Escalator etiquette

Escalator etiquette  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends.

If it's an escalator in a shopping centre or train station, then let it take you up/down the stairs.

If it's a flat escalator in an airport then you continue to walk.

Anyone stopping at the top/bottom should actually be shot in the fucking face.

My mum used to tell me that if your shoe laces got caught in the escalator at the top then you'd get dragged under or your feet would get cut off.

It depends.

If it's an escalator in a shopping centre or train station, then let it take you up/down the stairs.

If it's a flat escalator in an airport then you continue to walk.

Buchanan Street Subway station has those travelators on the exit to Queen Street train station - people who stand still on those are the absolute dregs of society.

As for escalators, if you're not walking you stand to the right to let people with working legs go past.

If they have the wee brushes at the bottom I will stand still and have my shoes polished as the escalator/travelator moves along. Yes, I'm standing still but I am using the time constructively.

Thusly (though not with the terrible shoes sported by these people):

11.jpg

I wouldn't push past someone on an escalator, but I would walk up it so long as there was space ahead of me. I always think they're a fairly grim indictment tbh.

Agree wholeheartedly about the compulsory execution of those who stand still at the top of one - they should be herded into some ghettoized hellhole with people who faf about in the doorways of supermarkets...buggering about with a purse while not watching where they're pushing their trolleys (filled with e-numbers and full sugar soft drinks) with one hand fewer than the standard two. Genuinely, f**k those people.

And if you're reading this with an air of recognition, if you exhibit this behaviour and think I'm being OTT well know this...I wish you were dead.

If yer standing then stand on the right hand side. If yer walking then walk up the left hand side. Hardly rocket science

Why has "rocket science" become a cliché? There's millions of things I'm pretty incapable of, but rocket science always seems to be held as the standard.

Why has "rocket science" become a cliché? There's millions of things I'm pretty incapable of, but rocket science always seems to be held as the standard.

If yer standing then stand on the right hand side. If yer walking then walk up the left hand side. Hardly brain surgery

If they have the wee brushes at the bottom I will stand still and have my shoes polished as the escalator/travelator moves along. Yes, I'm standing still but I am using the time constructively.

Thusly (though not with the terrible shoes sported by these people):

11.jpg

I thought I was the only one who did this.

This is what must feel like when doves cry

I wouldn't push past someone on an escalator, but I would walk up it so long as there was space ahead of me. I always think they're a fairly grim indictment tbh.

Agree wholeheartedly about the compulsory execution of those who stand still at the top of one - they should be herded into some ghettoized hellhole with people who faf about in the doorways of supermarkets...buggering about with a purse while not watching where they're pushing their trolleys (filled with e-numbers and full sugar soft drinks) with one hand fewer than the standard two. Genuinely, f**k those people.

And if you're reading this with an air of recognition, if you exhibit this behaviour and think I'm being OTT well know this...I wish you were dead.

Add to that people who, upon coming through a door, see someone they know and actually stand in the fucking door, awkwardly holding it open, whilst they chat to their friend, even though anyone with even a modicum of intelligence would simply move to the side and not block the doorway. FUCKING IDIOTS! STUPID, MORONIC, BRAINDEAD c***s! WHY?!! FUCKING WHY?!! I SAW THIS YESTERDAY AND LOUDLY EXCLAIMED MORONS!!* FUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!

Then I ran away

I thought I was the only one who did this.

This is what must feel like when doves cry

My old man was in charge of maintaining (or at least phoning someone to tell them to fix them) the escalators in the Kingsgate. Made me a bit precious about folk fannying about on them.

London Underground has the right idea and has signs telling you that if you wish to stand you must keep left and allow those with a busier schedule to whizz past on the right.

If yer standing then stand on the right hand side. If yer walking then walk up the left hand side. Hardly brain surgery

I reckon brain surgery would be harder than rocket science for a start. Rocket science is ultimately just the learning and application of agreed truths of physics - bet you brain surgery would be dead fiddly...

8kEIq.gif

post-12228-0-45880300-1431699831.jpg

My old man was in charge of maintaining (or at least phoning someone to tell them to fix them) the escalators in the Kingsgate. Made me a bit precious about folk fannying about on them.

London Underground has the right idea and has signs telling you that if you wish to stand you must keep left and allow those with a busier schedule to whizz past on the right.

It was those very escalators where I started the practice (the ones leading down from the Pancake Place to where the extension was put in).

I think those signs you refer to in the London Underground should be used for not just all escalators, but all pavements everywhere ever.

Archived