Stenhousemuir FC - The League 2 Champions - The 2024/25 Thread

4 out of 4 confirmed. Chris Smith back between the sticks. Great bit of business.
Mark Ferry as well. Not sure where he fits in but another body I suppose.

Chris Smith is a quality signing, best keeper in the league by a mile. Wished we had kept him.

Mark Ferry :lol: :lol:

43 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Chris Smith is an excellent signing - after the disasters of Jamie Barclay and Colin McCabe, it was important Bomber brought in a solid goalkeeper to start the season with, and Smith is the ideal fit. We all know how good a goalie he is, we all know he's a big lump who can command his area, and we all know he can kick the ball for miles. He is an immediate upgrade on his predecessors.

Excellent signing for Stenny and I wish him well at the club. I was sad to see that he had been released and rate him highly, however I was surprised to read your comment with regards to kicking FF, during his 2 years at the club I would say that this was the area that let him down. Brown Ferguson looks to be building a good squad and as we saw in his time at the club, Smith will win points for you.

we all know he can kick the ball for miles.

Aye, into the back row of the stand. His distribution is terrible. Apart from that, you have got an excellent goalkeeper for this level. Possibly the best goalkeeper in the division.

1 hour ago, BB_Bino said:

Excellent signing for Stenny and I wish him well at the club. I was sad to see that he had been released and rate him highly, however I was surprised to read your comment with regards to kicking FF, during his 2 years at the club I would say that this was the area that let him down. Brown Ferguson looks to be building a good squad and as we saw in his time at the club, Smith will win points for you.

It wasn't the length of Chris' clearances that were a problem, just the direction and his composure when being closed down.

Mark Ferry was a disappointment with us, skilful player but so inconsistent, about one performance a month. Think his wife had a baby the year he left us and was out of the game for a year.

Good signing for the Warriors one of the best at this level, surprised he has not found a bigger club to sign for. Agree with previous posters in that his distribution was his weak spot.

Bomber needs to get him to work at this in training hopefully he will improve.

35 minutes ago, rhliston said:

Good signing for the Warriors one of the best at this level, surprised he has not found a bigger club to sign for. Agree with previous posters in that his distribution was his weak spot.

Bomber needs to get him to work at this in training hopefully he will improve.

At his age, I doubt there's likely to be any considerable improvement.

Fair play to the Stirling Albion fans in their assessment of him, I always thought he had a decent kick on him.

7 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Chris Smith is an excellent signing - after the disasters of Jamie Barclay and Colin McCabe, it was important Bomber brought in a solid goalkeeper to start the season with, and Smith is the ideal fit. We all know how good a goalie he is, we all know he's a big lump who can command his area, and we all know he can kick the ball for miles. He is an immediate upgrade on his predecessors.

As for Mark Ferry, I'm hoping the brers from Albion Rovers can fill us in but I don't remember him ever being particularly outstanding when we met them last year. He was fantastic at Queen's Park and at Raith Rovers, but that was some time ago. Nonetheless, I hope he's a big success and can help guide us to promotion.

@the_bully_wee

Talented player would certainly be worth the gamble at 19 and with full time training behind him he could play in the Championship I feel.

Strong left sided winger who mainly played in the right cutting in but could play either wing or just off the front. Works hard as well for the team and was playing left wing back in the last few games which epitomises his engine.

If we are being honest if he never joined us mid season we would have been nowhere near even taking relegation to the last game he was a match winner at times.

Best of luck to the lad.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Willy Furtado is one of four players St. Mirren have taken on for trials over pre-season.

Any information on him Stenny fans?

This is good to hear, I hope he impresses and signs on with St Mirren. Willis is a really exciting, technically gifted player. When he's got the ball at his feet, something is likely to happen and he's a very capable dribbler. He's a strong lad and won't get shoved off the ball all that easily. I reckon an upward-looking Championship team like St Mirren would be a good fit for him.

Conversely, he has the habit of completely disappearing out of games - there were a number of times last season when he would start a match strongly, looking incredible in the first 10 minutes or so, before dropping out onto the fringes. His performances over the last couple of games, however, were very good.

Just now, McG said:

Fair do's mate but if you had to pick 1?

It's a hard question. Paul McMullan is probably one of my all-time favourite Stenhousemuir players but Willis Furtado probably has the potential to go further with his career. There's a lot of similarities between the two - they're both wingers, they're both pretty fast, they're both technically excellent - but Furtado's superior physicality and finishing makes him the better player.

9 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

It's a hard question. Paul McMullan is probably one of my all-time favourite Stenhousemuir players but Willis Furtado probably has the potential to go further with his career. There's a lot of similarities between the two - they're both wingers, they're both pretty fast, they're both technically excellent - but Furtado's superior physicality and finishing makes him the better player.

Probably sums it up well - both on their game are well worth the admission money alone. Furtado has the better build and upper body strength that McMullan lacked. McMullan on a direct run would end up being fouled due to lack of strengh whereas Furtado could barrell his way through. Both on their game and in the same team would indeed be a tasty prospect.