Stenhousemuir FC - The League 2 Champions - The 2024/25 Thread

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

18 quid seems fairly reasonable to me these days. The running costs of a club at our level are eye watering. The floodlight bill throughout the winter compared to 2 or 3 seasons ago must be astronomical. 

We are charging similar this season - £18 admission, £230 early bird and £270 after the early bird offer finishes with your usual discounts for students and OAPs. 

Sadly the days of a large number of 'walk-ups' have now gone for most clubs but the most savvy of them now pitch the season tickets at a fairly attractive level, with the benefit of the money coming in immediately and no matter if someone takes a couple of dives during the season due to the weather, etc.,

Someone somewhere will have crunched the comparative costs of attending football, cinema, gigs, garden centres or whatever, but at our level I think it's about right.

Had my first visit to Ochilview on Saturday as my son was playing in a youth tournament.

Really liked the location, close to shops and pubs. As for the ground - it’s a mix of good and not so good, I’m sure you all know that though. Nice stand with really good views, nice and steep so you’re not looking at the back of someone’s head. In photos and highlights, the terracing behind the goals always reminded me of Gayfield but in real life it’s larger and is fully covered. I imagine you get a cracking atmosphere in there during a big game. Pitch also looked ok, my son said it was decent enough.

The rest is poor though - I get it that the capacity is more than enough so spending unnecessary money on facilities that aren’t needed just isn’t going to happen. Some kind of fan access or small terraced sections would be a big improvement though, even something as basic as Cove.

Don’t take any of that the wrong way though because the positives outweigh the negatives and I’m looking forward to taking in a league game there next season.

6 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

Had my first visit to Ochilview on Saturday as my son was playing in a youth tournament.

Really liked the location, close to shops and pubs. As for the ground - it’s a mix of good and not so good, I’m sure you all know that though. Nice stand with really good views, nice and steep so you’re not looking at the back of someone’s head. In photos and highlights, the terracing behind the goals always reminded me of Gayfield but in real life it’s larger and is fully covered. I imagine you get a cracking atmosphere in there during a big game. Pitch also looked ok, my son said it was decent enough.

The rest is poor though - I get it that the capacity is more than enough so spending unnecessary money on facilities that aren’t needed just isn’t going to happen. Some kind of fan access or small terraced sections would be a big improvement though, even something as basic as Cove.

Don’t take any of that the wrong way though because the positives outweigh the negatives and I’m looking forward to taking in a league game there next season.

Ochilview 'does the job'. As you say, there's no reason to make any real improvements. There's a flat standing area behind the goals at the astroturf end which has only been recently used as such.

The view from the back couple of rows of the stand is excellent and the terrace is probably only behind Ayr in terms of size/roof shape allowing for a larger away support to make a racket.

25 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Ochilview 'does the job'. As you say, there's no reason to make any real improvements. There's a flat standing area behind the goals at the astroturf end which has only been recently used as such.

The view from the back couple of rows of the stand is excellent and the terrace is probably only behind Ayr in terms of size/roof shape allowing for a larger away support to make a racket.

I think Queen of the South have the biggest remaining covered terrace in the League, which is not to say that the terrace at Ochilview isn't splendid. 

24 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I think Queen of the South have the biggest remaining covered terrace in the League, which is not to say that the terrace at Ochilview isn't splendid. 

We do, but it's the home end of course. I read it that they have the biggest terrace for away fans. 

I like Ochilview.  Objectively, I shouldn't, as its not great, but I've got a lot of good memories there.  One thing I do appreciate is that the stand has decent spacing, so your knees dont get ripped to shreds.  One of my friends was actually bleeding after the Killie game a couple years back due to the seats being so tightly packed.

Edited by ExiledLichtie

16 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I like Ochilview.  Objectively, I shouldn't, as its not great, but I've got a lot of good memories there.  One thing I do appreciate is that the stand has decent spacing, so your knees dont get ripped to shreds.  One of my friends was actually bleeding after the Killie game a couple years back due to the seats being so tightly packed.

..... so, you've been to Cappielow, aye?