Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

A bit late to the party but there's absolutely no chance Dougie Hill will join the club. I reckon he'll probably find himself back at Alloa Athletic before the end of the summer.

I'm pleased with the reports on Fraser Kerr, he sounds like the kind of player we badly needed last term. Looks some size of a boy judging by the photo on the club website. Vinnie Berry is a smashing signing and, despite some negative reports, I'm pleased Jack Smith has joined on. (I have no idea what to expect from these yung jobbers from the Forth Valley Academy.)

I'd still reckon we could do with another centre-back and a striker but I can't imagine anyone else we bring in will get the pluses racing. I'm disappointed that Carlos hasn't signed on (although we haven't had official confirmation...) but he's a real wildcard and I'd rather have him in the team than not.

Could be wrong but I doubt Dougie Hill will be back at Alloa. Jack Ross made it clear that players were free to take their time over contract offers but that they would run the risk of being replaced. Since then Marr has re-signed and Andy Graham and Jim Goodwin have come in. I wouldn't be sure Hill's offer is even still on the table.

Not convinced he will get a deal in the Championship so could well end up in this league.

Edited by Waspie

Who does Dougie Hill think he is in all honesty. Surely a defender who was not exactly a stand out at the worst team in the Championship can't really think he is assured to stay at that level.

Seems a bit delusional.

Who does Dougie Hill think he is in all honesty. Surely a defender who was not exactly a stand out at the worst team in the Championship can't really think he is assured to stay at that level.

Seems a bit delusional.

^^^ this.

His only realistic chance of remaining in the Championship was with ourselves or Ayr and we're sorted defensively, with better players than Hill. He may well get a deal at Queens or Morton but I'd be hugely surprised.

In all honestly he never impressed me at all last season but it's impossible to judge over a handful of games.

He's also a vile thug who cuts innocent women for fun.

I think Dougie Hill had other offers as well- not just in Scotland. So although it appears to be true that he would prefer not to drop down a league if he can avoid it, I dont think its necessarily accurate to say he's turning his nose up at the mere suggestion.

I would have liked him to stay at Alloa- think he would be a standout in League 1. But would be surprised if it happened now- looks like the manager has his back 4 in mind, and I'd heard there was possibility of potential loans he was looking at in these areas too.

The current Stenhousemuir squad looks like:

Goalkeepers

Colin McCabe (signed from Celtic (loan))

Sean Robertson

Defenders

Grant Hamilton (signed from Forth Valley Football Academy)

Fraser Kerr (signed from Cowdenbeath)

Jamie McCormack

Liam McMaster (signed from Forth Valley Football Academy)

Ross Meechan

Jim Paterson

Ciaran Summers

Midfielders

Vinnie Berry (signed from Queen's Park)

Alan Cook

Mark Gilhaney

Liam McCrory

Kieran Millar

Paul Nash (signed from Forth Valley Football Academy)

Calum Runciman (signed from Forth Valley Football Academy)

Stephen Stirling

Strikers

Colin McMenamin

Allan Smith

Jack Smith (signed from East Kilbride)

That's a squad of 20 so I imagine we've finished our business for the summer, unless there's a wildcard added to the pack late on. I still think we need a striker who can offer us an alternative in attack, like Jon McShane did last season, but other than that, this is as good as it's going to get. I'm hoping the four boys signed from the U-20s can step up and make a difference when required, we're quite light on experience in defence and midfield. (Come to think of it, between our goalkeeper and likliest back four, Jamie McCormack's the oldest player at 24!)

This team looks decent enough to stay up, I'd say. Anything else would be a bonus.

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

Goalkeepers

Sean Robertson

Defenders

Jamie McCormack

Ross Meechan

Jim Paterson

Ciaran Summers

Midfielders

Alan Cook

Mark Gilhaney

Liam McCrory

Kieran Millar

Stephen Stirling

Strikers

Colin McMenamin

Allan Smith

That's a squad of 20 so I imagine we've finished our business for the summer, unless there's a wildcard added to the pack late on. I still think we need a striker who can offer us an alternative in attack, like Jon McShane did last season, but other than that, this is as good as it's going to get. I'm hoping the four boys signed from the U-20s can step up and make a difference when required, we're quite light on experience in defence and midfield. (Come to think of it, between our goalkeeper and likliest back four, Jamie McCormack's the oldest player at 24!)

This team looks decent enough to stay up, I'd say. Anything else would be a bonus.

Has Jon McShane signed for anyone yet?

His career has been a massive disappointment since his successful half season with us.

Has Jon McShane signed for anyone yet?

His career has been a massive disappointment since his successful half season with us.

He disappeared to Australia three or four months into the season. I've got no idea what he's doing with himself over there. He looked alright in spells for us - for instance, he was excellent in the 2-0 League Cup win over Raith Rovers - and he gave us something different up top.

He was also nicknamed "The Mutant", which was pretty neat.

If that's our squad for next season I suggest we just ask to void the season and accept relegation now. It's absolutely rank

The people at the club a couple of seasons ago who couldn't do primary school maths should be ashamed

Goalkeepers

Sean Robertson

Defenders

Jamie McCormack

Ross Meechan

Jim Paterson

Ciaran Summers

Midfielders

Alan Cook

Mark Gilhaney

Liam McCrory

Kieran Millar

Stephen Stirling

Strikers

Colin McMenamin

Allan Smith

That's a squad of 20 so I imagine we've finished our business for the summer, unless there's a wildcard added to the pack late on. I still think we need a striker who can offer us an alternative in attack, like Jon McShane did last season, but other than that, this is as good as it's going to get. I'm hoping the four boys signed from the U-20s can step up and make a difference when required, we're quite light on experience in defence and midfield. (Come to think of it, between our goalkeeper and likliest back four, Jamie McCormack's the oldest player at 24!)

Are you serious F.F stay up

Looking forward to the season now, great to see the youngsters being given a chance. Only time will tell but as I've said before if you can't afford to buy anyone good then youth is a better option than bringing a squad of older guys who are at the end of their careers. At least with Mcmenamin and Patterson we have some experience as well.

I don't know. While I don't share Fudge's typically negative and over-exaggerated outlook, the squad does look thin in parts. Beyond the obvious starting XI and maybe one or two others, we're in a lot of bother if injuries and suspensions kick in, and we don't know if these young boys are good enough to step up. Having a couple of youngsters in the first team is no bad thing but a quarter of our squad is made up of boys brought in from the Forth Valley Football Academy.

Are they any good? Sean Robertson was fine in the one match he took part in last season, but Liam McCrory never struck me as anything other than "a bit tidy" and was immediately shown up when Angus Beith joined on loan for the last few games of the season. Can we count on him if Kieran Millar or Stephen Stirling are absent? I don't know. I wish them all the very best of luck.

So would I, but I think I'm more likely to be playing for Stenhousemuir this season than Paul McMullan. We're talking about the same things we did 12 months ago - he's proven he's too good for this division and if he's looking to develop as a player and stay in full-time football, there's no point in him coming back to Ochilview.

I'd love to see him playing at the Warriors again, I'd put him down as one of my all-time favourite Stenny players.