Stenhousemuir FC - The League 2 Champions - The 2024/25 Thread

23 minutes ago, razamanaz said:

Where is it exactly?

Upstairs in the main stand, Mondays at 7pm. Usually weekly but due to Christmas and New Year it's not back until the 8th

16 minutes ago, Broxi Bears said:

Anyone know much about new signing Kyle Jacobs ? 

Primarily a defensive/ball winning midfielder. Seems to have covered right back for Edinburgh as well.

Realistically, as good a signing as you're going to make in January. Think he's comfortably a League 1 level player.

Kyle Jacobs seems a very decent piece of business to me. He ticks a lot of boxes - we've needed cover in the middle of the park since Danny Jardine left the club last month, and he'll give us a degree of assurance if Mikey Anderson or Nat Wedderburn are absent or if we need to shore things up for the final 20 minutes (I don't think the management team quite trust James Berry to step up at the moment). Jacobs obviously a player the manager likes working with - the pair were at Queen of the South together - and he brings a good pedigree, a solid range of passing, and a lot of know-how and experience. He'll will have to work hard if he wants to break up the Anderson-Wedderburn axis in midfield but that extra competition can only be a good thing.

This is a good signing and I'm looking forward to seeing him in action next month.

12 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Primarily a defensive/ball winning midfielder. Seems to have covered right back for Edinburgh as well.

Realistically, as good a signing as you're going to make in January. Think he's comfortably a League 1 level player.

cant add more to that. a league 1 player signed in what is always a hard window. nice piece of business

Seems a solid piece of business getting Jacobs in. He's been over the course, has quality for this level and been part of league winning teams in the past.

Having worked with Gary before I'm sure the gaffer will know he's a good character that will fit our dressing room. I think that's as important as the quality on the pitch as if you get one bad egg in January it could create a bit of chaos.

We've seen what a broken dressing room can do in the past when going for league titles but it certainly won't happen on Gary Naysmith's watch and with this group of lads.

We're going into 2024 top of the table, with an 11-point gap over Peterhead in second place, and we've won nine games in a row.

This truly is a once-in-a-lifetime run of results and will probably never be as good as this again. It's brilliant following this team right now.

What's the script here then? Naysmith was an incredibly likeable character but it just didn't work out for him here. We've been in freefall during and since his time of course. But with Dobbie and Dykes as his front 2 he really didn't do as well as we expected him too. Far too defensive. Is it a case of him working on it and righting his wrongs or is L2 possibly his level? 

Either way, it's good to see him doing well. 

He won't take the credit, as the type of guy he is, but the transformation of this team is majorly down to Gary Naysmith and his coaching team.

First of all he just comes across as a decent, normal bloke with no ego who players will run through brick walls for. The players clearly love him, the supporters the same and when you have that harmony at a football club you can then achieve special things. 

He knows what is required for this level and his signings pre-season reflected that. He addressed our weaknesses that were there for all to see in the previous two seasons. A quality goalkeeper, centre half and striker were in the door early in the summer and everything has been a springboard from there. Every player coming in has been better than the one that went out the door in the summer and the guys who are still here from the Swift era have all improved, been consistent and in some cases have improved so dramatically from the previous version that they look like they are playing a few levels below where they should be (Mikey Anderson).

We are certainly not a defensive team but we are built on solid foundations first and foremost. I always felt we were soft previously and would lose tight games or be 'old manned' a lot of the time by streetwise teams. We are now that streetwise team. It's perfectly balanced.

The best goalkeeper in the league behind a well-drilled defence, working in synergy. The robust duo of Wedderburn and Anderson in midfield doing the donkey work to allow our flair players to play and our flair players (Brown, O'Reilly, Taylor, Yates) have given us some unbelievable, big moments this season. Matty Aitken up top has been sensational, not just his goal tally, the work he does for the team is phenomenal he runs himself into the ground every week for the team, gives us a focal point to the attack we have not had previously.

It's difficult to say if this is his level. He knows this level like the back of his hand and what's required but I am sure if he does get to go back full time he can learn from his previous experience at Queens and kick on again. I would love him to get that move one day on the back of a league win for us.

17 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

We're going into 2024 top of the table, with an 11-point gap over Peterhead in second place, and we've won nine games in a row.

This truly is a once-in-a-lifetime run of results and will probably never be as good as this again. It's brilliant following this team right now.

Just watched Naysmith's interview. Our away record is played 9, won 7, drew 2 and conceded only 3 goals. That is exceptional. 

Fully agree with your comments, there hasn't been many great times to be a Stenny fan but now is definitely one. Long may it continue. 

43 minutes ago, Broxi Bears said:

Out of interest does anyone know how many wins and points Stirling won L2 with last season ? 

Stirling Albion won the division last season with 73 points (winning 21 matches, drawing 10 and losing five).

On 31/12/2023 at 18:18, Burnsythebinman said:

how long are you giving us to think about it?

I'm frankly amazed and equally sure he would come back to Forfar tomorrow and still be pish and fit in well.

I think this might have been brought up on our most recent matchday thread but it's probably more appropriate for discussion here: three players' agreements are up very shortly - Marley Sweenie-Rowe, Mark Ferrie and Zak McKay. Sweenie-Rowe and Ferrie are both on loan while McKay signed a short-term contract in October.

Both loan players should probably return to their parent clubs. Sweenie-Rowe hasn't impressed me at all and might benefit from a loan even further down the food chain a little closer to Dundee, while Ferrie has barely played and I can't imagine it's been a worthwhile experience for him or for Motherwell. Given Aitken's form at the moment, it's difficult for another striker to get into the starting XI, but even when he has featured, I haven't seen enough from him (he looked alright against Elgin City, right enough).

I reckon I've seen McKay for a total of 10 minutes across a handful of appearances but he seems like a decent, low-cost, low-maintenance squad player and is worth keeping on for those attributes alone.

Ferrie looks a no bad player, wouldn't mind if he stayed but there's little benefit to his loan just now. 

Sweenie-Rowe hasn't had an opportunity but hasn't done enough in training to get into the first 11. As you say, perhaps need a stint somewhere else to build-up his experience, size and minutes.

McKay, may as well keep him around and see what he can do. 

What's happened to Jordan Kirkpatrick? Have I missed something? 

9 wins on the bounce is absolutely mental. Must be a brilliant feeling!

By all accounts you lot seem to be an excellent side, who are also very capable of winning on the occasional day where the football isn't exactly flowing, which is the sign of a really special team. Enjoy.

Out of interest, does anyone know what the record consecutive number of wins is for League Two / Third Division?

Edited by AuAl