FIFA officials arrested.

I wonder why it's the United States that have finally decided to actually do something about FIFA's nonsense? I imagine they will have an eye on hosting a World Cup in the next two decades, so it could prove costly for them to get on the wrong side of Blatter and Co.

Thanks. I had not realised that Jack Warner's son had pleaded guilty.

"On July 15, 2013, the defendant Daryll Warner, son of defendant Jack Warner and a former FIFA development officer, waived indictment and pleaded guilty to a two-count information charging him with wire fraud and the structuring of financial transactions.

"On Oct. 25, 2013, the defendant Daryan Warner waived indictment and pleaded guilty to a three-count information charging him with wire fraud conspiracy, money laundering conspiracy and the structuring of financial transactions. Daryan Warner forfeited over $1.1 million around the time of his plea and has agreed to pay a second forfeiture money judgment at the time of sentencing."

Wow!

I wonder why it's the United States that have finally decided to actually do something about FIFA's nonsense? I imagine they will have an eye on hosting a World Cup in the next two decades, so it could prove costly for them to get on the wrong side of Blatter and Co.

The Yanks bid for the 2022 World Cup and came second to Qatar.

Edit to add: Details of the 2022 American bid:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_2022_FIFA_World_Cup_bid#Details_of_the_bid

It would have been 28 years after they last held it.

Mexico, Italy, France and Germany have held it twice. In the case of Mexico, it was only a 16 year gap because Columbia couldn't host the 1986 World Cup.

Edited by FlyerTon

"Blatter & Co" will not be in control for much longer. It's possible that FIFA could be wound up and replaced by a new governing body. It just requires member associations to resign from FIFA and join the new organisation. Another possibility is that there could be a split, i.e. a breakaway from FIFA.

Jack Warner thinks he's oor Wullie, the wee scamp.

The people of Trinidad and Tobago will know that I quit FIFA and international football more than four years ago and that over the past several years I have recommitted my life to the work of improving the lot of every citizen of every creed and race in this nation. This is where I have let my bucket down.

If it comes to it, I dint think there will be another bidding process. It will be awarded to a coy try with the necessary infrastructure already in place. As Germany held it recently favourites would probably be England and Spain.

You can bet the FA will already be on the case.

If it comes to it, I dint think there will be another bidding process. It will be awarded to a coy try with the necessary infrastructure already in place. As Germany held it recently favourites would probably be England and Spain.

You can bet the FA will already be on the case.

England has zero chance, everyone hates them. China might be worth an outside bet.

Owen Gibson has the names of the ten individuals, all currently listed as current Fifa executive committee members, who will now be questioned by Swiss authorities over the 2018/22 World Cup bids. Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini, as Swiss residents, are not included, but will also presumably be questioned.

They are: Issa Hayatou (president of the Confederation of African Football), Angel Maria Villar Llona (Spain), Michel D’Hooghe (Belgium), Senes Erzik (Turkey), Worawi Makudi(Thailand), Marios Lefkaritis (Cyprus), Jacques Anouma (Ivory Coast), Rafael Salguero(Guatemala), Hany Abo Rida (Egypt) and Vitaly Mutko (Russia – head of the 2018 World Cup and sport’s minister).

Meanwhile, a search is underway in Miami at the Concacaf headquarters.

"Blatter & Co" will not be in control for much longer. It's possible that FIFA could be wound up and replaced by a new governing body. It just requires member associations to resign from FIFA and join the new organisation. Another possibility is that there could be a split, i.e. a breakaway from FIFA.

The only way this has any chance of happening is if the European nations resign en-mass. Despite grumbles, there appears to be little/no desire to do this (probably financially motivated).

It'll be interesting to see where this goes over the next few days.

Meanwhile, a search is underway in Miami at the Concacaf headquarters.

I read that at first as "Meanwhile, a search is underway in Miami for the Concacaf headquarters". I thought, hell, have they got a secret lair? :lol:

FIFA did not have time to erase all the computer files before the police raid. The Attorney General's Office's statement said that they had enough evidence to begin criminal proceedings. The Swiss Banks will have to co-operate too. This is just the beginning of the end for Blatter and his allies.