Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

56 minutes ago, Waspie said:

I rarely miss a chance to hear Bomber's thoughts on the beautiful game. He said in the Warriors TV interview after your last game that Gilhaney was still on holiday. 

Fair play, I wondered where he'd been. I don't know what Mark Gilhaney does outside of football but it's an incovenient period of the season to be missing out on.

16 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Fair play, I wondered where he'd been. I don't know what Mark Gilhaney does outside of football but it's an incovenient period of the season to be missing out on.

Indeed. In his Alloa days he seemed to miss 3 games out of 4, which was even more inconvenient. 

There were a couple who looked interesting last night, the full back on the right who switched to left mid in the second half and the number 20 who was busy and direct. Surprised we haven't taken the chance to get a good understanding in defence. I get that these games are a good chance to see other players in action but bearing in mind the defence last year I would like to see us start the season with a settled back 4 and a good understanding.

I'm sure Gils was a landscape gardner or something like that when he was with us. I know he's got young kids, so that might explain the inappropriate holiday time!

How was he with you lot last season? A lot of eyebrows were raised when Stevie Aitken withdrew his contract offer from us. He wasn't the greatest but he always put in a shift and was a pretty useful member of the team for our rise from League 1 diddies to Championship mid-table obscurity.

6 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I'm sure Gils was a landscape gardner or something like that when he was with us. I know he's got young kids, so that might explain the inappropriate holiday time!

How was he with you lot last season? A lot of eyebrows were raised when Stevie Aitken withdrew his contract offer from us. He wasn't the greatest but he always put in a shift and was a pretty useful member of the team for our rise from League 1 diddies to Championship mid-table obscurity.

Gils has been absolutely okay with us. He works hard and gets stuck in and he had his hand in a couple of goals last season. There's an element of our support who expected him to be a complete world beater, probably because he did well at Dumbarton in the Championship, and got on his back whenever they feel he's trangressed. I like him though, I think "useful" is probably the most appropriate word to describe him.

37 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Gils has been absolutely okay with us. He works hard and gets stuck in and he had his hand in a couple of goals last season. There's an element of our support who expected him to be a complete world beater, probably because he did well at Dumbarton in the Championship, and got on his back whenever they feel he's trangressed. I like him though, I think "useful" is probably the most appropriate word to describe him.

Aye that sounds exactly like he was with us. He's a grafter, but he's not the sort of winger to get fans off their seats and pull some outrageous skills. I reckon to fully appreciate him you'd need to be the full-back playing behind him to see the defensive work he does.

Funnily enough he was pretty divisive with our fans as well. The guy I sit next to couldn't stand him for his inability to whip in a decent cross most of the time, and refused to ever admit when he had a good game. Ironically when we replaced him with Willie Gibson - a more luxurious winger if you will - he couldn't stand him either for his lack of effort :lol: Here's hoping that Andy Stirling is more to his fancy, although I'd be surprised. He just seems to downright dislike wide players!

Yes, Martin Scott played as a trialist against St Mirren on Saturday, but I wouldn't have described as playing on the wing, he was more on the left-hand side of the midfield, if you see what I mean. He seemed a little of the pace and his touch seemed a little unsure at times but you could tell there was quality in there. He seemed especially good at driving play forward.

Strangely enough, I don't think missing out on him will be a massive loss to Stenhousemuir - central midfield is the only area of the pitch we're very well stocked in.

Yes, Martin Scott played as a trialist against St Mirren on Saturday, but I wouldn't have described as playing on the wing, he was more on the left-hand side of the midfield, if you see what I mean. He seemed a little of the pace and his touch seemed a little unsure at times but you could tell there was quality in there. He seemed especially good at driving play forward.

Strangely enough, I don't think missing out on him will be a massive loss to Stenhousemuir - central midfield is the only area of the pitch we're very well stocked in.

I get what you mean aye, unsure about signing him as we too are also well stocked in centre midfield. We already have Ryan McCord, Mark Whatley, David Gold and Gavin Malin capable of playing there.

1 minute ago, Lichtie78 said:

I get what you mean aye, unsure about signing him as we too are also well stocked in centre midfield. We already have Ryan McCord, Mark Whatley, David Gold and Gavin Malin capable of playing there.

I had to do a double take on Saturday because I was positive he'd joined you a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure it was mentioned somewhere on the board. Perhaps Dick Campbell has other plans for him, because I can't imagine why he'd want to disrupt the Whatley-McCord axis. I'm informed Scott was at his best at Ross County during their Second Division-winning season, where played as the "double pivot" in a 4-2-3-1 formation with licence to get forward with "runs that caused havoc".

I had to do a double take on Saturday because I was positive he'd joined you a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure it was mentioned somewhere on the board. Perhaps Dick Campbell has other plans for him, because I can't imagine why he'd want to disrupt the Whatley-McCord axis. I'm informed Scott was at his best at Ross County during their Second Division-winning season, where played as the "double pivot" in a 4-2-3-1 formation with licence to get forward with "runs that caused havoc".

It is a really weird one in all honesty. Liam Callaghan has been on trial recently too, so it seems Dick is hellbent on adding another midfielder.

1 minute ago, Lichtie78 said:

It is a really weird one in all honesty. Liam Callaghan has been on trial recently too, so it seems Dick is hellbent on adding another midfielder.

Weird indeed, I was thinking he might be looking at stringing four central midfielders across the middle of the park before remembering Bobby Linn and Omar Kader!

Weird indeed, I was thinking he might be looking at stringing four central midfielders across the middle of the park before remembering Bobby Linn and Omar Kader!

I can't see us playing 1 up top and pushing one of Scott/McCord forward either. Had we signed Scott previous to re-signing Gold and signing McCord/Malin I'd be pretty happy but right now it seems totally unnecessary when we could do with first choice players in other areas.

I can't see us playing 1 up top and pushing one of Scott/McCord forward either. Had we signed Scott previous to re-signing Gold and signing McCord/Malin I'd be pretty happy but right now it seems totally unnecessary when we could do with first choice players in other areas.

Kader will be fighting it out with him to start/benched. Pretty solid looking midfield now.

Eta: incidentally Campbell said 5 other clubs offered Scott a deal too, presume Stenny and Cowden would've been 2?

Gilhaneys wife is a teacher I believe.

Not too worried about missing out on Jimmy Scott. Thought Michael Hardie was a better proposition. No idea if he is still in the frame though. God knows we need a striker.

Barclay has been brought in as emergency cover as our no1 has an injury and we only have him and Brown on the books.

The only way he'll play is if Brown gets injured.

God help you if he starts haha.

With out a doubt barclay has been the worst keeper I have seen at ochilview in a long time.

I'm looking forward to tonight's League Cup kickabout with Queen's Park. Given we'll mostly be battling with them to avoid relegation, a good win and a solid performance would help lay down a marker. I have no idea what to expect but I think it'll be competitive.

Would love to make it through for this one but we are getting to take the wee one home from hospital today =).

Agree with FF need to lay out our marker for the season. Especially as we seem to be one of the favorites for relegation