Motherwell FC 2015/16 Thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No snidey comment to go along with it?

Nah, I'll wait until his 'victory speech' where he tells us that he's running for US President and could have been managing Barcelona and not Motherwell had he assisted Strachan in guiding Scotland to the Euros before I say anything else. I'll let the man have his moment, he's earned it.

Being against Celtic makes MOTM less of an issue it's a game we're not expected to win, but are certainly capable of getting something out of. Celtic seem to be a fair bit better than when we last played tho

Pretty good yes, in a poor league where anyone can beat anyone. His record has not been great though and I think folk are getting carried away a bit by our recent good run. We were absolutely dreadful from the turn if the year until the end of February and our manager didn't cover himself in glory during that time. Like I've said though, I give him his due for the recent run but there's a lot of football still to be played.

Sorry this is absolute bullshit and a prime example of drawing an opinion from the results over what was actually happening in the matches.

For a start during that run of losses our general level of performance  was still miles better than we'd been under Baraclough or latter day McCall.

We came from behind against Hamilton and deserved the 3 points, only a late penalty denied us.  Ross County he had chance after chance after chance and Scott Fox had a stand out performance. Against Dundee we went away to a team that was in good form at the time and again deserved 3 points.  Only a very poor refereeing decision cost us.

Against Partick Thistle we were poor but no poorer than Thistle on an awful night on a terrible pitch.  A deflection in the last minute was the difference between the teams and I don't think anyone would have grudged us a point from the match.

The cup match against Inverness was closely contended, we got back into the match in the 2nd half and it was only won for Inverness by a world class strike of the like that the player that hit it will probably never replicate in his career.

Out of those  games there was probably 8 points that were dropped through either momentary slips of concentration, wonder goals or poor refereeing decisions. There was the 0-6 defeat to Hearts of course but over that run of games our performances were no where near "dreadful".

Seriously, I need to ask you if you were actually at any of these games and if you were, did you have your eyes open, because I've never heard so much tripe in my life.

We went through a period of extreme bad luck but there was nothing badly wrong with the general level of performance and guess what?  We've gone and put a run together now.  Irregardless of results our performances have been on a different plane of existence since the absolute debacle at Cappielow. 

Nah, I'll wait until his 'victory speech' where he tells us that he's running for US President and could have been managing Barcelona and not Motherwell had he assisted Strachan in guiding Scotland to the Euros before I say anything else. I'll let the man have his moment, he's earned it.

Ahh there it is.

Sorry this is absolute bullshit and a prime example of drawing an opinion from the results over what was actually happening in the matches.

For a start during that run of losses our general level of performance was still miles better than we'd been under Baraclough or latter day McCall.

We came from behind against Hamilton and deserved the 3 points, only a late penalty denied us. Ross County he had chance after chance after chance and Scott Fox had a stand out performance. Against Dundee we went away to a team that was in good form at the time and again deserved 3 points. Only a very poor refereeing decision cost us.

Against Partick Thistle we were poor but no poorer than Thistle on an awful night on a terrible pitch. A deflection in the last minute was the difference between the teams and I don't think anyone would have grudged us a point from the match.

The cup match against Inverness was closely contended, we got back into the match in the 2nd half and it was only won for Inverness by a world class strike of the like that the player that hit it will probably never replicate in his career.

Out of those games there was probably 8 points that were dropped through either momentary slips of concentration, wonder goals or poor refereeing decisions. There was the 0-6 defeat to Hearts of course but over that run of games our performances were no where near "dreadful".

Seriously, I need to ask you if you were actually at any of these games and if you were, did you have your eyes open, because I've never heard so much tripe in my life.

We went through a period of extreme bad luck but there was nothing badly wrong with the general level of performance and guess what? We've gone and put a run together now. Irregardless of results our performances have been on a different plane of existence since the absolute debacle at Cappielow.

I was at half of those matches, thanks for asking.

Indeed if you really want to know then I'll tell you that the only matches I wasn't at during January and February were the 0-6 v. Hearts at Tynecastle, the 2-2 at Dens the 1-2 at Perth and the 3-0 win at Tannadice.

I have been at every home match this season.

We were dreadful from early January until late February and there is not one result that went against us that I could point to and say we were unlucky. Against Hamilton, for example, we were defending desperately on our own 18 yard line for the last 15 minutes when only one goal ahead, it was no surprise that we eventually conceded as we were inviting it all day long. By all accounts, the same can be said of our capitulation at Dens Park and most certainly at Firhill and atr home against ICT in the cup. If you can't defend and invite the opposition onto you then you are always likely to concede.

So, just you climb down back off that high horse and wind your neck in.

All of the reasons MJC can't seem to stand him, are the exact reasons I think he's amazing.

What would you be doing if you're career had gone down a different path Mark?

Managing Liverpool.

:lol: Smashing answer.

I just think you've got to admire the balls of someone who genuinely holds that level of self-belief. It makes you look a bit of a p***k if you end up doing a terrible job, but A - he isn't doing a terrible job, and B - he clearly doesn't care if people think he's a p***k. Which is another reason I think he's brilliant.

I think the players are reveling in a general atmosphere of self-belief around the place again.

If some folk like him for his arrogance and overinflated ego then that's up to them, I can't stand him though for those reasons.

What I would say though is that he might get away with such an attitude if he was even a fraction of the manager that he seems to think he is. I've nothing against self confidence, indeed I admire it, but there has to be some degree of actual ability to be able to back that up. For example, I love Jose Mourinho and his famous "don't call me arrogant, but I am a European Champion and I think I am a Special One", on the back of winning the CL, the UEFA Cup the previous year and he then went on to romp the English Premiership and win Chelsea their first title for a generation.

McGhee, on the other hand, comes out with trumpet blowing nonsense like how he should have been Liverpool manager, then the next day loses 6-0 to Hearts with a ridiculous team selection and doesn't win again for another month. Not to mention his guff about how he would have preferred the Celtic job during his press conference to welcome him to Aberdeen and then goes on to have one of the worst win percentage of a manager at that club before he gets the bullet a year and a bit later.

As I said, I'm all about self belief and indeed, like you Al B, as I remember from Steelmenonline, I hate the small time, punching above our weight mentality that riddles our club, but with McGhee it's not about Motherwell, it's all about him and I do not believe that this man is good for Motherwell Football Club.

but with McGhee it's not about Motherwell, it's all about him and I do not believe that this man is good for Motherwell Football Club.

Where were we when he took over?  Where are we now?

Like McGhee.  Don't like McGhee.  I don't particularly give a f**k.  You don't help yourself sometimes MJC, when coming out with nonsense statements like the one quoted above. 

How is going from the bottom end of the league to the top end, with potential European football, not good for Motherwell?

How is getting the best out of players like Moult and Johnson, two sellable assets, not good for Motherwell?

He's done it before (the first statement can be taken word for word, and the second statment, swap the two players for Clarkson & Quinn - who generated £1m in transfer fees). 

Whether you believe it's all about him or not, success for Mark McGhee = success for Motherwell Football Club. 

Well, given that his predecessor Baraclough was an unmitigated disaster who was clearly miles out of his depth, what was needed was a manager who was at least semi competent to come in an drag us out of trouble. Now, fair enough, McGhee appears to have done that and for that I give him credit as of course it is better for Motherwell FC to be in with a shout of the top six than to be fighting relegation.

However.

I do not believe that Mark McGhee is a good fit for us, not in the present day. When he was appointed the first time around in the summer of 2007, he was in my opinion, the best managerial appointment that I had seen us make, certainly that John Boyle made during his time in charge of the club. His first seasin was excellent and the transformation and impact that he oversaw and had after the previous season was immense. We played the best football I have ever seen a Motherwell team play under McGhee that season and I cannot deny him that. His second season however, things had changed, he was clearly no longer committed to Motherwell FC and his conduct and attitude was all wrong. He was too big for us, at least in his own mind and it showed. He crucially made no attempt whatsoever to rebuild the squad because he knew he was offski, to Celtic in his mind, but in the end, Aberdeen. During that season, he made a catalogue of ridiculous team selections and then turned on the support for turning on him when it blew up in his face, taking zero responsibility for it.

It was the right thing therefore in summer 2009 that McGhee left Motherwell FC because he'd clearly gone as far as he could and he'd burnt his bridges with too many of the support. For us to then rehire him as manager last year, a manager whom large swathes of the support dislike (and believe me, they do, it's not just me) who has proved before and has done so again this time around that as soon as things aren't going well for him, he flounders badly, picks teams to 'prove a point' to the supporters and then blames everyone bar himself, was not the best course of action, in my humble opinion anyway.

It's all well and good when things are going well on the park, but McGhee's conduct and attitude leaves a lot to be desired for and he can't seem to handle any form of criticism when things aren't going so well and the team suffers badly because of it, ala our post Tynecastle run.

I will continue to support Motherwell, and if Mark McGhee continues to get results and get us into the top six or above, great. But will he be able to build a team? Will he have any interest in building a team? Time will tell.

In my opinion, McGhee is obviously a good coach, but he is also a very divisive individual who allows his own ego to override his job as manager. That, again, in my opinion, is not what we need at Fir Park.

Well, given that his predecessor Baraclough was an unmitigated disaster who was clearly miles out of his depth, what was needed was a manager who was at least semi competent to come in an drag us out of trouble. Now, fair enough, McGhee appears to have done that and for that I give him credit as of course it is better for Motherwell FC to be in with a shout of the top six than to be fighting relegation.

However.

I do not believe that Mark McGhee is a good fit for us, not in the present day. When he was appointed the first time around in the summer of 2007, he was in my opinion, the best managerial appointment that I had seen us make, certainly that John Boyle made during his time in charge of the club. His first seasin was excellent and the transformation and impact that he oversaw and had after the previous season was immense. We played the best football I have ever seen a Motherwell team play under McGhee that season and I cannot deny him that. His second season however, things had changed, he was clearly no longer committed to Motherwell FC and his conduct and attitude was all wrong. He was too big for us, at least in his own mind and it showed. He crucially made no attempt whatsoever to rebuild the squad because he knew he was offski, to Celtic in his mind, but in the end, Aberdeen. During that season, he made a catalogue of ridiculous team selections and then turned on the support for turning on him when it blew up in his face, taking zero responsibility for it.

It was the right thing therefore in summer 2009 that McGhee left Motherwell FC because he'd clearly gone as far as he could and he'd burnt his bridges with too many of the support. For us to then rehire him as manager last year, a manager whom large swathes of the support dislike (and believe me, they do, it's not just me) who has proved before and has done so again this time around that as soon as things aren't going well for him, he flounders badly, picks teams to 'prove a point' to the supporters and then blames everyone bar himself, was not the best course of action, in my humble opinion anyway.

It's all well and good when things are going well on the park, but McGhee's conduct and attitude leaves a lot to be desired for and he can't seem to handle any form of criticism when things aren't going so well and the team suffers badly because of it, ala our post Tynecastle run.

I will continue to support Motherwell, and if Mark McGhee continues to get results and get us into the top six or above, great. But will he be able to build a team? Will he have any interest in building a team? Time will tell.

In my opinion, McGhee is obviously a good coach, but he is also a very divisive individual who allows his own ego to override his job as manager. That, again, in my opinion, is not what we need at Fir Park.

post-3435-14598608934177_thumb.jpg

However.

If I remember correctly, you were one of the most outspoken critics of Stuart McCall, who was everything that McGhee isn't based on your screed above - a pretty humble guy, very loyal to us despite other offers and delivered us unknown levels of success in the league. If you don't like the "arrogant" guy and you don't like the "humble" guy, which Motherwell manager have you deemed to be good over the past couple of decades?

If I remember correctly, you were one of the most outspoken critics of Stuart McCall, who was everything that McGhee isn't based on your screed above - a pretty humble guy, very loyal to us despite other offers and delivered us unknown levels of success in the league. If you don't like the "arrogant" guy and you don't like the "humble" guy, which Motherwell manager have you deemed to be good over the past couple of decades?

There's no point wasting your breath, tbh.

We're good and winning games. If that's not good enough for folk, then there's no point worrying about what would be good enough.

Apparently Jimmy Calderwood was the man for the job.

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/215635-sportsound-watch-1415/page-23#entry10214768

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/223452-motherwell-fc-201516-thread/page-29#entry9815155

Archived