning the straightness of bananas.

2. Yes they can, as long as the correct procedures are followed.

3. No they aren't. They're dead, which makes your theory somewhat unlikely.

Did the Sun's letters page open a P&B account?

Quote number 1 is the stupidest thing I have seen for years.

He's not a dictator though so that wouldn't be good politics. Breaking a key manifesto pledge as 'he changed his mind' after what 12 million people or something voted for him. Crazy.

If you're going to use the WW2 argument as justification for the EU's existence. You have to understand that back then using the military or funding proxy groups to do your dirty work abroad was widely considered an acceptable means for achieving national goals. Sadly, Britain and America still think this is an acceptable way to behave. At the same time, they're propping up bad governments that happen to have favourable policies towards them via "foreign aid". There is a reason why foreign aid is usually falls under military spending. Despite all we hear on 24 hour news, the world is becoming a safer place. It's just that conflicts round the world are better covered than the used to be. You aren't going to see armies mobilizing in Europe again, because it's much harder for a war mongering politician to convince you to fight someone in a neighboring country. Especially when there is likely many people you know and relate to. Societal attitudes and level of education are what lead to certain leaders getting into power. If people think children should be beaten for their insolence, then don't be surprised when you get a knuckle dragging authoritarian in power.

That's actually related to something called Democratic Peace Theory. Basically that not two democracies have ever gone to war with each other. Its true, there are some arguable cases but that's basically a fact.

Archived