French Open Tennis

Loki

I'm not sure if I can remember Murray playing this well at any point of his career. The only performance that's come close to this one was back when he lost in five sets to Novo in the semi of the Australian in 2012. One thing I've noticed is that Murray seems to come off best when the playing conditions are poor. Whether it be hot or windy. Before the tournament started I didn't give anyone a chance outside of Novo and Murray. There were clear warning signs that Nadal's reign was coming to an end for at least the last couple of years. Even against a somewhat fatigued opponent I wouldn't give Wawrinka much of a chance in the final.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That 3rd set yesterday was as good as any I've seen in terms of momentum swings and excitement. Great stuff.

I'd fancy Djokovic to see it out having had a night's rest but if Murray can take him to a 5th he might just go favourite.

Had to thank my brother, who is a huge Djokovic fan, as soon as he started watching Murray started to take the upper hand. He's such a bad omen for novak.

Im buzzing for it - initially i thought it was disappointing that it came to an end when it did as Djoko looked like he was fading but we have seen this from him time and time again, he looks exhausted then gets a second win from god knows where and gets right back into it.

At 645 yesterday i was contemplating going to the game and i said to Mrs Throbber that this would be over by 7 (i think it was when Murray was up against a few break points when the 3rd was about 4-3 to Novak) then Murray came back from nowhere to liven the tie up and he looked the better player.

I had the bbc and guardian live blogs loaded on my phone from when I was travelling home after work. Funny reading the comments after the 2nd set in hindsight. All about how djokovic was on another level and murray was never going to be able to compete. He basically had already won all 4 majors this year tied up. The guardian writer said he wouldn't be surprised to see murray not win a single game in the 3rd set

Archived