Motherwell FC 2015/16 Thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not too worried for the reasons people have said. Good back up for a few games/rotation.

In the unlikely event we line up in August with Clarkson and Moore as our only strikers, I will then be shitting myself.

That will happen at some point though. Season is long and the squad isn't very that big.

Craig Moore has it all to do this season. Last chance for him at this level for me.

Whether the injury has had an effect on him, I don't know, but he's got one more shot at Motherwell otherwise he'll be going down the Bob McHugh route.

I see Baraclough's interview from yesterday still has us in for McDonald.

""Manager Baraclough said: “Scott’s one we have been talking to. Scott will have options elsewhere, everything has got to fit within the budget but Scott is one I have kept in touch with.”"

Again, it's not really saying much that hasn't been said before and I can't imagine McDonald making any sort of decision until he's weighed up all his options but it's good to know that Clarkson coming in isn't precluding us continuing discussions (caveats, budgets etc etc).

As most have said if anything Clarkson seems like a good fit for the role that Sutton had in the latter half of the season ie: experienced head coming off the bench & someone who knows the league that we can rotate.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/david-clarkson-re-signs-for-motherwell-1-3813529

That will happen at some point though. Season is long and the squad isn't very that big.

It might be the case at some point. But that would suggest we will have another striker or two about as well.

Craig Moore has it all to do this season. Last chance for him at this level for me.

Whether the injury has had an effect on him, I don't know, but he's got one more shot at Motherwell otherwise he'll be going down the Bob McHugh route.

I'm willing to give Moore another chance. Bearing in mind he's only recently recovered from a horrible knee injury and came back months ahead of the actual recovery time, I would give him this year to really make am impact.

If he doesn't do much this year, he'll go join Boab.

Another striker has signed.

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2015/06/27/wes-fletcher-signs-on-at-fir-park/

“I’ve asked for the number nine jersey as I like the pressure of expectations. I know the previous player wearing that number scored a lot, so my target is to not only match that, but get more.”

No pressure there then.

Seems to have struggled to make the breakthrough at Burnley apart from a few sub appearances in the cup and was shunted out all over the shop on loan without much success. After he was released and joined York he seemed to settle and was having a cracking first season which saw him score 13 goals in 25 starts and linked with a few decent sized clubs.

Young striker Wes Fletcher is impressing at York City- Link

From what York fans say he got a bad knee ligament injury in March and didn't play again until the following season and he never really rediscovered that sort of form and after an injury hit season was released. The York fan that posted on Steelmen to tell us Straker was awful(bang on to be fair) seems to rate him and says he's an exciting player who's "A strong centre forward with the ball at his feet, who can hold off defenders and get in where it hurts".

He's got 25 goals in 75 career starts, so a goal 1 in every 3 starts during his career so far. To be honest this is exactly the sort of signing I've been expecting from Baraclough, taking a punt on someone from the English lower leagues with a bit of talent who perhaps has a point to prove.

We tried to sign Fletcher on loan about 6 or 7 years ago when he was at Burnley. Ian McCall pretty much had the deal done when Fletcher's old boy who was also his agent pulled the plug on the deal, claiming that he was capable of playing at a better level. It would appear that he hasn't quite hit those heights but he was certainly quite highly rated by Owen Coyle and at the time, was compared to Jay Rodriguez.

With Clarkson and Fletcher signed, and talks ongoing with McDonald, I would imagine that will end the rumour that Motherwell were in for Lyle Taylor which is positive for us.

Looks like a decent signing to me. Obviously gambling that he can recapture his pre-injury form, but he's got a decent record and has a point to prove. Only 24 too.

With Clarkson and Fletcher signed, and talks ongoing with McDonald, I would imagine that will end the rumour that Motherwell were in for Lyle Taylor which is positive for us.

I wouldn't be sure about that. In total (including loans, players not re-signing etc) we moved on 18 players at the end of the season. 4 of whom were strikers (Sutton, McDonald, McHugh, Erwin). It seemed clear from the way Baraclough was setting his team out that Erwin was key to the way he wanted us to play.

As it stands of the players we've brought in so far I don't think any of them really match Erwin's attributes and I'd suggest that of players we've been linked with Taylor probably does. Though it'd obviously be mental to expect us to be replacing those that left man for man (we're clearly not bringing in 18 players) I'd think there's probably still another forward player to come in for us.

Funny how the signing of Clarkson, proven at this level and scorer of 9 goals in this league last season, was met by dismay and scorn.

Yet, we sign Wes Fletcher, who I'm sure many have never heard of, and is coming off the back of a serious knee injury, and it's considered a decent signing.

Based on a quick youtube search all I've learned is that he's alright at penalties.

Reasonably happy with this signing and looking forward to hearing more. I'd kill to have skippy back, I actually think him and Clarkson would be a pretty good pairing.

We really need to get a goalie in and get him working with the defence imo. I'd take Long back tbh but from what I Barraclough said, the circumstances have changed a bit at Sheffield Utd so he'd probably want to try and get in there.

Archived