Queen's Park -vs- Stenhousemuir - That's a Spicy Meatball!

We would have had no chance of these play offs without McMullan he is probably the most exciting player I have ever seen playing for the club. Would be amazed if he is not on loan at Championship level next season not sure what Celtic get out of it him playing at this level again.

As for the game pretty evenly matched and similar to the East Fife game in that we started slow and got better as the game went on. Feel we could have finished the job though our final ball on the break was dire.

Summers and McMullan the two best players on the park and Woods looked decent for them but no one else really stood out.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stupid free kick to give away for goal, and almost the same when post hit from another unnecessary foul.

Stenny number 9 terrible diver. Did quinno actually touch him when he collapsed to the floor with his head in his hands?

Extra time on Saturday i think.

Enjoyed that. Thought it was an entertaining game and one that Stenhousemuir probably deserved to win.

Queen's Park started the match very well and played with tempo. They kept Stenny in their own half and looked decent on the flanks. I'm not sure about playing Shaun Rooney on the right wing instead of at right-back as I think he's better when he's got space to gallop into, and Ciaran Summers shackled him well, but Paul Woods looked very handy on the left and coming infield. The Warriors came into the game and had four very good chances to score. Shouts to Wullie Muir for some of his goalkeeping, he made two outstanding blocks to paw away goal-bound headers.

Stenhousemuir were the better team throughout the second half and after they took the lead through Jamie McCormack, I never felt like they'd lose the lead. It was a very poor goal to lose - Paul McMullan's free-kick was a beauty but McCormack was allowed to run at it impeded. They had chances to increase their lead - Ross McMillan's header whacked off the post and Muir did well to come off his line and gather before Kris Faulds could get a toe on the ball.

Shouts to Paul McMullan, Bryan Hodge and Ciaran Summers, I thought they all had great games. Everyone else worked hard. I didn't think too much of the subs - Marenghi has talent but there's a lazy streak in him, while Faulds and Fotheringham aren't good enough.

I didn't think too much of Queen's Park to be honest. Woods, as expected, was very good and looked like he'd do something whenever he got the ball, but that was about it. No-one could get close to McMullan and they whole team looked visibly panicked whenever he got a run on them.

I fancied Stenhousemuir before tonight's match and I think they'll win again at the weekend. They look fitter and little more intelligent than QP. Fair play to Bomber Ferguson for getting something out of this group.

Aye they were heidin' bricks for a laugh they twa.

Forgot about Hodgey as well actually what a shift he put in. Going to be a massive miss to us next season top player when fit.

QP controlled the majority of the match but Stenny created the best chances. Apart from Carter sidefooting it straight at the keeper from 6 yards I can't think of another clear-cut chance we created. Another 45 corners this match and nothing but a couple of headers over the bar. If only we had a player available who was known for delivering an excellent set piece...

The wee number 7 for Stenny looks like an excellent wee player, but not sure if that was only because we gave him acres of space to run the length of the park a few times.

Thought the ref was pretty good to be honest, after the last few games I've been to and the refereeing performance has been the biggest talking point between both sets of fans this was a welcome change. Only complaint is that the free kick for the goal was moved toward about 5 yards which the ref never noticed, but that's getting a bit petty.

I think we'll pump them on Saturday.

Agree with pretty much everything thats been said so far. Stenny looked much better than their league position would suggest, and am guessing that last night's performance was better than their fans have been used to this season? Queen's were far better than against Arbroath, but were up against a much more solid defence than we're used to playing against. Tie's not over yet, but if QP are to have any chance then we'll need to score first and hope that Stenny get the jitters. Happy that we played well, but accept that the better side fully deserved their lead and must now be huge favourites to stay up.

McMullan was probably the difference between the teams; excellent for the full game, delivering a quite superb free kick that led to the goal. Did Fraser slip or was he pushed as he went for the ball?

I'd agree with Fabregas' comment that Rooney is much better at full back, and I'd be tempted to put him in at right back for Saturday as his driving runs were one of our most potent weapons before he got injured. That would be bad for young Gav who has been terrific, but I agree that we do need to try something different.

Fair play to Gus for throwing men up as we chased the game. It gave us a few hairy moments at the back but, again, the defence shone.

Stenie? - McMullan apart, not much to get excited about. They looked sheepish at first, and like us when we were in their situation a few years ago, lacking in confidence. They came back into it and, sadly, all the timewasting nonsense started very early on. The ref should have got on top of that - here's a tip from my wee book of refereeing....if a sub isn't ready to come on, you don't hold the game up for him. Very possibly, his team is timewasting. Here to help!

I still fancy us to come through on Saturday. Still buzzin'!

Aye McMullen was a cut above but I thought the game was of poor quality other than him or the odd flash from Woods. I've seen Queens Park play far better than that against us. Too many aimless long balls. Him at the back with the beard barely seemed to be looking where her was punting it. It was all the stranger when they seemed to be playing one up top.

I thought Queens were going to get something from one of the cluster of corners midway through the second half as the Stenny keeper looked panicked.

Stenny looked very dangerous from set pieces and were unlucky to only hit the post, or get another from one of the breakaways towards the end.

Why was 'beast' seemingly word of the day? A playoff final and the atmosphere was a bit like an early season game with someone trying to amuse themselves and those around them with peado and beast shouts every few seconds.

Story of our season really. Good periods of control and inventive midfielding but lacking the punch up front. Carter's a great worker and hunter but when shadowed by two gorillas like last night doesn't have the body weight. I agree 99% with Dave's excellent synopsis, exception being the crosses. There was plenty of good efforts last night. Problem is we don't have a strong attacker of the ball. At corners It's nearly always Wharton or Rooney who win a header but even then the ratio is small. Where's Ally Graham these days...

The evening was all the more frustrating as Stenny were nothing remarkable at all but had a more direct approach to goal. I think a mention is due for the outstanding free-kick effort (McMullan?) just before half-time matched by an equally oustanding save by Muir. Would have been a talking point in the other big game last night in Madrid. ;)

First time in yonks I remember us shooting west in the first half.Tactics by the Stenny mastermind?

Also, interesting footnote in the wee programme from Gus. Hopes he'll see us all back next season when there will be new faces. #QPgossipfrenzy

Why was 'beast' seemingly word of the day? A playoff final and the atmosphere was a bit like an early season game with someone trying to amuse themselves and those around them with peado and beast shouts every few seconds.

Alan Lithgow? Don’t actually think it was that bad, he got far worse down at Ayr last season in the Scottish Cup tie

Fair point about the atmosphere. Usual suspects did their bit but the majority of both sets of fans seemed a bit subdued. Maybe they were still on a comedown from the euphoria of last Saturday’s dramatic wins. It will be 100 times better tomorrow, always is at away games.

As for the game, it’s pretty much all been said. They had McMullan and we didn’t . We had plenty of the ball but didn’t do enough around their box although Fleming had to be alert to keep out efforts from Carter and Burns second half. Tomorrow is all about who gets the first goal for me. We’re not good at coming from behind but we also haven’t squandered many leads this season (last Wednesday aside)

Usual suspects did their bit :king

Tomorrow is all about who gets the first goal for me. We’re not good at coming from behind but we also haven’t squandered many leads this season (last Wednesday aside)

Critical! We haven't scored more than two since early Feb and two months prior before that. If Stenny go first and then sit in like Tuesday it's going to be tense. Very tense. Better book an appointment with my manicurist for Monday. :babe2

We're playing to stay up rather than getting promoted probably why it's not the same buzz for us.

I remember when we drew at Hampden in our promotion play off it was pretty much non stop singing.

Due to change of dates I will not be able to attend (originally scheduled for 17th) but would just like to wish the whole team all the best in today's game.

I have followed Q.P. for more than half a century and have seen all the ups and downs but every player in the current squad knows that if they play to their ability and work together as a team and play the ball on the deck we can win this.

They will be nervous today and we must take advantage of that - right from the start lets get in amongst them and totally boss this game - don't let em settle - 100% please. C'mon the Queen's.

Hoping for a Queens win here as well. Nothing against Stenhousemuir at all (I really like Ochilview and love the wee pub right by the corner of the away end), but fancy a wee change and a trip to Hampden. Also Stenhousemuir must be sick of our late winners against them.

Archived