Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Big McShane was excellent with us. Big, strong, quick and an eye for goal but that was a long time ago. I was convinced he'd go on to have a very successful career in football, f**k knows what went wrong. Since he left us he doesn't appear to have done very well, perhaps he's just never settled at any of the clubs he's signed for.

He has the attributes to be effective if you use him correctly and I'd be delighted to see him get his career back on track. I was biggin' him up to all the Buddies in my work for ages and he let me down, they've never took my fitba chat seriously since. He needs to restore my football chat in work cred by scoring at least 20.

McShane didn't really do it for us, but he is just one of a million players who sign for East Fife with a decent pedigree and for some reason are pretty poor.

McAleer is another one for example, played well for Airdrie, came to us and did hee haw and now back at the league above us. Same could be said for Cook, Willis and McBride of late too.

We're now well set in the striker department. Presumably only 2 will play at a time but McMenamin, Smith and McShane certainly wouldn't look out of place in team in the promotion playoffs.

The big worry is the defence, particularly centre half. Another good centre half and we certainly won't look like relegation certs 'on paper'

We are one decent centre back away from a solid team but how we will get one now I'm not too sure. Hertz have nothing to offer us going on the game on Monday who are any better than what we have here.

We are pretty strong in midfield if Gilhaney lives up to his reputation and Robertson can get/remain fit (a small worry at this stage) in fact I'm not sure who misses out there as Stirling looks a class act, Millar can break up play like no one else and Cook gives us natural width on the left.

I wonder if we could end up playing the 5 of them (if fit) at tougher away games with Stirling playing off Auld Heid.

We certainly have options now in midfield and forward areas and cover for both full back positions with McCormack able to cover Meechan and and Murray/Cook to cover Summers so we just need that quality addition to central defence and we're good to go.

With our signings,youngsters coming through and a young positive manager we will be nowhere near relegation.

Struggling to see who will be, Rovers look weak as do Cowdenbeath atm but you'd expect them to strengthen. Your dealings have been impressive though and should stand you in good stead, I think a few teams will be worried about the relegation playoffs this year due to the tightness of the league.

Struggling to see who will be, Rovers look weak as do Cowdenbeath atm but you'd expect them to strengthen. Your dealings have been impressive though and should stand you in good stead, I think a few teams will be worried about the relegation playoffs this year due to the tightness of the league.

I think yourselves and Forfar will be right up there this season.Stranraer have a big rebuild from last season as do Cowden.Ayr clearly fancy it but i dont see any reason why we cant be in there looking at mid table/playoffs.Time will tell.

And we've signed Euan Murray who was on Motherwell's books. Centre half.

Was with Clyde for a brief spell last season. He was in and out the team and only featured 5 or 6 times. He played at the back in a couple of games but was up front for the remainder and scored 1 goal. Didn't see anything to suggest he would be decent for our level never mind league 1 but might be being a bit harsh on the boy seeing as he didn't feature too often for us.

Stenhousemuir have signed Liam Henderson from Heart of Midlothian on loan until the end of the season. He's a defender, which is an area we're lacking in.

At the back, we've got: Stuart Malcolm, Euan Murray, Ross Meechan, Ciaran Summers, Jamie McCormack and now Henderson signed up. Think that'll be us - six players, some of who can play in a couple of positions.

Hope this Henderson's alright. I'm very happy with how the squad's shaping up - especially in midfield - but I am a little worried about the defence.

That is our business done from what I heard on Sunday.

Interesting business. It's been a mixed bag in terms of transfer activity - the midfield has been superbly upgraded and looks far better compared to last year's options (I still can't believe we've got boys like Stephen Stirling and Mark Gilhaney in our ranks), while we've got three good forwards who each offer something a bit different - but I don't think we've necessarily improved our goalkeepers or our defence compared to last year.

Twelve months ago we had Chris Smith and Greg Fleming, and I reckon both are better 'keepers than Jamie Barclay. We had Ross McMillan, Stewart Greacen and Alan Lithgow to pick from at centre-back; now, we have a leggy Stuart Malcolm and some youngsters to go alongside him. Who knows, Murray and Henderson could prove to be excellent players (and I sincerely hope they are) but I'm just a little anxious about how the defensive unit copes.

The Stenhousemuir FC team for next season is:

Goalkeepers:

Jamie Barclay

Dean Shaw

Defenders:

Ciaran Summers

Ross Meechan

Liam Henderson (on loan from Heart of Midlothian)

Stuart Malcolm

Jamie "Jobber" McCormack

Euan Murray

Midfielders:

Kieran Millar

Stephen Stirling

Jon Robertson

Alan Cook

Anthony Marenghi

Mark Gilhaney

Strikers:

Colin McMenamin

Jon McShane

Allan Smith

That looks alright, eh.

The Stenhousemuir FC team for next season is:

Goalkeepers:

Jamie Barclay

Dean Shaw

Defenders:

Ciaran Summers

Ross Meechan

Liam Henderson (on loan from Heart of Midlothian)

Stuart Malcolm

Jamie "Jobber" McCormack

Euan Murray

Midfielders:

Kieran Millar

Stephen Stirling

Jon Robertson

Alan Cook

Anthony Marenghi

Mark Gilhaney

Strikers:

Colin McMenamin

Jon McShane

Allan Smith

That looks alright, eh.

Very decent midfield for this level but the squad looks really small. I take it your gaffer has gone for quality over quantity with the budget cuts? Any loans due to come in?

Reckon with a couple of injuries you could struggle.

Very decent midfield for this level but the squad looks really small. I take it your gaffer has gone for quality over quantity with the budget cuts? Any loans due to come in?

Reckon with a couple of injuries you could struggle.

I didn't realise how small it was - that's 17 players, we don't have enough to fill a bench! I can imagine it'll be young jobbers from the U-20s that'll make up the numbers.

Not sure if we'll bring in anyone else on loan - we've got an agreement in place with Hearts for the season but it only seems to have yielded young Liam Henderson. I wasn't there but our lads bodied their U-20s team on Monday last week and no-one really looked the part.

He wasn't though we held off for Fleming so there was no way he would stay here again to be second choice and on a fraction of the money most likely.

Kaiser probably had him tied up a fair while back anyway for the Binos.

Why did Smith leave at the start of the season if he was set to be number one?

Smith had won our Player of the Season award in 2014 and was well regarded by everyone at the club but he picked up a really bad injury over the summer. As he was cycling along the road, someone opened a car door right in front of him and sent him flying, and he picked up a nasty gash across his knee that took ages to heal. Jack Hamilton was brought into the club on a short-term basis but when he was recalled by Hearts, Greg Fleming signed up after Celtic Nation's demise. And Fleming was just so good that Smith could never displace him.

Smith had probably agreed terms with Stirling Albion around March or April. Fleming was offered a new contract but rejected it in favour of moving to Ayr United. So we've lost two really good goalies in the space of a couple of weeks.

EDITED TO ADD - Neilly's summed it up far more succinctly. Just bad luck on our part.

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

Earlier this evening, Stenhousemuir defeated East Stirlingshire to win the Stirlingshire Cup. The match finished 1-1 but the Warriors prevailed on penalties. I caught the start and the end of the match because I was playing sixes but from what I saw Stenny looked the better team (although speaking to other people, that might not have been the case).