The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

So we can't sign a proper holding midfielder in January but we can sign a bumpkin that was released by Alloa.

Well done Morton.

Exactly what I was thinking. Fair enough we need cover for GK but if the funds are there then a holding midfielder should've been brought in as well.

Do you really need goalkeeping cover? He isn't good enough to start and the boy who played for you the other night is almost certainly better cover than McNeil. Waste of a wage. Fair play to McNeil if he has managed to get a full-time deal though.

Aye, if Gaston was going to be out for weeks I could understand bringing in another goalkeeper as a stop gap, or hopefully in McNeil's case as back up to McGowan, but as it is Gaston'll likely be back in after Saturday.

If we had any money left we should have been looking for a holding midfielder to address the obvious glaring deficiency in the squad, rather than signing a goalkeeper who's known to be rubbish and will probably only play once.

Unless the plan's to pap McGowan out on loan?

Also a lot of folk moaning about the lack of holding midfielder but no-one's putting forward any names. It seems to be the same position a lot of clubs are looking at.

http://pfascotland.co.uk/player-availability/midfielders/

Naw exactly rich pickings.

Holding midfielders really are few and far between. I dunno if it's because every kid who comes throughout fancies themselves as a number 10, but they are hard to find. We have only had Goodwin playing the role for years now, and we were short whenever he moved to centre back.

I like this idea everyone has of this perfect "holding" midfielder yet few know what it is they want? They want someone there just to break up opposition attacks? Dean Keenan done that job fairly well but they wouldn't want him back. They want someone to come deep to collect and start movements from the back? Tidser's amazing at that.

I think until we sign Sergio Busquets people are gonna have a bitch that our sitting midfielder can't tackle, cover the defence, start attacks, shoot and do the occasional Cruyff turn for show without realising we're fucking Morton for f**k's sake and we're not gonna get the ideal player for that role and will have to fit players into it.

Unless the plan's to pap McGowan out on loan?

Also a lot of folk moaning about the lack of holding midfielder but no-one's putting forward any names. It seems to be the same position a lot of clubs are looking at.

http://pfascotland.co.uk/player-availability/midfielders/

Naw exactly rich pickings.

I like this idea everyone has of this perfect "holding" midfielder yet few know what it is they want? They want someone there just to break up opposition attacks? Dean Keenan done that job fairly well but they wouldn't want him back. They want someone to come deep to collect and start movements from the back? Tidser's amazing at that.

I think until we sign Sergio Busquets people are gonna have a bitch that our sitting midfielder can't tackle, cover the defence, start attacks, shoot and do the occasional Cruyff turn for show without realising we're fucking Morton for f**k's sake and we're not gonna get the ideal player for that role and will have to fit players into it.

It's perfectly reasonable for fans to point out a weakness in a team or say a player isn't good enough without saying what player is available who would be better. Football clubs have scouts and a management team with contacts to identify players, resources which aren't available to normal fans, and it's a club's responsibility to build a squad that's good enough with those resources.

I'm not asking for Sergio Busquets, I'm asking for any kind of naturally defensive-minded midfielder, as the four central midfielders we currently have at the club are all attacking players and we've gone through the season with the defence getting little or no protection from a midfield that has either had a centre back sitting or no one sitting at all.

I'm well aware that there isn't an abundance of players available in January and there's no guarantee any signing would be a success, but this is the reality of football management and managers at all clubs at our level have to deal with it. Despite this, we're the only club in the division with no one at all who can play the holding role.

It's perfectly reasonable for fans to point out a weakness in a team or say a player isn't good enough without saying what player is available who would be better. Football clubs have scouts and a management team with contacts to identify players, resources which aren't available to normal fans, and it's a club's responsibility to build a squad that's good enough with those resources.

I'm not asking for Sergio Busquets, I'm asking for any kind of naturally defensive-minded midfielder, as the four central midfielders we currently have at the club are all attacking players and we've gone through the season with the defence getting little or no protection from a midfield that has either had a centre back sitting or no one sitting at all.

I'm well aware that there isn't an abundance of players available in January and there's no guarantee any signing would be a success, but this is the reality of football management and managers at all clubs at our level have to deal with it. Despite this, we're the only club in the division with no one at all who can play the holding role.

Chris Turner's still available I think. Quality player if you can get him fit, although I don't think he's been fit for over a year now. Certainly not fully.

Judging by Twitter it looks like he's heading back to Northern Ireland. It may not be true but there appears to be lots of comments from Linfield fans etc.

Edited to add: should have mentioned that was in relation to the Chris Turner suggestions.

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery