Scottish Labour- seethe, backstabbing and blame

I think the time has come to end it.

Then start campaigning within your union to end it.

FWIW I think it's quite legitimate for the trade union movement to seek to have political influence to gutter the cause of their members.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well given that the entire purpose of the Labour party is to give trades unions representation in government, if the unions were to disaffiliate then Labour is effectively finished, barring a constitution change, in the same way that the SNP - barring a constitution change - are finished once Scotland gains her independence.

Then start campaigning within your union to end it.FWIW I think it's quite legitimate for the trade union movement to seek to have political influence to gutter the cause of their members.

1.I do.

2. I agree. Just not exclusively to the Labour party.

1.I do.

2. I agree. Just not exclusively to the Labour party.

1. I do.

2. I dinnae.

It's no the business for a Trade Union tae support ony political party.

It's the members who should decide whit party they want tae support and vote accordingly.

If the trade union movement don't have any political influence to protect workers rights they are wasting their time.

That wis okay 100 years ago and mibbe 50 years ago but whit influence will the TU have oan this parliament?

I wis 40 years in a TU and in that time I voted SNP but the c**ts paid money tae the Labour Party.

I had tae fight tae get my contributions tae the LP stopped.

Trade Unions should have no favourites among political parties.

Let's face it it didnae matter whether it wis a Tory or a Labour government the working man still got screwed.

That wis okay 100 years ago and mibbe 50 years ago but whit influence will the TU have oan this parliament?

I wis 40 years in a TU and in that time I voted SNP but the c**ts paid money tae the Labour Party.

I had tae fight tae get my contributions tae the LP stopped.

Trade Unions should have no favourites among political parties.

Let's face it it didnae matter whether it wis a Tory or a Labour government the working man still got screwed.

When you say you 'had to fight' do you mean that you simply had to request to stop paying the political levy? It's not exactly unarmed combat.

When you say you 'had to fight' do you mean that you simply had to request to stop paying the political levy? It's not exactly unarmed combat.

Do you say the same when someone says they 'fought' in the election?

For the record I asked the union branch secretary to stop paying my contribution tae the LP.

He tried constantly tae persuade me tae keep paying the levy.

I cannae remember how long he hummed and hawed (days, mibbe weeks) before giving me a form tae fill in.

At the next branch meeting he made sure that the members knew that I had stopped my contributions.

Do you say the same when someone says they 'fought' in the election?

For the record I asked the union branch secretary to stop paying my contribution tae the LP.

He tried constantly tae persuade me tae keep paying the surcharge.

I cannae remember how long he hummed and hawed (days, mibbe weeks) before giving me a form tae fill in.

At the next branch meeting he made sure that the members knew that I had stopped my contributions.

Your being disingenuous here, you implied you had a battle which you obviously didn't. You should have reported your branch secretary for his actions.

Your being disingenuous here, you implied you had a battle which you obviously didn't. You should have reported your branch secretary for his actions.

This was the 1960's.

I very much doubt that the Unions then are the same now.

Your being disingenuous here, you implied you had a battle which you obviously didn't

That's a bit strong.

Whit would ye call a battle of wills ?

Every time we met he used tae say, "Changed your mind yet?"

And I wid say, "Naw".

I think I had tae go tae a branch meeting tae get a form.

Then I had tae go tae the next meeting tae hand it in.

Whereupon he told the branch of my actions.

This was the 1960's.

I very much doubt that the Unions then are the same now.

Your being disingenuous here, you implied you had a battle which you obviously didn't

That's a bit strong.

Whit would ye call a battle of wills ?

Every time we met he used tae say, "Changed your mind yet?"

And I wid say, "Naw".

I think I had tae go tae a branch meeting tae get a form.

Then I had tae go tae the next meeting tae hand it in.

Whereupon he told the branch of my actions.

I had no idea that you could opt out of the political levy in the 60s.

My union made it so fucking hard to withdraw from the political levy. I asked again and again for the form. I got fucked off asking and when a glossy A4 booklet came through the door prior to the referendum demanding I vote no and how the Labour party were great, I resigned.

I wasn't alone either.

I had no idea that you could opt out of the political levy in the 60s.

I've been trying tae find on google when the opt out started but I've had nae luck.

I did find this

Callaghan's 5% incomes policy ceiling of 1977-8 (leading to 'the Winter of Discontent').

This from a Labour government.

I remember watching on tv an outside broadcast from Downing Street where the cabinet was deciding the pay rise for the country..

Callaghan came out and faced the cameras.

"Five percent for everybody", he said.

Some guy in the crowd shouted, "I'll have 5 percent of your wages then".

Course that was the problem.

5% of a pittance is still a pittance.

If he had said £5 or £10 for all then that would have helped the lower paid.

A good example of a Labour government with the connivance of the Unions screwing the working man.

My union made it so fucking hard to withdraw from the political levy. I asked again and again for the form. I got fucked off asking and when a glossy A4 booklet came through the door prior to the referendum demanding I vote no and how the Labour party were great, I resigned.

I wasn't alone either.

I'm not sure how you pay (paid) you Union dues. All you would need to do was write recorded delivery to the head office, explain your request to opt out was being ignored and say you were withholding payment of dues until it was sorted out.

Archived