Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

How has jim paterson been for you lot?

Big Jim was excellent for us. He hasn't played for a couple of months - he dropped out of the team to make way for Ciaran Summers - but he was one of our most consistent players and really helped out in a problem position. I haven't seen him around for a while now but I'd be happy if he was still around next season.

Obviously concern and with suspensions mounting up on an already small squad we are in a degree of trouble. I think we will ultimately have enough and stay up but if we go down I really wouldn't be that arsed. It's becoming pretty mind numbing finishing in the lower half of this league every year playing the same auld teams. Give me Berwick, Arbroath, Montrose, Annan away over anything in this league.

I don't think there is any pressure on the manager from the board or the fans. I think he's doing a decent job under difficult circumstances which are only going to get more trying as the budget is reduced again next year. He at least has a group of players who enjoy coming in to the club and he has created that atmosphere after the shambolic Booth era. We are not that bad a side we just can't afford to have even two players out or it really shows up how little strength in depth we have to be able to compete the way we can with a full compliment.

I hope Bomber is here for a wee while yet - relegated or not.

I can only really echo what Neilly says. Losing the last four matches on the bounce, conceding 16 goals along the way, is pretty worrying but the defeats were probably to be expected against the league's top four sides. We've got a run of games against the teams around us, starting with Forfar Athletic at the weekend, and if we don't win on Saturday then I'll be really worried. We have a small squad and we're going to be without Ross Meechan and Jamie McCormack against the Loons, two of our better players this season, and their replacements just aren't good enough (Stuart Malcolm, I'm looking in your direction). I'd love to work out how many goals we've lost this season through individual mistakes.

I don't want to get relegated, though. It hasn't happened since I've supported the team and I reckon it's the last thing the club need - our budget's going to be cut again next term and with East Stirlingshire looking for a new ground, finances will be tight and so dropping down a division with smaller-supported opposition won't do us any good.

As for the manager, I think he's doing a pretty good job, all things considered. He took on a bunch of jobbers and kept them in the division last season and he's got us in mid-table, probably where I would have expected us to be at the start of the campaign. It's been frustrating because at our best we can be a really handy team but, as mentioned above, we've got a small squad to pick from and we've been let down by the same players over and over again. Bomber deserves stick for keeping Jamie Barclay and Malcolm in the team for so long when it was obvious they were killing us every week, and the more recent decision to move Meechan into the middle of the park and bring Malcolm back into central defence was just absurd, but he's probably got more things right than he has wrong.

I think the general feeling amongst the support at the moment is one of frustration. The match on Saturday is massive.

Angus Beith from has signed on a 28-day emergency loan from Heart of Midlothian. He's a midfielder.

I don't know much about him but I seem to remember he was at Stirling Albion for a bit last season.

I didn't realise this until this morning, How did he play on Saturday?

I really like Beith, he was one of the few bright lights in a dreadful season last year and sadly he wasn't our player. I really hoped he would go on loan again and make an impact at a level higher than League 1 (from a Scotland perspective) however injury probably stopped that. Given his performances last season I think he is good enough to play for a Championship side, he's composed on the ball and assured. As the goals were rattling in against us last season Beith & Comrie started to drop back deeper and deeper and one thing was evident, his weakness was breaking up play however give him the ball and he'll dictate play and make things happen.

With being out injured for about a year, I'm not sure if Stenny will see the best of him, however if you can get him back for next season then you'll have a good addition to your squad.

Any concern about the relegation play-offs given your current form? Any pressure on the manager?

Target is/was 40 points and given it is only teams around them they have to play their fate is in their own hands. Winning against Forfar was big result Edited by mikedafc

• 1 month later...

Alright troops, I've updated the title of this thread and I reckon we should use it for the season going forward. This could be our "Walking Along Dunfermline" thread, but with the same three or four jobbers updating it from time to time.

Last night was our Player of the Year awards ceremony and it was an excellent event. It was no surprise to see Ross Meechan clean house and the defender collected every award going, other than Young Player of the Year (Liam McCroary) and the Fair Play Award (Carlos Mazana-Martinez).

From speaking to a couple of players at the event, everyone seemed pretty embarrassed by yesterday's match against Albion Rovers and there was a sense of relief more than anything else. Although 40 points was the target and the beginning of the season, the way the team reached their goal was a little concerning and vexatious in parts (it seems so long ago now, but we were also knocked out of the Scottish Cup by East Kilbride...) Everyone seemed to be focusing on 2016-17 and improving on this year's points tally.

I'm still happy to keep about 90 per cent of this season's team while adding a new goalkeeper, centre-back and striker (these problem areas were also highlighted by the manager, during a brief conversation). But you only have to look at this season's statistics to show that more might need to be done than just turing over personnel. Netting 46 goals is okay I suppose - give or take, it's the same total as everyone else from fourth to 10th - but conceding 80 times is unacceptable; that's more than two goals every match!

The team would either win by the odd goal or lose by a thrilling margin. It's easy enough to blame Jamie Barclay or Stuart Malcolm (and the pair were directly responsible for their fair share of goals this season) but it suggests there's something fundamentally wrong with the way the team is set up as a whole. The type of goals we lose on a consistent basis is just outrageous! I really like Bomber and Davie Irons but I don't think another season like this one will be tolerated - sorting out the backline, offering them more protection and cutting out the stupid, consistent mistakes is a priority.

As for next season, I only know that Ross Meechan and Kieran Millar are signed up. I imagine we'll find out who'll be moving on over the next week or so. This thread will be updated with every in and out at the glorious Stenhousemuir FC over the summer.

Agree with a lot of what you say but we need two centrebacks to cover for injury and suspensions. I do not know if we're putting too many players in the box to defend set pieces. With all 11 back for corners the box is full of bodies and this may be causing confusion as to who is doing what.

The number of goals we have conceded from cheap free kicks and unnecessary mistakes are another issue as well.

It will be interesting to see who is brought in. On paper Malcolm looked a good signing but from the opening game at Peterhead proved to be a disaster.

Definitely, the standard of defending has unarguably been the biggest issue for us this season and, dare I say it, the worst in the 11 years I've been watching the Warriors. I can't remember a Stenny side so eager to give the opposition the advantage - even Scott Booth's side defended with more poise than this team!

(Regarding the 11 men back in the box to defend set-pieces - John Coughlin used to do this and it seemed to do the trick. Not sure why it isn't working this time around.)

The management have known for a while that we've had major problems at the back and I would imagine plans have already been in place to bring in a goalkeeper and a couple of centre-backs. There was some talk last night that Colin McCabe might be sticking around for another season. I'm not sure what to make of him - I don't think he commands his area as well as he should, but he's only 18, he's built like the gable end of a house and he's capable of pulling off some great saves, so he might be worth taking a punt on for next season. 

It might be worth looking at who Airdrieonians release - I wouldn't mind seeing someone like Alan Lithgow returning (I thought he did us a good turn last season). They're certainly hard to come across, that's for sure. I think we'll be relying on the management team to get their pals in again.

From speaking to a couple of players at the event, everyone seemed pretty embarrassed by yesterday's match against Albion Rovers and there was a sense of relief more than anything else. Although 40 points was the target and the beginning of the season, the way the team reached their goal was a little concerning and vexatious in parts (it seems so long ago now, but we were also knocked out of the Scottish Cup by East Kilbride...) Everyone seemed to be focusing on 2016-17 and improving on this year's points tally.

I love reading your posts because I always learn a new word.

Kudos.

Bryan Prunty has agreed to sign for next season.

This wouldn't surprise me at all. He lives local (Cumbernauld) and is really good friends with Bomber. Wouldn't be too surprised to see him moving into a coaching role in time.