If you could sign 3 players....

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting question. It's not necessarily the best players but what team currently needs too.

On that basis.

Going off the same premise...

Centre back- the man in my profile pic, Johan Mjallby. Between him and Marc Rieper really, both outstnading centrebacks who could play a bit as well.

Larsson- might just sneak in ahead of Scepovic in todays team.

Debating whether to pick some one for left back or left mid but cant remember many good left backs in my time,depressingly Tosh McKinlay sticks out. So finally will go for the h** slayer that was Thompson.

Moravcik and Nakamura were much more talented but not as effective on the left.

Paul Hartley - because we need a bearded, gunslinging maverick with no respect for authority.

That Borthwick character would fit the bill. Can he play?

Your post got me thinking about the strikers we've had in McDiarmid Park era. There's been some crackers:

Roddy Grant

Paul Wright

George O'Boyle

Billy Dodds

Peter MacDonald

Steven Milne

Jason Scotland

Fran Sandaza

Steven Maclean

Stevie May

That's without looking into it and missing loads.

In answer to the original question; I'm stretching the 15 years a bit, but I'm going same as you and filling the squad with attacking players:-

Paul Wright - brilliant finisher, technically excellent and great hold-up play

Stevie Maskrey - winger who could dribble round 5 or 6 players before scoring. Genius.

Stevie May - local boy who left too early. Great energy and hunger for goals.

Michael McGovern - Our history with keepers has been pretty miserable in the post-Tony Bullock era, McGovern is head & shoulders above the rest we've had, and that would improve our defence immediately.

Eirik Cikos - Didn't have him for long but he's just a really good right back. Always nice to have one of those

Iain Vigurs - Coz he was great, wasn't he? And it'd be nice to have a threat from setpieces again.

Henrik Larsson... I'd still take him now even at 43 yrs of age... player manager haha

Johan Mjallby... Best all round defender I've ever seen in the hoops

and the third I think I'll go with Alan Thompson... was a tough decision between Thompson, Moravcik & Petrov tho

Your post got me thinking about the strikers we've had in McDiarmid Park era. There's been some crackers:

Roddy Grant

Paul Wright

George O'Boyle

Billy Dodds

Peter MacDonald

Steven Milne

Jason Scotland

Fran Sandaza

Steven Maclean

Stevie May

Not sure you've missed anyone out, I think you've been too generous if anything. Milne and MacDonald (probably Grant too) were First Division players and MacLean doesn't belong in that company either. Dodds wasn't at Saints for long and didn't score enough goals to keep us up and as much as he was talismanic last year, May isn't on the same level in terms of ability as the very best on the list.

Wright, O'Boyle, Scotland and Sandaza are the real quality there IMO, so from the last 15 years I'd take the latter pair and complete the foreign trio with Momo Sylla I think, who was not only great to watch but as versatile as they come. You feel he could have played any position for us.

Not sure you've missed anyone out, I think you've been too generous if anything. Milne and MacDonald (probably Grant too) were First Division players and MacLean doesn't belong in that company either. Dodds wasn't at Saints for long and didn't score enough goals to keep us up and as much as he was talismanic last year, May isn't on the same level in terms of ability as the very best on the list.

Wright, O'Boyle, Scotland and Sandaza are the real quality there IMO, so from the last 15 years I'd take the latter pair and complete the foreign trio with Momo Sylla I think, who was not only great to watch but as versatile as they come. You feel he could have played any position for us.

I agree not all of them are top league world beaters!! I was going on the impact they made on the team at the time. If you compare to what we had to make do with last season then I think any one of them of them would have started most games. If you're talking first division then O'Boyle played mostly first division for us, as did Scotland.

Paul Wright is the standout for me in terms of technical ability, and goalscoring. Surely if you're ruling out Dodds on length of time at the club then Sandaza would also be questionable. He only played for us for one season, was outstanding that first half of the season but pretty quiet the last few months.

Mommo Sylla was great for us. A real maverick with tremendous skill, I remember him being the one bright spark in a fairly ordinary team.. Then Celtic bought him and stuck him on their bench.

Nicky Weaver, need a decent goalie and he was excellent for us imo.

Andy Webster, defence is a shambles and desperately needs someone to organize back there also the captain we are missing.

Andy Robertson, not desperate for a left back but what a player.

I remember MoMo Sylla the first time I seen him against Norwich? In a friendly. Started doing keepie uppies then skinned the boy. Was outstanding for us and we got around half a million for him I'm sure then went on to nothing. Seen him play for Killie and didn't look like the same guy.

Mines would be

Mehdi Abeid - only a short term loan but you could tell he was away to bigger and better things

Stevie May - homegrown and scored for fun

Jason Scotland - played with a smile on his face and always put a shift in, knew how to find the back of the net as well

I remember MoMo Sylla the first time I seen him against Norwich? In a friendly. Started doing keepie uppies then skinned the boy. Was outstanding for us and we got around half a million for him I'm sure then went on to nothing. Seen him play for Killie and didn't look like the same guy.

Mines would be

Mehdi Abeid - only a short term loan but you could tell he was away to bigger and better things

Stevie May - homegrown and scored for fun

Jason Scotland - played with a smile on his face and always put a shift in, knew how to find the back of the net as well

Think Jason may be available!!!!!!!

Archived